Back from the Outback

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 19:29
ThreadID: 36420 Views:2673 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, thought i would let everyone know about our adventure in the great Australian Outback. Left Melbourne in late June for a 4 1/2 week journey to Wilpena, Arkaroola, Innamincka and beyond. The trip started well, then we hit a hitch between Wilpena and Arkaroola with some idiot coming the other way in the middle of the road doing about 90kms. You can guess what happened next, yep!! a smashed windscreen, right hand corner, luckily enough, i could tape the inside and outside. We enquired about another screen, but i thought even $500 was a bit steep, even at Arkaroola, so we battled on and replaced it when we got home for $145. We then stopped for lunch and noticed water dripping from the water tank on the camper trailer, damn a rock had hit the edge of the drainage tap, and lost all 60lts of water. Once at Arkaroola, after patching up the tap, they gave us drinking water for the tank. After 3 nights at Arkaroola we were off to Cameron Corner where we meet up with Bill for a few beers and a great night sky. Next stop was Innamincka for 4 nights, great fishing in the cooper, and sunday's roast at the pub is a must, also the hamburger with the lot is a must. From there to Haddon Corner for the night, then Birdsville where we made it by a few hours before the heavens opened and blocked all roads. We waited a few days before heading out to the Simpson, being our first trip in the desert ( wife and kids not sure what to expect ) we packed the tent and sleeping bags onto the roofrack and drove out to Poeppel Corner for the night ( 9 hours each way ) via big red, leaving the tambo at Ruth's place. From Birdsville we headed down to Marree then up the oodnadatta track to Dalhousie Springs, via a night at Clayton springs and 2 nights at Coward springs, fully recommend both. The drive to Dalhousie was very corrogated and slow, close to 4 hours from Oodnadatta, but it was well worth it. While camping at Dalhousie we went to Mt Dare for lunch and meet Dave who showed us through the new, but not open pub, which we missed the grand opening by a week. From Dalhousie we headed to Coober Pedy ( via the painted desert ) , Port Augusta then home. 4 1/2 weeks gone in a flash, but we had a great time and fully recommend the great outdoors,no matter where you go. Already planning the next trip - the Kimberleys. Navara and tambo c.t didn't miss a beat. Will have some pixies over the weekend.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jezza (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:00

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:00
Hi Lance,

Thanks for the trip report - great to hear you had a good time. I am interested in your trip across the Simpson - you did it without the camper trailer - in hindsight, could you and would you take it next time?

Cheers,
Jezza.
AnswerID: 186977

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:56

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:56
Hi Jezza, we only went to poeppels corner and there was alot of water around and we saw one trailer in that time and he got stuck 3 times. The dunes were easy because of the rain, but i couldnt tell u what it would of been like without the rain. No i wouldn't tow.

cheers,
Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 444131

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:40

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:40
Good to see you had a good trip Lance.Don't you just love it when people from the city driving country/outback roads ,drive like they are going to work & don't give a rats about anyone but them selves whilst they are out there.I don't mean all of them,just the minority.
Cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 186982

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:45

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 20:45
Only takes one though Bob, to really stuff things up sadly.

Glad to read you had a good time Lance.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 444129

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 22:00

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 22:00
Hi Lance,

Good report mate. Looks like you had a great trip despite the hiccups.
I think a trip is sometimes made more special when adversity pops up. Just as long as the bad luck is not too major.

Well, you did all of "God's Country" in one big trip. There's a couple of places you mentioned I am yet to visit. But we'll get there sometime.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 187005

Sponsored Links