Bush repairs that are still on there.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:48
ThreadID: 35127 Views:3454 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was out camping on the long weekend and noticed the piece of red gum stick that was holding up one end of the front number plate. I stuck it in there when the number plate nearly fell off on a corrugated track last year and I couldn't be bothered looking in the bits box for the right sized screw... It is still holding on strong.

That got me wondering how many bush repairs never get looked at when back in civilization.

Come on 'fess up. Who has still got "temporary" repairs on their bus that they have never found the time to fix up properly?

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:02
never done such a thing:))))
AnswerID: 179601

Reply By: Brid from Cost Effective Maintenance - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:33

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:33
I had a started motor problem on an Isuzu diesel in a Range Rover. It would just spin without engaging. The problem was caused by a worn out bush on the drive end.

I was flood bound at the time, so couldn't get a new bush. I ended up cutting a strip of aluminium (softer than the shaft) about the same thickness as the bush wall should have been. I bent this around the shaft to shape it. After trimming the ends and a bit of filing, I had a nice fit.

It worked fine, and I never did fix up the temporary repair. I don't think it would have worn out too quickly anyway.

Brid
AnswerID: 179613

Follow Up By: agsmky - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:53

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:53
Yep, that counts as "bush repairs" :-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 435890

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:46

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:46
Not exactly a 4X4 bush mechanic repair but anyway...

A mate and I had a big weekend of riding booked and organised and the afternoon before we were to leave we went for one last ride. It was getting dark and I noticed everytime my mate landed from a jump his Suzi RM had a few sparks coming from the swing arm. On a closer inspection we found that the swing arm bush was shot to pieces! We ripped the wheel and arm off that night to assess the damage and it became obvious that without a new bush (that we wouldn't be able to get in time) our weekend was over before it began! That was when we found this rather wierd piece of pretty solid black plastic (no idea what it was) that looked like it could be fashioned into a new bush. We filed it and cut it and ended up with a bush that worked and went riding that weekend!

The same bit of black plastic from under the cupboard was still on his bike 2 years later when he sold it! ;-)

Cheers
Scoey!
AnswerID: 179629

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:59
Yeah the front sway bar bush wore through on the surf causing a loud crashing sound everytime you acellerated or braked as the sway bar hit the chasis rail. I got some of my super doopa silicone and filled the whole where the bush should be with that. I tried to take the bolt off the sway bar to fix it properly when I got home, but the bloody thing wouldn't budge. (that part wasn't siliconed). Anyway, I figured, bugger it, works just fine as it is! It's still on there.
FollowupID: 435915

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 07:30

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 07:30
You have gotta love silicone - the modern man's bailing twine.

FollowupID: 435989

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:03
While travelling along a station track recently, my passenger noticed a few dribbles of green coolant leaking into his footwell. Seems it was coming from the heaterup behind the glovebox.

As we could not access heater hoses etc from in the cabin (GU Patrol),
we by-passed the entire radiator / heater system of the cabin, on the engine bay firewall, with a bit of hose. That was about 4,000 km ago.......no issues at all.

The cook was driving the car back in town the other day & had the heater up full bore...........she was unaware of my bush-fix..............didn't complain of lack of heat.................maybe I don't need to fix that heater!

Cheers
AnswerID: 179635

Reply By: Strawb - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:22
I had a Suzi few years back and the dizzy points spring broke. Just stuck a piece of foam I took from inside the car seat cover in behind the movable point and it lasted a week. Kept doing that until I could get new points. Purfik!

Strawb
AnswerID: 179636

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:15
Had the same problem on a mini moke and use a pencil rubber - lasted for weeks!

FollowupID: 435863

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:49
Not 4x4 but I used to drive a Mini and many years ago I was driving from Brisbane to Sydney on a Sunday.

Accelerator cable snapped and I was stuck. This car had a manual choke with a small handle mounted on the dash (if you could call it a dash). At the carby end I disconnected the choke cable and connected it where the accelerator cable attached. I had to use the choke handle on the dash as the accelerator but I got home. Changing gears was fun.

Kept it that way for a couple more days until the new cable came in. Probably not the safest arangment but its what you do when you are young and stupid.

Still love Minis
AnswerID: 179646

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:20
Used to have problems with the old 85 pajero standard fuel tank.

Full tank and corrugations and it used to get small splits along the folds from flexing.
Fuel would start dripping.

Had it welded a couple of times.

In the end what worked best was minties, you know the lollies.
Kids always complained and they always had to come out of my share of the packet.
Chew them up soft, and they stick real well, even with the fuel on the tank.
Then use to cut a bit of old inner tube to put in as packing between the tank and the tank guard.

Could drop the guard off, prop the tank (same bolts) and repair it in about 15 mins on the side of the road after the 5th one.

Those temporary repairs lasted well over 6 or 7 years.

Still have a few bits of fencing wire holding heat shields on the exhaust on this one to stop rattles.
AnswerID: 179699

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:03
What a great idea!!! My exuast shields give me the WILLIES! I've bent them, tightened them, whacked them with a hammer, everytime I stop it squeaking it starts squeaking again a few weeks later! I'm going to try the wire!
FollowupID: 435920

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:55
Had a CV boot go on my old Subaru out near Alice Springs one year.

(not that that's unusual for a Subie)

Cleaned it up and packed it full of grease, then sealed up with duct tape. Lasted a few months until Port Hedland. It almost took as long to pull the repair apart as it did to replace the joint......

Same car in 1987. Lost the drain plug out of the bottom of the radiator at Port Lincoln. Welded on a coin (can't remember which one) and it's still there........
AnswerID: 179773

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:47

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:47
Many years ago I had a fuel tank holed in a Holden Ute between Port Headland and Carnarvon (back in the days when that was all dirt.) Patched the hole with a piece of wet soap. Drove around in Perth for several weeks as I could not afford repairs. Then it rained and the soap melted and I lost a tank of fuel overnight.
AnswerID: 179790

Sponsored Links