Sydney Getaway - Yengo NP (Big Yango)

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 21:16
ThreadID: 3942 Views:4961 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Top spot to visit just a short trip north of Sydney in Yengo NP is a place called Big Yango. National Parks have just started to allow access to this beautiful spot; I have visited this spot on several occasions and also have viewed the Precinct Plan for the area. This recently public exhibited plan (Plan of Management) has National Parks providing controlled access to the area. The area is permit access only - to ensure that numbers are limited into the area to protect the environment, homestead & infrastructure aswell. The area is a combination of rugged Hawkesbury Sandstone country, cleared pasture land which is regenerating in areas - while areas around the homestead circa 1973 (previous one burnt down) are to be kept in a manner representing it's European heritage (dating back 150 years). The area also encompasses the spectacular Mt Yengo a volcanic remnant which is highly visible from miles around standing 300m higher than the surrounding landscape. This area is also rich in Aboriginal culture as it is this mountain that the Dreamtime creator being 'Biamie" stepped down from the heavens and first trod on Earth at this stop causing the mountain to be flat topped (mesa).
Visitors are able to camp remotely (bush camping) or stay at 2 large camp grounds (basic facilities - to be constructed soon); or rent out the homestead (sleeps around 12 people).
Recreation varies from basic bushwalking, cycling, 4WDing along numerous trails (wet weather may close some from time to time) and also horse riding - so a bit for everyone.
Fees are payable for camping (call National Parks at Gosford - 02 43 204 200) and also there is a key deposit of $200. Book a couple of weeks ahead is the only hassle - cannot get access on the spot unless you go to the office at Gosford first.
I've stayed there and the rates are reasonable and the place is very peaceful - top spot.
National Parks is also working with the 4Wd Assoc as part of a cooperative management deal - clearing tracks, fuel sampling, plant & animal survey etc.
This is a new approach to management of a National Park area that I'm aware of, so I hope it will continue and no individuals wreck it for the rest.
Go see yourself - if you know the area it is just south of the Yango track and Howes Valley track east of the Putty Rd between Wollombi and Putty townships.
Have fun, Cheers Beddo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BM - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 17:51

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 17:51
I agree with Bedo, very nice area to visit. I drove a lot of those trails in October when the area was on fire. Bulldust was quite severe in most areas and the trails were starting to suffer from the heavy fire tankers we were driving. Some of the trails were widened at the time and I would imagine that these trails will still offer good access. The area seems to be regenerating nicely, from what I have observed when drivng down the Putty Rd.

Cheers,

BM
AnswerID: 15701

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:14

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:14
Beddo,

Is key access required for day trippers, or just campers?
AnswerID: 15770

Reply By: Beddo - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:32

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:32
Yes you do - there is a gate at the entrance 5Km from homestead - though you can walk in. NPWS don't want anyone to vandalise the homestead (the old homestead was burnt down by vandals back in 1971).
Day entry is possible though the setup is that you pay for the one day & this includes camping for one night (no discount if you do not camp). Otherwise NPWS would have to supply a heap of keys to day users - this way visitation is kept down and parks can monitor visitor numbers and ensure that recreation is sustainable in the area.
I have heard that the fees are going straight into the maintenance of the area aswell.
It is great to see that 4WDing is permitted & horse riding etc and the place was not just closed and accessible to walkers only.
If you call the NPWS office at Gosford and ask if the Rangers are out there then you could possibly line up entry without a key !
They are out there quite regularly undertaking Blackberry control at present.
I know there is a Ranger there tomorrow but I what time they arrive on site is anyones guess - usually in the area around 1000 - 1030 o0r near Finchley camping area - you may catch them there.
Cheers Beddo
AnswerID: 15816

Sponsored Links