Which Electric Brake Controller?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:43
ThreadID: 4258 Views:3071 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Advise needed,
I have just installed electric brakes to my Cub Off Road trailer which weighs about one tonne when loaded.
I have not as yet decided on the controller. (pendulum or Electric)
Can anyone provide their opinion as well as distributors ideally between Sydney and Newcastle.

Thanks
Chris.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dave- Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:08

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:08
Definitely Pendulum. The electric ones are usually only on or off whereas the pendulum ones give a graduated braking effect depending on the baking severity of the tow vehicle.
I have a pendulum unit fitted for my Hawk Jaco, which pulls up a ton and a half. If you travel off road the adjustable braking is needed to stop the trailer wheels locking up all the time. The pendulum must be set up properly but this is easy and the braking can be varied by the slide on the front of the unit.
Saying this Redark does have a variable electronic unit but I have not seen this in action. Have a look at their site below under tech tips.
I think they only give an adjustable brake force, which you need to adjust.

http://www.redarc.com.au/aboutus.htm
Perhaps somebody else has had experience with this type.
AnswerID: 17037

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:43

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:43
Absolutely Pendulum- have had both and there is NO comparison!!
I have a Tekonsha and can't fault it!
Don't know re distributors as I live in Brisbane..
AnswerID: 17041

Reply By: damien - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 14:45

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 14:45
Yep agree, go the Tekonsha - they are fantastic & fully adjustable to suit the conditions.
AnswerID: 17051

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:23

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 22:23
toshenka the way to go fitted them for years while doing tow bars not sure where you are but hayman reece distribute them in victoria well they did about 10 yrs ago been that long since ive done themlooking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17178

Sponsored Links