Dual Battery Systems

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:06
ThreadID: 42761 Views:3734 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I am installiing a DBS in latest Prado T/D. I have had the hard sell on VSR's from Matson, Redarc TJM, ARB's Smart Solenoid and the Piranha DBE 180S. Can someone out there without a vested interest give me some advice as to whether they all basically do the same job as each other, reliability,service backup robustness etc. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:12

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:12
I've had a Redarc for about 4 yrs. No problems. Keeps the auxillary battery charged and can be used to jump start the vehicle if necessary.
AnswerID: 224351

Reply By: WA 1968 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:26

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:26
G'day davali

I have a 2004 T/D Prado and had a Rotronics DBS installed in mine @ purchase. Never had a problem whatsover, have run the Engel on super cold for upto 5 days without recharging and vehicle turned over first crank. Few off my mates have installed the same system and have not had any probs either.

Just my two cents worth
AnswerID: 224357

Reply By: Robnicko - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:42

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 15:42
Davali,
I have the Piranha DBE180s+ in my 80 series. Very happy with it, easy installation, has inputs for solar panels and battery monitor.
Also it can run a third battery.
Most importantly it offers surge/spike protection.

The only thing it doesn;t do that some of the others can is jump start but if need be I'm sure running a jump lead from 2nd batt to main batt would be ok.

Thanks
Rob
AnswerID: 224360

Follow Up By: Robnicko - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 16:08

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 16:08
Davali,
I also should have mentioned it can run different sized batteries as well.

Rob
PS.I do not work for them, but have found them very helpful.
FollowupID: 485231

Follow Up By: PoppyG - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 17:33

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 17:33
Davali, I am looking at either putting a DBS or deep cycle / self charger on the camper, so I will watch the comments closely and with interest. Mark
FollowupID: 485264

Reply By: Member - Franga (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 16:52

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 16:52
Hi Davali,
I have run redarc in all my vehicles, with solar panels fitted as well, I have them setup with the push button on the dash if I ever need to bring batteries together to start vehicle, also have the indicator light on the dash so i know when the start battery is being topped up and when the aux is being charged.
Only ever had a problem with one, I rang up redarc in SA and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.
My thoughts for what there worth with no vested interest.

Cheers with Beers
Franga
AnswerID: 224370

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 17:17
davali,

They all kind of do the same job, but some perhaps better than others.

If you have already bought the Piranha DBS180S, you have bought one of the best "smart" Isolators available.

I have an earlier model DB150S and it has worked well for some 5 years.

One thing Piranha will state. There Isolators will manage any combination (types) of battery installations. Doesn't matter what size there are, or whether they are a mixture of wet cell and AGM.

Not too many manufacturers will state that.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 224380

Reply By: Frshn - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 22:26

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 22:26
Everyone seems happy with what they got... must say something?

When you look at the principal of operation, they *all* do the same thing. they all compare the batteries' voltages and make a decision to connect or isolate the batteries. in the engine-on state (i.e., ~14 V), batts are connected; engine-off (~12.6 V or less), batts isolate.

they differ in trinkets (solar input, battery monitors, etc) and physical contruction, but fundamentally do the same thing.

ARB, Piranha, Rotronics, Redarc are all good... and all the same. base your buying decision on price, warranty, after sales support, etc. On this basis Redarc is arguably the best.

FWIW, i have an ARB Smart Solenoid. it works well but the Redarc does the same thing for much less $$$.
AnswerID: 224469

Sponsored Links