Strezlecki Track

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 18:08
ThreadID: 34986 Views:2070 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling in July 06 to Cameron's Corner via Tiboburra and then along Strezlecki Track to Maree, then on Oodnadatta Track to Marla. If weather conditions are dry are both tracks ok for 2WD? We have a Citroen C5. Any thoughts or experiences driving these tracks in conventional cars?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 19:20

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 19:20
WendyL

We did a similar trip last Sept. in a Subaru Outback wagon.

As far as the NSW leg of your trip and as far as Innaminka you should have few problems as long as you stick to the main tracks.

You will have to endure corrigations beyond the Corner store and you must, I repeat must, take an extra spare wheel and not those space saver ones that many Euro cars carry. They will get you no more than 2 feet or less out there.

Carry extra fuel and water just in case. The only thing you may concider is your groung clearance, the Subaru is a bit higher than a std road car and we did have to be carefull on some raods due in no small part to the extra load carried for the trip.

The All Wheel Drive did give us a little extra security in sandy conditions but with care you should be able to do the sections i am refering to.

Beyond Innaminka via Strezlecki Track to Maree, then on Oodnadatta Track to Marla etc. I cannot advise you.
AnswerID: 178833

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 19:24

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 19:24
!MPG:11!

At Silverton after Innaminka etc. We then went south to Mungo N P and back through Ivanhoe, Hay & Griffith back to Sydney.
FollowupID: 435138

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:48

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:48
i'd take some extra tyres or put on a set that are heavier through the tread area to protect yourself - particularly if they are low profile ones. Have tyres that are easy to get the replacement size too. You won't know until you have finshed hw many flats you will get. Three members in 4bys in one week each had one flat on the Oodnadatta track just last month. They if they were like mine, using LT tyres with quite a depth of tread too.
AnswerID: 178875

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:03

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:03
Hello John, BIG KIDZ were here last night and the night before. Talked them into Warraweena next July - wasn't difficult. They've gone north today to stay with Bob Y.
FollowupID: 435248

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:36

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:36
Ruthie, I don't know that was the best thing to do as last time they were there they had a flood. Not quite to Noah's standard but a legitimate one just the same, they just said they would love to see the area after rain. Willie too was there and helped them to high ground.

Asked elsewhere if you sent Jen to Dinasoar Dick, so won't ask here. LOL

Did you get on well with my mate the GG? Have not had any reports of the trip.
FollowupID: 435251

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:14

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:14
Yep - if safety issues (comms, water, food etc) are in place, as mentioned above, clearance and tyres should be the main issues - if you remain alert, clearance should be ok for the whole trip you mention - be prepared for lower sill damage by stones though - even with comprehensive mud flaps, it would still be an issue for sedans with low clearance (on the stony sections mentioned below). Tyres seem the main issue as others have highlighted. The Strz and the Oodna tracks have some particularly stony sections - small stones but ALL stones - they usually play havoc with "soft", town (passenger class) tyres - people using light truck tyres have to take extra care in those places. Much better to have LT class tyres and two spare wheels - or leave the original tyres on (if you must) but still have two spare wheels at least. Ruth from Birdsville had a post awhile back about a couple of Ford Territories stranded in the town waiting for tyres to be delivered there - they had no spares left - some of the BV roads have the same surfaces as your intended route - often very smooth in general, but its those stony sections...............
AnswerID: 178903

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:09

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:09
Not many normal people would drive these roads in a Citroen C5...but thats not to say it wont do the trick..it probably will..and if you take a few weeks to do it at about 20-30 kph...i reckon you will have no problems...with the car that is....meanwhile think of the logistics of food, sleep etc and if you are on your own and have contact with extra terrestrial beings you will have no problems either...however if any of the afore mentioned does not fit your parameters...you should have yourself seen to by a special type of doctor..poste haste...also you dont state where your start point is ..i.e.. home paddock? Do you need to get the C5 back from Marla ? or leave it there ?..
Sounds like you are about to enjoy the adventure of a lifetime..but really I reckon your are having a lend of us all !!
AnswerID: 178981

Follow Up By: Wendy L - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 11:07

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 11:07
Not having a lend of you! Our teenage chn went on a school trip to Central Aust for two weeks in mini buses, their intended return trip was via Oodnadatta Track and Strezelecki Track via Cameron's Corner, Tiboburra and then into central NSW. They never completed this leg due to rain. I really just wanted some honest feedback on the road conditions etc. from people who have driven these roads. If too difficult, will not attempt it...but yes, we are slightly adventurous. Thank you to all who have responded.
FollowupID: 435335

Sponsored Links