Christmas holiday

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 387 Views:1564 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of traveling from sydney
to Flinders/rangers,Uluru in december/january
over a 7 week period will the heat or wet be
tolerable any hints for this time of year.
thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Linda - ExplorOz team - Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Les, I can only really tell you about Flinders Ranges which we visited in February this year. It was unbearably hot BUT it was during a heat wave. Its not the ideal time to visit the ranges. I would suggest that if you're towing, check your a/c can cope as this was one of our biggest problems. The upside is that you'll find less people around than school holidays in peak period. Regards, Linda (ExplorOz)
AnswerID: 979

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00
Les, I have visited the Flinders the last 2 years for 2-3 nights, around boxing day. Both years the weather was very mild (high 20s- low 30s) & this year there had been good rains in the weeks leading up to Xmas. (terrific driving through gorges as only open to 4WDs due to severe wash-outs.) The biggest advantage of this time of year is the solitude. Beautiful to be the only ones camping in the gorges. The down side, no camp fire, not that it was needed of course. The A/C must really be up to scratch as must your cooling system. As for going to the centre/Ayers Rock at that time of year, you must really like unbearable hot conditions and wish to test your friendship with your truck. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 981

Reply By: John Wood - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00
Lee, I agree with Mike about the Flinders Ranges. We spent last New Years Eve at Wilpena Pound Resort for their New Years Eve Party and the following week in and around the area. It was a gamble (on the weather) that paid off. The weather was hot, some days up to 40°, but not unbearable. The camping was great. Parks have really improved the camping areas. I would however recommend that you take adequate clean water from home with you for your cuppa and general drinking/cooking requirements. My wife ended up with a tummy bug, type undiagnosed, by the end of the trip. As for Uluru at that time of the year I cannot give you any first hand experience. But for the Flinders ranges, keep looking at the weather charts and try to make a long range guess. We did and it was a great success. Good travelling Lee.

John
AnswerID: 988

Reply By: Steve W Alice Springs - Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Les, Most people think it is too hot here in the centre during the christmas/new year period and that the only time to visit is during the dry season ie june/july.In actual fact we do get visitors all year round and yes it is hot during the day in January It can get up to 42 0c with overnight of 30 or so but our heat is normally a dry heat. Probably equal to a 30 to 32 degree humid day in Sydney. You do not say what vehicle you are using, do you want to stay on sealed roads or go 4wding. Airconditioned cabins are available at the Yulara camp ground and they have there own phone number or you can go through Yulars resorts central booking in Sydney no problem getting in this time of year. The rock climb gets closed if it is too windy or if the temp is over 35 0c so it is best to climb early if you intend too and be back down by 9am preferably. Yulara resort has good facilities and swimming pools etc.Hiking etc is not really recomended.
It is possibly to rain in January in the centre and the rock with water on it would be a great site to see. If it does rain it normally does not last that long and the roads dry out in one to two days usually.If you carry enough provisions and are prepared this is not a big deal. All the main roads are sealed and the main problem we have with tourists is that they travel too fast for the conditions and cause themselves to have an accident. We have a lot of single vehicle accidents.Alice Springs has a lot to see and do and a lot of the gaps in the ranges have water holes to go swimming in etc.
AnswerID: 1084

Follow Up By: Les Carr - Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 17, 2001 at 00:00
To Steve W Thanks for the positive feedback
we will be in your neck of the woods over dec/jan
and can't wait for the time to come I drive a
prado and tow a camper-trailer.
cheers Les.
FollowupID: 309

Sponsored Links