TWINE SHOWER SYSTEM IN A GU 4.2TD

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 16:19
ThreadID: 3654 Views:3103 Replies:14 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
i have installed a Twine unit in my 4.2td gu nissan and have found that it does not heat up as well as the 80 series and as such I have to run the motor at higher revs to acheive reasonable shower. Has anyone else experienced this with the nissan? I am considering fitting another exchanger (with a bypass option) to help with this problem. I live around the Victorian High country and the water is a bit colder than up north where it was not a problem when we travelled to the cape.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 18:28

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 18:28
Hi Dave
The solution is fairly easy. Unless you are drawing straight from the river then just circulate the water back into the bucket for a few minutes to add a bit extra heat to the water, I agree up North no problem, but then they don't get our high country, traqcks and snow to play in. I notice that my GU does not get as hot as the 80 series I used to own
Ray
AnswerID: 14433

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:08

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:08
For the High Country in winter I fit a small disc in the hose before the shower head, it is a disc with 6 holes in it and slowes the flow rate down ever so slightly and allows the water to heat up more.

You need to remove it for up north as it makes the water to hot, the disc was supplied with the "Glind" shower.
AnswerID: 14467

Reply By: Frank - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:17

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:17
Dave,
Today's modern vehicles have a very efficient cooling system, hence the difference between temperatures in heat exchange.
Rather than going off to but a second heat exchange unit, go to a refrigeration mechanic or a good plumber and have them make you one up. Ask them to make it slightly longer or wider, depending on space available under bonnet.
When the size of the exchanger is increased they can accomodate a larger number of internal piping twists. This effectively increases the resident time of the water in the exchanger, hence hotter water throught the shower piping. This way, you don't have to slow the shower head rate to a dribble, which is almost as bad as a cold shower.
If you are interested I can email you the drawing.

Regards
Frank
AnswerID: 14479

Reply By: dave- Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:01

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:01
thanks to all that have replied and I have already tried all the answers that I have received. In regards to fitting a disc to restrict the flow of water it can be done by slightly closing the hand control to help retsrict flow. My exhanger is fitted to the firewall and I do have a provision of fitting another exchanger albeit a bit smaller. This is a great website. I have spoken to John about the lack of heating in the GU and suggested the exchanger be a bit longer to cover all models and I personally woould not mind having to pay that little bit extra.
AnswerID: 14482

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:24
Dave , i had the same problem with my 4.2 Gu , it got me thinking about how to overcome this common problem with the GU. I have made a prototype heat exchanger, quite unique i think, that is mounted in the engine bay, it takes up NO extra room in the bay, no extra piping or awkward hoses, just loop the fresh water together in series with the Twine and it raises the temp another 10 deg c. I'm just finalising my 3rd prototype, just making a few more improvements, and i think it will get to around 45 deg at idle or just above. The last thing you need is 2000 RPM in your ears in the bush, just the reason you are there in the first place, to get away from the noises of daily life. I'll let you know how it goes when i'm finished. Regards Michael
FollowupID: 8711

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 13:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 13:59
Dave , one other thing, I dont think the by-pass idea is any better, if the heater tap is on full and the fan is off, once the whole car heater is up to temp, i think the losses from that area would be very small. My thoughts only. Michael.
FollowupID: 8728

Reply By: John Eggenhuizen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:18

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:18
Hi Dave,
I own both Getabout 4WD Adventures and Twine showers.
In comparison to an 80 series cruiser, the GU normally runs a good deal cooler.
I have run my Twine unit down in the high country and yes I agree I do have to have a few more revs, I find in my vehicle (same as yours) that I have the revs around 1400rpm. I often shower up to 10 of 15 people and at those revs the shower is fine.
If you are still not happy with the system, give me a yell and we can exchange your unit with one that is 65mm longer. This would go a long way to solving your problem.

kind regards

John.
AnswerID: 14504

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:32

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:32
Hey there john, really great to see you on here supporting your product.
My wife and I are about to buy one for our series II disco.

What do you suggest for that are we going to have trouble free warm showers all over australia?
FollowupID: 8743

Follow Up By: John Eggenhuizen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:06
Hi Dolfn,

Thanks for the great wrap, we like to think that we can be fairly supportive to those who use our product.
So with your Disco, is it a TD5 or a V8, we have fitted them to the TD5 and they sit very nicely next to the rocker cover on the passenger side, if you trace your inlet heater hose you will find that it runs through that area. We don't have specific bracketry for the TD5 yet, but we're working on it.

cheers,

john
FollowupID: 8745

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:30

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:30
Yes John it is a Td5 and if you can have a bracket organised in the next month, then sir you have yourself another sale.

Im in the Sydney area, so I might pop around to prospect one day and see how I should go about fitting one.

Thanks again for your support ;)
FollowupID: 8746

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:27
Yes John it is a Td5 and if you can have a bracket organised in the next month, then sir you have yourself another sale.

Im in the Sydney area, so I might pop around to prospect one day and see how I should go about fitting one.

Thanks again for your support ;)
AnswerID: 14509

Reply By: dave charlton - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:29

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:29
Gidday John, I would like to try the longer exchanger you are offering. Are you going to the Albury Wodonga Caravan and Camping and 4Wd show this year? If so we could chat then. Our unit has converted quite a few people from the traditional way of the canvas bucket and has kept the financial manager (wife) very happy when we have been away. There is nothing like a never ending shower when you want one. I have fitted a swivel joint onto the hand peice and we also use the spring loaded shower tent.

AnswerID: 14821

Gidday John, I would like to try the longer exchanger you are offering. Are you going to the Albury Wodonga Caravan and Camping and 4Wd show this year? If so we could chat then. Our unit has converted quite a few people from the traditional way of the canvas bucket and has kept the financial manager (wife) very happy when we have been away. There is nothing like a never ending shower when you want one. I have fitted a swivel joint onto the hand peice and we also use the spring loaded shower tent.

AnswerID: 14822

AnswerID: 14823

AnswerID: 14824

AnswerID: 14825

AnswerID: 14826

AnswerID: 14827

Reply By: dave charlton - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:30

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:30

AnswerID: 14828

Follow Up By: dave charlton - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:33
Apologies! I do not know how I managed to stuff that up with the reply.
FollowupID: 8964

Sponsored Links