Sydney to Mt Gambier..

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:54
ThreadID: 35119 Views:4259 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can any of you out there recomend the quickest way from Syd yo Mt Gambier...taking the rig down there on Sat ..Looked at Travelmate...got the details but are they the best way and quickest .??. I usually average 80kph on bitumen ..If necessary any ideas on an overnight stop ..in town of course !!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:46
Hi Steve,

Part of me says look at post #35050 but I have posted questions before with less than useful responses.

I agree with the trip suggested on the "whereis" website (same as Travelmate). Sydney to Melbourne (via Hume Hwy) then Melbourne to Mount Gambier (via Princes Hwy).

Melbourne is a long days drive @ 80 kmh (around 12hrs if you're stopping for breaks). Melbourne to Mount Gambier is an easy days drive @ 80 kmh. Melbourne is an easy place to stop for a night. There are heaps of places at the north of Melbourne around the Airport area. If you're only after a reasonably comfortable bed for the night then there is one of the formule 1 motels ($59) near Fawkner (almost immediately after the lights for the Western Ring Road.)

Hope this helps... Have a safe trip.
AnswerID: 179572

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 00:11

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 00:11
Mike

I think hes pulling your leg LOL
or all of ours

FollowupID: 435798

Reply By: Threskiornis - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:26

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:26
Steve, Trip planning websites tend to use highways only. You can save a lot using key secondary roads. Go to Melb. Western Ring Road, turn onto Western Hwy, go into Ballarat, turn L into Glenelg Hwy for two km, turn R into Latrobe Street (Carngham Road), continue through Carngham (if you notice it!) to rejoin the Glenelg Hwy 3 km before Streatham, and proceed to M`t Gambier. Do not miss the L turn 5 km west of Carngham. This route is about 50 km shorter than the Princes Hwy and you hit fewer towns.
AnswerID: 179582

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:19

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:19
Not all travel planners are the same – try

https:// www.mynrma.com.au/travel_planner.asp

This one gives you the selection of shortest or fastest route. Then wen you have your result you have the choice of displaying it in short or detailed format – the detailed shows cumulative distance and time plus maps of the turns.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 435883

Sponsored Links