Vans offroad

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 00:30
ThreadID: 4079 Views:1616 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a three month trip up north and across the top in july.
I have recently purchased a 1983 Jayco dove to tow behind my 2.8L diesel pajero. Are there many places to camp other than caravan parks with my van. I am concerned that the van is going to restrict my travelling too much especially when thinking about going into places like Tunnel creek where there are corrugated gravel roads. Would I be better off without the van??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:44

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:44
John, if your trailer has the off road suspension pack, it should go most places, provided you take it easy. We towed a Kimberly Kamper into lots of places such as the Bungles and across the GRR, with no probs. If it is not the off road setup, quite simply leave it home or stick to the bitumen and carry a tent, to do the places you can't take the trailer
As for camp sites, they are limitless, the top end is just the place for bush camping, just don't become croc fodder.
Enjoy your trip.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 16229

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 19:50

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 19:50
Hi John,

IMO it is far easier to find good free campsites up north than elsewhere in Aust where local councils are frantically putting up "No Camping" signs. In the Top End there are sealed access roads to the main tourist attractions like Litchfield NP, Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, Daly River. Minor attractions will be via unsealed roads but when we lived in Darwin we found most gravel roads fairly good (although corregated) except following rain (unlikely to affect you in July).

From Katherine to Kununurra to Broome highway is pretty good in most places. Your problem will be how far off the road you can get to access good camping spots. Some will be easy (eg. campground just west of Timber Ck) others not so (Gregory NP). My advice, there'll be plenty of folks around at that time of year so make a point of talking to and seeking advise from travellers coming from the direction you intend travelling.

Geike Gorge - can't camp there now so would probably have to stay the the CVP at Fitzroy Crossing anyway. Just take a day trip out there minus the Jayco.
Tunnel Creek - easily accessed in a day from Derby so if you're concerned you needn't take the Jayco out there. My folks left their van at Derby and reckoned they could have got in there no probs but conditions vary from week to week depending on when the grader went through.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 16350

Sponsored Links