Flinders Ranges August 06

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:20
ThreadID: 35268 Views:2846 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just wanting some input on our plans for Flinders trip in August this year. We are travelling in a 4WD with off road camper trailer from Brisbane: staying at St George, Nardoo Station via Cunnamulla, Noccundra, Innamincka, Montecollina Bore, then a few nights at Arkaroola, a night at Chambers Gorge, a few nights at Rawnsley Park, two at Angorachina or thereabouts, then Warraweena, Farina, Mungerannie, Birdsville etc then back home.

We will do Sky trek and a few other treks if possible, a bit of walking as well. There are two vehicles in our party with just the one trailer.

Any hints or improvements any one can suggest? We have a total of three weeks from home to home.

!MPG:4!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:01

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:01
Good walks (climbs) at Wilpena Pound if you are going to that area. The track up to Mt Olssen is on the outside of the range and has good views all the way.

Include the drive through Brachina Gorge. We went east to west through Brachina, then west to east through Parchilna Gorge.

When at Arkaroola, take the drive out to the hot springs; lovely drive. We also did the circuit drive in the Gammon Ranges.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180339

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:08

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:08
Thanks for the feedback Motherhen. We had planned on doing the Circuit drive in the Gammon Ranges. Will make sure we include the Brachina and Parachilna Gorge drives as well.
FollowupID: 436599

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:03

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:03
hi There

when will you be in the Flinders, as we'll be up there too in Aug, we'll be at Warraweena from about the 9th for about 4 nights.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 180346

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:06

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:06
Hi Lyn

We are planning to be at Warraweena about the 10th for 1 or 2 nights at this stage. Will look out for you.

Cheers

Cheryl
FollowupID: 436598

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:10

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:10
Hi again Lyn

I obviously haven't woken up well this morning. Didn't read your follow up correctly. We leave here in August but it will be 10th Sept when we reach Warraweena. Won't see you after all.

Cheryl
FollowupID: 436600

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:28

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:28
I'm told the Pitchi Richi Railway is worth a visit, if only as a fun diversion....
AnswerID: 180372

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:52

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:52
Yes, we had heard that too and have looked at the timetables etc, but will be on way north again on the Sunday when it is running. Still have a bit of messing around with itinerary plans though, so might still fit that in.
FollowupID: 436623

Reply By: pt_nomad - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:44

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:44
Hi Wayne and Cheryl,
we toured the flinders last year and thoughly enjoyed it. Out Visit was in september and the weather was v.good tho the flies are thick. Hat nets are worth while.
We spent 2 weeks, in the south at Arkapena bit under a week, Brachina gorge, Agorichina, Grindells hut in the north and then Mt. Chambers gorge.
Arkapena is very rustic - buch camping with flushing toilets and hot showers. Fire wood is provided, price is right and its conveniently located.
Brachina gorge is well worth 2 nites.
Agorichina is a bit of a hole, but a handy washing stop and good for a trip for some feral food at the prarie hotel. We stumbeled into blinman for the 'cook out back' comp - was great.
Blinman pools walk is quite an effort.
Prarie hotel is worth the experiece for some feral food.
I felt Arkaroola was some what run down and generally expensive. We camped at Grindaell's hut, down side is its an hour drive from Arkaroola, but a nice place.

Cheep showers area available at the ranger station at Balcanoona.

Mount chambers gorge is a worth a look, aboririginal rock carvings, it is confusing as to weather you are allowed to drive right into the gorge. Vehicle tracks when we were ther indicated that this is frequently done.

Highly recomend the 'Arkapena scenic adventure' - later in the afternoon and 'Mt Samuel 4WD experience'.
Sky trek is good,the 4wding is v. easy but it is a long day.
Eco camp back track in the gammon is another big day but a v. good trip.
The Sillers lookout tour in the gammon is well worth the effort - but exy for our family of 5. Another well worth while splash with cash is a flight over wilpena.

Many of our experices are written up in LRC ACT CampGroundCorner

Given limited time I'd recomend (4wd):
Sillers lookout.
Echo Camp back track.
Mt. Samuel
Arkapena

Angorichina 2 nights. Blinam, Mt. Samual, Prarie hotel - sunset hill.

Brachina gorge 1 or 2 nights.

Arkapena
Hills homestead walk.
flight
moralana scenic drive.

Leigh creek in the north is good for supplies. Its an expensive mining town and the grog shop onened v. late on the day we were there. would pay to check. Also check the use by data on meat and milk.
Haweer is worht a visit for re-supply in the south. Better cafe food / prices than wilpena and its not far from arkapeen / raunchy park.

aveagoodone
Paul
AnswerID: 180515

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:27

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:27
Paul

Thanks for all that. It is hard to decide where to go with limited time. You have given us a lot to ponder over. We want to see as big a variety of the area as we can. It really helps to get some different ideas from those who have been there. Things like supplies, campgrounds etc is helpful as the ads etc all say they are great!

Hoping we have as much fun as we did on last year's trip to Cape York. We don't get much opportunity to really get away.

Thanks again
Wayne & Cheryl
FollowupID: 436790

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:38

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:38
pt_nomad wrote: "Mount chambers gorge is a worth a look, aboririginal rock carvings, it is confusing as to weather you are allowed to drive right into the gorge. Vehicle tracks when we were ther indicated that this is frequently done. "

You are allowed to drive through the creek bed up til the gorge proper where signage asks you to respect the traditional aborigines and do not drive further. It is considered sacred grounds, however there are no physical barriers to stop 4wds continuing further on. We respected the area and just took photos of the surrounding countryside.

Andrew
FollowupID: 436791

Reply By: Dave198 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:02

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:02
G'day Wayne
I have just been searching in the archives to see what was written about good and not so good roadside stops and came across your post.
When you are around the Wilpena area, as suggested Arkapena Scenic drive is really good. Plenty of diverse scenery and it takes about 3 to 4 hours depending on how many photo stops you want. Key for gates is at Rawnsley Park I think.
Some other suggestions if you have the time to do this. To get the best of the Flinders you stay on the side where the sun is. To go to Brachina Gorge from the Wilpena area, go through Bunyeroo Gorge. the turn off is only about 10 minutes or so towards Blinman from the Wilpena turn off. It is well signposted. Two reasons for going this way. You need to do the Bunyeroo part in the morning fairly early because the view from the Razorback Lookout is just awesome, one of the best in the Flinders. But it is best with the morning sun. Another reason I think to do it this way is that you are going downhill a fair bit of the time, and you are looking down through various valleys etc. I have done it both ways many times and I think timing and the direction are important.
Anotherr suggestion, go up to Blinman and then through to Parachilna, but go via Glass Gorge. Again you are going downhill a lot of the time so the views are the best that way. This drive is also best in the morning too.
Try the Feral Food at the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna if you want. How adventurous are you.
Then in the afternoon it is really beautiful driving down the west side of the ranges with the sun hitting the western side. Spectacular.
Email me at bharrie at ozemail dot com dot au if you want more info
Dave
AnswerID: 180729

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:47
Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback. We really enjoy photography and appreciate the hints about the direction and time to go to these places for the best views etc. We are getting closer to a final "plan", but of course things always change. Might get back to you again when we get a bit more together.
Wayne & Cheryl
FollowupID: 437038

Reply By: Dave198 - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:45

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:45
Wayne, I used to go there over many years as a tour guide and so have done these trips at all sorts of times and seasons.
Will give you a bit more a bit more info on photo stops if you are interested.
I understand that there are only so many hours in a day and the last thing I want to do on a holiday is make it like a route march. Up at sparrows in the morning and finish up getting to bed a bit before sunrise.
You are going to go through some beautiful country on your trip and it is hard to decide how many hours or days to spend in any one area. You get home and feel like you need another holiday 'cause your buggered.
Dave
AnswerID: 180806

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne & Cheryl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 13:07

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 13:07
Dave, Would appreciate more hints on photo stops etc. Our plans so far are: Nardoo Station via Cunnamulla, Noccundra, Innamincka area, Montecollina bore, Arkaroola, Grindell's Hut, Rawnsley Park, Brachina/Trezona, Warraweena, Farina Mungerannie, Birdsville, Windorah etc to home.

Planning to do Arkapena Scenic Drive, Visit Mt Chambers Gorge, Bunyeroo Gorge, Razorback Lookout and perhaps stockup at Hawker, although we are usually pretty self sufficient for food having frig/freezer and the camper trailer.

We usually like to start 8am or thereabouts for the day, as we are used to getting up reasonably early, and like to finish the day early so we can be set up and have time to relax or look around before dinner, and have dinner well in hand before dark.

I used to do a bit of travel myself years ago as a tour driver, mostly with school groups, but didn't spend much time in the Flinders area.
Looking forward to some more advice.
FollowupID: 437099

Reply By: Dave198 - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 15:47

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 15:47
G'day Wayne,
If you want to contact me privately on my email address, I will attach a bit of a map and notes of the Wilpena area with a few spots on it for you.
Dave
AnswerID: 181049

Sponsored Links