port-a-winch

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:29
ThreadID: 4001 Views:3016 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody used or heard about these brawn port-a-winches? I saw them at the 4x4 show in Sydney. As my bullbar can't have a winch I was wondering if they are any good.Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 18:13

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 18:13
I had a look at one when I bought my Brawn 9500 from the supplier in Melbourne. I think that they are more designed for emegency service work. You need to make space in your vehicle for one and they are heavy( 25 kilos?). I think that they would work just as well as a normal winch and will give the flexibility of virtually pointing the winch in any direction. And you are able to winch backwards...but I have done that with a bar mounted winch with a bit of effort. Think of the weight and your back when you lug the winch out of your vehicle while it is perched at a precarious angle. In your situation I would go for a Tirfor Hand winch or alike. Just some thoughts.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 15917

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 23:04
I agree. Also it's easy to overlook if you're in knee deep mud situation. Stability is bad enough walking around let alone the weight of the winch and trying to mount it if your bull bar or rear is under mud or in a deep creek.
Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 9733

Reply By: chrisfrd - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:37
I've used one!

They aren't very friendly! I built-up an electrical system to allow the use of the winch from the tow-bar of the truck and found it wanting. The big-haul gets the nod..... Save the moolah and buy any hand-winch...

Remember the second rule of 4x4ing.. Don't go where you don't have to, unless you KNOW you aren't going to get stuck. Plan your winching points ahead of time if you think you will get stuck and DON'T PANIC!
AnswerID: 16118

Sponsored Links