accessories what first

Submitted: Friday, Sep 21, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 431 Views:2279 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
i have just bought a new 4wd. what accessories are the very first to be put on for outback travel with money being an issue after the purchase of the car.
REGARDS LUKE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Friday, Sep 21, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 21, 2001 at 00:00
First things I looked at were UHF radio, a snatch strap, 'D' shackles (rated) and, because mine is diesel, a snorkel. Then i progressed through a compressor, tyre repair kit, cargo barrier. Because of costs, i am looking at a set of polyairs instead of a suspension upgrade
AnswerID: 1114

Follow Up By: John - Saturday, Sep 22, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 22, 2001 at 00:00
You won't go wrong with the Polyairs, they are all that you could wish for
Suggest an HF Transceiver - streets ahead of a UHF radio...
John
FollowupID: 320

Reply By: Nigel - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00
Unless you only intend to drive the outback in the daytime, the very first thing I would get would be a good set of spotlights (KC, Lighforce, Cibie, etc) - avoid the junk from K-Mart. Second thing I would get is a set of those little $10 whistler things that scare the roos - not as good as a ShuRoo but better than nothing. They don't replace the need to be very watchful, but they do help a bit in warning the roos of your approach.
AnswerID: 1117

Reply By: David - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Communication is important in the Outback. Have to agree that HF is the best option, but a UHF is also a very useful radio to carry and much cheaper. As UHF only has a maximum range of 50km it shouldn't be relied upon incase of problems, but if you tell someone where you are going then having a UHF can make it much easier for them to find you. You may also want to consider carrying a personal EPIRB for life threatening emergencies where no other form of communication is available.
AnswerID: 1118

Reply By: Peter Gordon - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Luke, everything said before is absolutely true. A couple of things I have found are (i)After fitting a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 Spread/pencil beam driving lights to my Prado, I found you partially loose your night vision because they are so good. To combat this I had to fit a set of Hella FF100 clear fog lights that assist the low beam to offset this phenominen. I also fitted +30 xenon globes to the headlights. (ii)After talking to the RFDS in Alice Springs, they suggested that a Satellite phone is fast becoming a viable option. They cost about 1/2 of a new HF radio (call costs are horrendous) but this should change in the near future as competition kicks in. The RFDS is cutting back some of its services in the outback and telephone calls organised by them (RADPHONE) has already gone. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 1122

Follow Up By: John - Monday, Sep 24, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 24, 2001 at 00:00
HF Radio is completely different and should not be compared to a sat phone ! With a satphone you can only call one person and talk/hear one person! With HF radio you are listening all the time and can pick up up to the minute conditions as you travel, with a sat phone this is not possible, and frankly in a recommendation probably of people who haven't been out of range of sat phone- yes there is such a thing, and who probably haven't used an HF radio! THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.... Join VKS 737 or look them up on web, the RFDS is not a 4wd network radio!!
John
FollowupID: 327

Follow Up By: Nigel - Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00
If ever you venture up to Queensland you would probably like to know that it is illegal to use fog lights except in fog or adverse weather conditions. I think the reasoning for this is that other road users have a right to drive without being blinded.
FollowupID: 332

Follow Up By: Peter Gordon - Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00

Thanks for your email Nigel. I to believe other road users have the right to use the road without being blinded or dazzled by oncoming vehicles. I do not believe I have to sacrifice my safety either. I have found over the years that many people fit spotties, driving, and fog lights to improve their lights and never adjust them or the headlights for suspension changes, change of tyre size, change of vehicle attitude due to various loads and consequently wreak havoc on everyone else. I fastidiously maintain my vehicle, including all lighting adjustments, and can assure you my fog lights do not blind or dazzle anyone. With respect to the law, and I am not above it, common sense must surely prevail. If fog or driving lights are used with indescretion then we, as 4X4 drivers, bring the wrath of the general motoring public down on ourselves with our bullbar mounted daylight, but if my fog lights save me from hitting an animal running from the side of the road south of Camooweal when another vehicle is oncoming, I will use them.

With greatest respect, Peter Gordon
FollowupID: 333

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00

I have to agree with John about the satphone. They are, after all only a phone and you can't put out a general call for help or advice on a phone. And I haven't heard of any organisation that will ring your satphone with daily road reports. I wouldn't leave the beaten track without a HF and VKS737 membership.
AnswerID: 1135

Reply By: Mike Ranger - Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
Luke, while I agree with the thoughts on HF radio, I believe the first thing you should fit is a cargo barrier, lets save your life from within the car first. The barrier will also allow you to pack your vehicle more efficiently. UHF was the next thing we fitted, so valuable to keep you in touch out there. After our first trip to the Flinders, we threw away our OE tyres and fitted some that would handle the rough stuff. After about 40000km we are more than happy with our BFGs. I forgot to mention, we fitted a Gitsham roo bar and a tow bar pre delivery. I have not fitted driving lights as, after several trips to the outback, I avoid travelling after dark like the plague. incidentally, I do live in the country and survive with +30 globes and adjusting my driving to suit conditions. Have fun building your truck to suit YOU.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1150

Reply By: Dave S - Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00
Heres a quick list of what I installed on my old rangie for a simpson desert trip..
BFG All Terrain's
cargo barrier
Lightforce driving lights
hayman reece tow bar (rear recovery point)
front recovery points
roo whistles
polyair bags
UHF radio
Epirb
hand winch, snatch straps, D-shackles etc
fridge (cold beer and steak)
2nd spare wheel (complete,2nd hand)
high lift jack
tyre repair kit
heaps of tools and spares!

... good luck, Dave S
AnswerID: 1168

Reply By: kevin snell - Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:00
luke, dont forget your long range fuel tank,dual batteries and headlight upgrade kit you may not need spot lights and the list goes on and on but i love 4x4 toy shops
AnswerID: 1173

Sponsored Links