I AM LEAVING FOR CENTRAL AUSTRALIA MAY 24TH FOR A 5 WEEK 4WD
HOLLIDAY MY COCERN IS MY GIRLFRIEND AND I ARE DOING THE TRIP
SOLO [ ONE CAR] HOW SAFE IS IT OUT THEIR ? AND HAVING ONLY A
HAND WINCH AM I BETTER OFF MEETING OTHER TRAVELLERS UP THIER
AND GOING AT IT WITH THEM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:13

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:13
It all depends on where you intend to go and how experience you are and how well setup you are.
Will
AnswerID: 14969

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:55

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:55
If you are driving into Palm Valley with a 4x4 you should not get stuck. Just stay in the tracks. If you drive to Chambers Pillar it is an easy run over the dunes. If you attempt to go into Ruby Gorge then you may get into trouble if you aren't careful. Most of the other tourist places in and around Alice Springs and environs are accessible by 2wd cars. The road to Uluru is sealed all the way. There should be lots of travellers around by the end of May so you will not be alone out there. Just make sure you carry at least 20 litres of water with you at all times and a spare jerry of fuel. Have fun. Cheers, Willem
AnswerID: 14976

Reply By: forge - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 18:14

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 18:14
Hi Robert
I agree with Will , it depends on where you go . Most placers you will get into ok , but watch out for Boggy Hole , great place ,but the sand there can be deadley ,so stay on the main track . Also ruby Gap & Glen Anny Gorge ( my favourite ) ,you have to drive up the river bed to get to it . When you get to the sign that sayes cars not recermened past this point , you still have 6 ks to go ,but if you take your time you will get there , its worth it. Buy for now ERROL.
AnswerID: 14977

Reply By: ROBERT - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:13

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:13
THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR INFO IM TRYING TO GET A WAY FROM THE TOURISTS SHOULD BE OK JUST HAVE NOT HAD MUCH EXPERIANCE IN
SAND
AnswerID: 15062

Reply By: johnsy - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:00

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:00
Robert don't be worried about sand in central oz unless its wet because in the Hay Finke and Hugh can contain quick sand but if you stay on the tracks you can't get into trouble .(The Finke and Hugh have just run so will be nice and clean around May .)Rule 1 have a air compressor if you cant afford a u bute one hire one borrow one and get it serviced before you go or buy the old twin tubed manual type .Rule 2 if your unsure of yourself go straight to low range then your've got the option of the using whole box .rule 3 have recovery gear .you know you have it right when you dont leave skip marks after your've driven through and you aren't reving your motor.
AnswerID: 15076

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:50

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:50
My 2 bob's worth: 1. If in doubt, walk it first. 2. Don't be afraid to let your tyres down to 5psi if necessary for very short periods and very low speeds. 3. Take some photos, become a member then we will all be able to see your vehicle in an "adventureous poise".

Mal T.
AnswerID: 15084

Follow Up By: ROBERT - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 16:00

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 16:00
THANKS MAL FOR THE INFO
CANT WAIT FOR MY TRIP
AND WILL BECOME A MEMBER
IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS
AS I FIND SO MUCH INFO FROM
THIS SITE SEE YA
FollowupID: 9149

Sponsored Links