new windscreen leaks

Submitted: Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 19:30
ThreadID: 41242 Views:1923 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I had the windscreen replaced in my GU patrol about 18 months ago since it was fitted I have taken it back three times to re-seal as it has leaked while giving it a tub. After washing today more water on floor back to same company to get it sealed yet again.Thank god it has a lifetime warranty but it is a real pain to have to contact them and get my vehicle there for yet another go at fixing it. They claim it is difficult to seal near the snorkel. Has any one else had this problem and how did you solve it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HK - Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:19

Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:19
Had mine replaced by O Brians this December-no water leaks also no rain to check but the rubber strip blows out -they are comeing to repair tomorrow!
AnswerID: 215517

Reply By: Grandpa joe - Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:21

Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:21
G'day blog's,
I am due to get a new windscreen myself. (bulls eyes and chips from certain tour operators trucks in Kakadu that don't slow down on the dirt)
I have had similar problems on my last 4B and will be removing the wind screen myself as most windscreen mobs hack the paint behind the seal where water sits, (rusts out the frame couple of years later) now I will carefully touch up and seal these scratches and remove the outer snorkel assembly for the windscreen guy to have a good go at it and water test it properly before putting the snorkel back.
A friend of mine works in a panel shop and watches these guys removing the glass and putting the new ones in nearly every day, say's he wouldn't let any of them do his 4B as he reckons they put butchers to shame although his boss loves all the rust repair jobs when the insurance jobs are quiet!
AnswerID: 215518

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 21:09

Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 21:09
Spot on there Grandpa joe, I use to work for smash repairer and was a case of what customer dont see wont know about but can tell you if and when I need myn replacing I will be doing the same as you have done, I am so lucky (probably jinx myself now) but still have the same windscreen since brand new, heaps of stone chips,couple of bullseyes but none have taken off and joined up (just luck). Very pitted and is hard some times when the sun is glaring in but have put up with it. Got the wifes new car 3 days before xmas and copped a beauty stone while on the f3 going up coast. Got my mate out who does chips and they drill out etc and fill in to stop the pressure and seems to be ok. New windscreen for her car is $1200 fingers crossed.Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 475803

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 20:27
Joe

I just had my windscreen replaced because it had a large crack and on the passenger side leaked like a sieve in heavy rain.

The bloke that did it explained that most problems re leaks were caused by the drain holes at the bottom of the screen becoming blocked,

He stated that sealants normally caused rather than cured leaks.

Mine had three different sealers on the passenger side trying to fix the leak.

Basically as long as the drain holes are not blocked the rubber does not need sealers.

AnswerID: 215523

Follow Up By: joeblogs - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:20

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:20
Thanks alot guys you have instilled great confidence in me that they may be able to do the job properly this time. I thought a company as big as obriens would know how to install a windscreen correctly.
FollowupID: 475870

Sponsored Links