Camp lighting

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:06
ThreadID: 35259 Views:2341 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for another light for camping, we currently use a versalite, which is great but would like something for the tent as well.

Ideally I would like a rechargeable light as I would like to be able to move it around easily. I was looking at the coleman rechargeables but i seem to recall if you do not keep the charging up the fail, not sure how I would go with that, also we have young kids so I am not too keen on gas at this stage.

I would appreciate people sharing their experiences with the various options.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:16

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:16
There are a variety of LED lights coming onto the market now - they may well do what you require. Check E-bay.

I have largely moved (back?) to a Coleman Duel Fuel lamp recently because I like the colour of the light, it's low fuel consumption and portability. Additionally it seems my low energy 12V fluro lamps appear to have a very significant output roll off against temperature. ie. as temperature drops they get dimmer and when it get to about 5C and lower that drop off in output appears to be significant, especially below 0C deg - anyone else notice it?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 180302

Follow Up By: Jodi - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:42

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:42
Hi Mike,
we too are juge fans of the dual fuel lanterns. Ours goes everywhere. Sit's great on top of a sand castle on the beach when fishing, lights up the camp area, tips over with out spilling, breaking or stopping (good for those accidents) and in 12 months we have never broken a mantle. I'm a huge convert. Also far easier to take with you than a torch in the middle of the night when you need to head into the bush with a shovel and roll of loo paper. Nice and light, no great gas bottle hanging off it.
FollowupID: 436619

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:30
G'day Robjo,
We currently use a gas lantern outside with our gas cooker and have recently invested in a 12v jumpstarter/powerpack. It has multiple uses which is the unwritten rule for camping gear. It can be charged from 240v or 12v(car) and we can plug in our phonechargers, battery rechargers, 12v fan and, relating to your post, our fleuro light which we hang from the hook in the ceiling of the tent and if we don't want bright light we just hang a t-shirt over it or for some atmosphere maybe my wife's red undies;-)
AnswerID: 180304

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:11

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:11
G'day Robjo, when it comes to lighting I think over the years I've tried them all. I started with a coleman lamp that I bought in Wangaratta in 1979(still have it it was dated 1909, as build date). Anyway I diverse, over the years I used battery powered lights but always came back to the coleman. Four years ago I updated and bought 2 dual element, dual fuel coleman lamps(great price for buying two). I only use unleaded as my fuel, very economical and very bright light.
Sorry, don't know about children but I'm sure they can be shown the right way to be around the fuel you use. Put it this way unless you have decent rechargable batteries your light source isn't going to be bright enough, nothing worse than eye strain.
andy
AnswerID: 180311

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:15

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:15
I don't know the brand (got it on special a few years ago from one of the auto parts chains), but we have one of those lanterns with fluro tubes. Lasts a couple of evenings or so until recharge, and puts out adequate light. Charge it in the car when travelling - also can be charged from 240v. It is labelled floated camping lantern. I hope this helps.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180331

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:04

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:04
You are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Kids being kids, it would be hard to leave them with a light that contains liquid fuel, so a rechargeable would seem the way to go. But kids being kids, they will forget to turn it off, just like they always forget to turn off dads dolphin torch, and you will always be looking for new batteries. The potable power pack sounds good though.
AnswerID: 180342

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:05

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:05
around the camp I use a 240v flood light....I hate not seeing what I cook and eat at night, this runs of the inverter with a nice long extension lead. I have used this setup in the tent with a much lower wattage lamp...40w I think but the problem with that was the light got really hot so we only really used it to get changed and find what we are looking for and then went back to the torches
AnswerID: 180344

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:30

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:30
I've had a range of lights, gas, battery (dolphin) and now i run two versilites (12 volts)and they work a treat for my style of camping. Gives me enough for cooking and eating and after that I turn one off I sit by the camp fire. The other goes in the tent.

It lights up the tent quite well, although the only thing we are doing to going to bed so don't really need the light. The down side is the lead only 5 metres

I would not use a fuel fired or gas fired lights in a tent at all.

I also just got a rechargable light given to me a colman but I have not used out camping so cannot comment there, although I have used it at home and it lights up the garage very well but this was via a 12volt not a installed battery. If this gives off the same light with rechargable batteries I dare say it would do the trick.

Brian
AnswerID: 180354

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:43

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:43
Teach them about renewable energy and accepting the consequences of their inaction - buy them this rechargeable wind-up torch.

Site Link

Mike
AnswerID: 180358

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:13

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:13
I have an older model Coleman Northstar Lantern which runs off 8 "D" size batteries. This lantern has a fluro lamp as is very economical. A set of batteries lasts about 2 years or so.

We only use the lantern for a short period inside the Camper tent until we go to bed. It has a dual intensity switch for the fluro and a yellow night light if required.

We use a Versalite outside.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 180381

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:28
I use a 60 LED cordless rechargable work light along with Versalights.
Have found it to be excellent & cost around $70.00.
AnswerID: 180545

Sponsored Links