High Lift Jacks

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:41
ThreadID: 35176 Views:2408 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon all....

I had need to use that miserable excuse for a jack in the back of our landcruiser the other night, and as such, I am in the market for a Hi-Lift Jack. We have jacking points front and back, as well as decent side steps if needs be, so I figure it may be time!

Given that we import bits and pieces from China from time to time, I have noticed one of our suppliers is selling jacks built to Australian Standards. Does anyone know if these are actually the ones sold in Australia, or whats the go there?

I mean, they look red and black and darn heavy, and look like a normal jack......

Just not sure wether to bring a few in in a one off purchase, or just buy locally.

What are your thoughts?

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:49

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:49
how you doing chump boy?

Nice to hear you guys are still doing well ... I have one - a yellow one - imported by Australian Tool and Ind Sales with an AS standard sticker on it - I think from SuperCheap that cost next to nothing but has stood up to 70000ks on the roof rack and about four or five uses for one thing or another - my heavily laden vehicle, my trailer and other people's and still works fine and has performed as expected.

I suspect they will be a bugger to sell/buy on eBay coz' of their length ...

I'm sure you know the drill on these things - clearly poor quality control or design, poor materials, etc. can make this a questionable exercise, but I bet HiLift get them made in the same factories and charge 3 or 4x the amount with the same or similar risk.

Ciao for now
Andrew who wonders who in Standards Australia has time to create a standard for things like this!
AnswerID: 179881

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:03

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:03
We're doin fine, thanks Andrew.

We have basically wrapped up the import business due to time restraints (and winch prices going through the floor - they sell them in Aldi now, fer christ sake!!!), and just keep in contact with a few of the suppliers in China.

But I mean, why would I buy one locally, when I can buy 3 overseas for the same price........ hell, if I could get a few people together and buy 10.....lol......no, I promised SWMBO I wouldn't do that any more......

Anyways - have fun!

Chump
FollowupID: 436061

Follow Up By: cackles - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:00

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:00
Is it from australian tool and inustrial sales in geebung? I have looked at those but wasn't sure how good thy were.
FollowupID: 436104

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:10

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:10
G'day mate,
IMHO the high lift jack is not a good substitute for a normal bottle-type jack if the intended purpose is changing a tyre etc.

1. They are VERY unstable and prone to allowing vehicle to "fall-over"

2. You have to lift the vehicle much higher to get wheel off ground (must use up all the suspension play first).

3. In the wrong hands they can kill, or at least break ya jaw!!!

I have one on the back of the Patrol, but it is there as a last resort, not as a normal jack. I use the standard Patrol's jack or the other one i also carry is a 6 tonne Lion brand hydraulic jack.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 179889

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:15

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:15
Thanks for that Roachie,

It was just a pain in the ar$e crawling round under the car, then bumping my head on the high lift mounting points.....

Anyway, it was SWMBO who made the comment "why don't you get one of those hi-lift thingies" - who am I to argue when she suggests I get a new piece of gear?

lol

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 436063

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:23
Roachie is absolutely right.

They aren't to change a tyre with, unless there is a lot of other supports to protect yourself ... they are to get yourself out of difficult situations, move things etc.

If you have a flat in a bad spot they may help you get off a stake or whatever, and allow you to get to safer terrain to use the proper jack in a reasonable position for safety.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 436065

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:49

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:49
Hey Roachie,

"6 tonne Lion brand hydraulic jack"

You planning to add a bit more weight to your Rig???

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 436113

Follow Up By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:35

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:35
G'day, Hi Lift Jack! wouldn't be without mine(had it 15yrs now). In my situation I use it for all my jacking needs, I always make sure I have the wheels blocked, front and back, never had a problem. Sure they are heavy but so is a lot of the equipment we all buy for our four wheel drives:- hand winches&wire, land anchors, our fridges, jerry cans full of fuel, all our tools. It's not like we actually carry the hi-lift around by hand, usually we take it off the vehicle and place it where we need it, use it then put it back on it's mount?.
Everything we use has it's place and I'm sure some of us complain about other equipment.......and so it goes.
andy
FollowupID: 436179

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:23

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:23
Agree that a high lift is not a tyre changing tool. Biggest problem with the Toyota jack is alot of people dont know how to use them even though the instructions are on the jack. i see so many people trying to drive onto rocks and spare tyres as well as digging holes to fit them under the suspension components. They go under the axle and the job is made easier if you carry an appropriate jacking board to take up most of the jacks travel when placed under the axle. I well maintained an lubed standard jack is a lot quicker than unbolting a highlift and a lot safer.
High lifts are a fantastic recovery tool especially when combined with a hub lifter to directly lift the wheel not the suspension
FollowupID: 436260

Reply By: mattie - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:27

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:27
Hi Chumpboy
I bought one from arb for my father(60") a bit dearer but they are better jacks (can buy spare parts etc) i have had mine for 11yrs and still works well for jacking your toyota i would recommen the longer (60") jack will lift wheel off the ground if u have a suspension lift.

Mattie
AnswerID: 179891

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:34

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:34
I hear what you are saying, but how many more spare parts would I need if I had 2 complete winches sitting in the shed?

I am wondering where ones like the ARB ones are made these days, thats all. They all look very similar on the websites, and if they are all made to the Aus. standard, I wonder what the differences actually are?

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 436067

Follow Up By: mattie - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 17:05

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 17:05
u will find out if u buy the other versions(or some of them at least) my btother inlaw bought a china made jack and if u had used it u would understand, the jacks from arb i think are still made in usa as mine is.

Mattie
FollowupID: 436095

Reply By: conman - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 16:25

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 16:25
Hi cb,

off topic, but I'd like to know if anyones used their sidesteps to jack up their car. Started once on my arb side steps, stopped very quickly:-}}
AnswerID: 179909

Sponsored Links