Ice avail Gibb River & Evacool esky fridge conversion

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:15
ThreadID: 3772 Views:2957 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I own a Evacool esky which I have found to be great keeping ice for long periods compared to plastic units, and they are strong.
Heading for the Gibb River Rd what is ice availabilty like - block ice or party ?
Also has anyone fitting a fridge system to there Evacool esky and what has the results been ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:53

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:53
Ice available Kununurra, El Questro, Mt Barnett Roadhouse, Iminitji Store, Old Mornington, Kalumburu General Store and possibly one or two others. All party ice. Cryovac meat available from Kununurra (absolutely the best meat) and Broome (also extremely high quality and we still get it sent to Port Hedland regularly) that should last you 5-6 weeks in your Evakool and even better the fridge. We used both last year and got 6 weeks out of meat packs.Coops
AnswerID: 14975

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:02
I have an Evakool fridge which is basically the 60 lt esky with a Danfoss compressor mounted on the side. Evakool carried out the retrofit a couple of years ago, but I believe it cost around $700 now. We have ended up with a good fridge and the insulation properties of the Evakool really help reduce power consumption over other 12v fridges due to reduced cycling of the compressor. Overall a costly upgrade but it beats soggy ice and the extra space the ice used to take up is handy for a few extra tinnies :)
AnswerID: 15005

Follow Up By: Beddo - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:19

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:19
Thanks for the advice - today I went into the local camping store to enquire about fridge motor unit to fit the Evacool (grabbed the brochure and was going to check it out tomorrow - $700 bucks hey. Oh well with a few more long trips I 'll save money - just think how much ice costs, water damaged food etc - and as you say the most important - room for more beer !!!
I guess I'll have to send the unit up to the factory in QLD or can you do it yourself - anyway I'll ring tomorrow.
FollowupID: 9170

Sponsored Links