Emergency windscreen

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:01
ThreadID: 35128 Views:3456 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Going to the cape next Sat, any ideas for an emergency windscreen. I had one years ago, a folded up piece of plastic, not sure how good it would have been. I have tried fourby and motor parts dealers. Most of them have heard of them years ago, but haven't seen them lately.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - uncle - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:09

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:09
Hi BM,
a mate of mine just broke his rear window in his Jackeroo, went down to the local hardware and came home with a roll of clear plastic about 1mm thick ,perfect! Fixed it on with some gaff tape and has done the job until he gets it into the panel shop next week,(getting paint touched up also). It would be a good back up for a cape or around Aus trip.Cheers.
AnswerID: 179604

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:12
Hi Builders Mate . Would you really need one ? virtually all screens are laminated these days so actually "breaking" it would be quite rare , unless a roo or something jumped into it at speed. You can always drive with a large crack until you can replace it. Just my thoughts .
Cheers Dave L.
AnswerID: 179605

Follow Up By: Rosco - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:32

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:32
I'm with Dave. The emergency jobbies hark back to the days of tempered glass screens. No longer necessary with laminated ones. Different story with any other glass in the vehicle though, as it's still usually all tempered.

Cheers
FollowupID: 435816

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:50

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:50
I have hit a flock of corella's down south in my 100series and the glass bleep tered to a gazillion pieces. It stayed together but there was no way to see through it. Had to drive with head out the window until we got into Corowa were we could get it replaced.

Builders Mate,
In an emergency you could always don the skin diving mask and bob's your uncle. Instant windscreen.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 435824

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:52

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:52
Only windscreen I've ever broken in 4WD was done on the M1 in Brissy. A modern laminated screen will crack but in most cases will still be serviceable till you get to the next town/city. Wouldn't bother with a spare. You're more likely to break a rear window, by flicking a stone back of your trailer, than a windscreen...
AnswerID: 179618

Reply By: Steve63 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:30

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:30
Hi Builders Mate,
You can still get plastic emergency windscreens from some car places. I think I got mine from MotoQuip. If I remember correctly I had to order them in (and find someone in the store who knew what I was talkiing about). Basically it is a bit of strong clear plastic that you duct tape on. They are a few dollars and fold down to 100 x 100 x 10 mm packet. With laminated windscreens they are unlikely to bleep ter but I have seen one on a troopy with a 50mm hole punched through it.

Steve
AnswerID: 179624

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:54
Saw a novel solution recently, coming back through Crystal Brook in SA's mid north.

A bloke in a falcon had a large hole in his windscreen, right in front of his face.
I assume the screen had bleep tered and crazed and he punched a section out so he could still see.

His solution.......He was wearing a full face crash helmet.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179728

Reply By: Boo - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:04
Evening Builders Mate,

We just got back from a trip and I had similar concerns before we left.
I agree with the above comments that even if the windscreen cracks , being laminated you probly wont need to rip it out untill you can get a replacement , but..... , I personaly prefer to have back up so we opted to go with the 1mm clear plastic you can buy off the roll from Bunnings etc. Rolled up with a rubber band around it and stuffed down the back of the storage crates and bobs your uncle...
as for the "temp windscreens", yes you can still buy them but I was unable to find them anywhere before we left. (not much help but) I did notice about a week ago that the shop/ servo at "Inaminka" had several on the shelf along the back wall and cost around I think from memory around $12 but trhats the only place I've seen the old style "Emergency windscreen".
AnswerID: 179731

Sponsored Links