L.E.D's and tail lights.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 17:30
ThreadID: 35113 Views:2123 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day there, I recently posted some questions regarding firing up my dummy GU IV Patrol tail lights. Someone suggested using L.E.D's instead of standard globes. I checked out the link they kindly provided. They looked the go, clusters of 8 diodes so they should be pretty bright you would think. Somebody else said they tryed some from J-car and they were to dull during daylight.
*Are they best only used with earlier patrols with the clear tail light lens?

*Are they worth the $50 for the set required?

Anyone who has had some experience with these much toted little diodes, please let me know!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mattfinish - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 17:38
www.ledshoponline.com/ Is the link given to me. Check them out see what you think.

Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 179494

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:10
Matt

I've got some pics of my ute with led's and with standard. The way my lights are designed is typically for the reflector to do it's thing with full illumination on it, but the led's don't utilise any of the reflector.

Send ya addie and I'll send the pics

Andy
FollowupID: 435734

Reply By: revhead307 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 17:59

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 17:59
Hi Matt,

What benefit are you chasing from LED's over standard?

LEDS have their uses, low power draw, very long life (probably never need replacing etc)

but in the application of tail lights on a 4x4:
I've never had to replaced tail lights on any vehicle I have owned (granted, holding period is limited to 5 years max).

As for current draw they are excellent for trucks who run multiple running lights etc...but the power saving will be so negligible it wouldnt be a consideration.

Im sure the LEDS would do a fine job but for my money, i'd buy a carton with the difference.

Rev

AnswerID: 179496

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:53
Mattfinish,
I fitted LED's to my Patrol, dim during daylight is an understatement, if you buy the right reflectors to go with the globes they work, this is one very important detail they don't mention when buying the globes. Plus if the globe faces out, you are better off than a globe that faces the reflector or some such similar design.
For my money and what I know now I would rather spend the difference on a carton or maybe some very expensive fuel as mentioned earlier.
If you want some to try I've got some sitting in my shed for a small fee you can buy them and try them I don't require them any more.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 179513

Follow Up By: geordie4x4 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:06
Thanks Martyn,
I was looking for some to fit my Pathfinder and a boat trailer as I figured they would be better than standard globes. Newer isn't always better. Took your advice and I got a carton instead.
FollowupID: 435725

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:22
geordie,

Now that you have mentioned a boat trailer, I can recommend LED trailer lights.
They are Maxilite brand and are available from AutoPro stores for about $40 each.
They are about 115mm square and should fit most trailers.

I got sick of the old lights. The globes made poor contact with the terminals from time to time and proved to be less than adequate.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179523

Follow Up By: Member - Alanc - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:19

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:19
I'll second that - I have LED lights on my camper and they are as bright as. Not sure of the brand but there are four separate lights , 2 x red brake & 2 x orange flicker with each being about 80mm square.
Since fitting these LED lights I have not had any light problems when hooking up the camper, with bulbs I was never sure they would work.
FollowupID: 435789

Reply By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:52

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:52
I converted the dummy lights on my GQ II to tail/brake lights. the dummy lens is slightly tinted and standard globes are dull during the day but not bad at night, certainly more useful than dummy ones.

I got 1 LED to see what it was like-waste of 20 bucks. barely enough light to get through the lens, they were more dull at night than the globes were during the day!

Needless to say the standard globe went straight back in and i'm currently trying to find use for the LED so my money isn't completely wasted.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 179574

Sponsored Links