Jeep TJ Wrangler

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 17:29
ThreadID: 4110 Views:3307 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.
We are taking our Wrangler out to the Gulf Savanah area of Qld. in July. We are still working folk so our trips need to be done in 10-14 days. We use the wrangler as a work vehicle so keep it stock standard, this helps with power to weight ratio and maximises fuel economy. The Wrangler in stock trim is a tad low and whilst we have never had any problem on trails around here we are interested in any experiences any body else has had with like vehicles in similar areas. We are well aware of the joys of corrugations on the SWB, although i have done other trips in larger vehicles and that aint so hot either....any comments appreciated...thanks.Old Wheeler Geezer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:06

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:06
G'day Old Wheeler Geezer,

I don't have a Wrangler but I think it should be well able to accomodate anything you might find in the Gulf savannah region.

That is unless you are a "died in the wool Extreme Rock Hopper"

Otherwise I think your Wrangler should handle anything thrown at it in the normal course of off road 4WD touring.

The gulf Savannah - what a great place to be in July.

If you plan on including the lava tubes in your itinerary, stopover at Bedrock Van Park at Mt Surprise - the people who run it are legends, and it is one of the most friendly places you will find in a day's march in the outback.

The boss is a registered Savannah Guide, and you can organise trips to the tubes from there.

Also, if you have the time and like Aussie history, Burke & Wills camp 119 on the Great Top Road just out of Normanton is worth a visit

Corrugations???? what corrugations???? :) :)

Enjoy the Gulf

DennisN
AnswerID: 16375

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S. - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:57

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:57
thanks Dennis...Had both of those spots on our "must see" list...looking forward to it...

Ian. NOld Wheeler Geezer
FollowupID: 10060

Reply By: Cobes - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 20:36

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 20:36
Hi Old Wheeler Geezer,
Last July I drove my TJ up to the Cape from Sydney and then travelled via the Gulf To Darwin and then home via Alice all within three months.
I towed a Cub Off Road trailer for the whole duration and had no problems.
You will love the trip.

Cheers
Cobes
AnswerID: 16458

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S. - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:58

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:58
Hi Cobes...Is your TJ in stock suspension and tyres ?...thanks for your interest.

Ian N.Old Wheeler Geezer
FollowupID: 10141

Reply By: Cobes - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:25
Hi Ian,
My TJ has quite a few modifications which made the trip a little easier.
I have an Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift with 31 inch BF Goodrich All Terain tyres. I have also reduced my ratios to 4.1 and have ARB lockers front and rear.
Any stock standard TJ would be able to manage this trip without a problem. I also have Poly Air bags in the rear to assist towing my trailer.
Where abouts are you located?
Cheers

Chris.

AnswerID: 16492

Reply By: Member - Ian S. - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:36
Hi chris...Tin Can Bay Qld.

thanks for info...have been reviewing lifts etc....not sure whether to go for your type set-up or leave her stock for this trip and do the mods later....

Ian N.Old Wheeler Geezer
AnswerID: 16498

Reply By: Member - Ian S. - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 13:36
Hi chris...Tin Can Bay Qld.

thanks for info...have been reviewing lifts etc....not sure whether to go for your type set-up or leave her stock for this trip and do the mods later....

Ian N.Old Wheeler Geezer
AnswerID: 16499

Reply By: Wooders - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:50

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:50
A few of the Lads on the AusJeep forum (http://forums.ausjeepoffroad.com/) have setup their TJ's for doing this sort of work.
The moderate 2½" OME kits is a godsend in stopping the belly & fuel tank from dragging so much in the dirt.
I'd also highly recommend a long range tank.
A few of the Lads in the Sydney Jeep Club have also fitted rear bumpers with dual spare mounts or extra Jerry can holders.

AnswerID: 17653

Sponsored Links