calvert ranges

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 23:16
ThreadID: 3524 Views:1561 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
can any one out there give me any information on the calvert ranges just out from the c.s.r. or any trek notes please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:16

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:16
Wombat we were there in July 2001 a great place with magnificient rock carvings. The track in leads off about 8 ks past (north) of well 16 the co-ordinates are 23,52,42 S 122,26,00 E the track in has some large dunes and when we were there is was raining slightly so the dunes were damp. they posed no problems however if they were dry it would have been a lot harder. You go through Sunday well 23,53,09 S 122,32,09 E and continue on. When you get to the range you will get to a T intersection your go left towards the main area to an area where there have been some camps. (don't camp there as there are better camp sites further to the west) There is a bit of a gorge,walk up the gorge to the head of it and back the other side and you will see some of the best rock carvings that I have ever seen . There was water in the gorge when we were there. You can drive around the range and come out at the T intersection on the road in. There had been a lot of fires in the area when we were there so the country could have changed by now. There is also a track that goes the the east towards the Eagle Hwy. But when we were there a vehicle was trying to get through but had to turn back due to burnt stumps staking tyres. Hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 13871

Follow Up By: Member - Colin- Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:08

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:08
Lindsay has covered it all - Trek notes aren't necessary. We were there in Aug 2001 in standard Subarus so the track is easy. The Petroglyphs are the best I have seen in the Pilbara - very different!. Our trip was 'due' east from Newman/Jigalong to Cannings Cairn - Calvert Ra - Well 5 - Carnarvon Ra - Neds Cr Stn. Going south on CSR means dune crossings are easier - less slope on Northern side ! Hema Maps report May 2002 - "The Jigalong to Canning's Cairn track via Savory Creek took us 4 days to do the 215km trip (we were bogged for 1 day of that) and will take a few months for the wet spots to dry out. The track is often hard to see but we were the first through this season." This route is great for those only wishing to do part of the CSR. Check track conditions and permitts are required for Jigalong.

FollowupID: 8253

Reply By: WOMBAT - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 22:56

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 22:56
thank you for the information on the calvert ranges . to colin , which map did you use for the track from jigalong to the canning cairn via savory creek please
AnswerID: 13950

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:25

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:25
That's an information I have been searching for. Thanks Collin.
I am also interested in a map that shows the track and a contact at Jiggalong for a permit.

FollowupID: 8309

Follow Up By: Member - Colin- Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 23:20

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 23:20
For a Permit, the info is on this site! -Aborigianal Lands Trust alt@aad.wa.gov.au - the permit took a while so plan ahead. We used Geological 1:250 000 maps Robertson and Gununya. Hema have used our trip reports to map this track - so they may be able to provide some advance map info. You can purchase fuel at Jigalong, but Murphy Law struck us! - even after phoning ahead the night before, they had run out of ULP just before we arrived. Diesel was OK! We set off about 20 Lt short. Our 3 Subarus crawled into Meeka on the smell of an oily rag - ~1300kms from Capricorn to Meeka (we had 2 diesel vehicles with us). The fuel consumption for our 3 Subarus ('91 "L", '90 Liberty, '01 auto GT Forester) for the section, Jigalong to Carnarvon Ra was the same, approx 14 L/100 km. If you would like some extra info drop me a line - colin.johnson69@bigpond.com
This is a great route with no need for fuel drops and fantastic petroglyphs to see at Durba, Calvert and Carnarvon Ra's. It would also be advisable to contact Neds Creek Station as a matter of courtesy.
FollowupID: 8343

Sponsored Links