Day trips out of Canberra

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:51
ThreadID: 4328 Views:5196 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am heading down to Canberra for the Easter/Anzac Day week. Wanna take my 8yr old nephew out into the bush on day trips - got any suggestions ? Would prefer things between graded dirt road and diff breaking rocky hills.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard- Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:00

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:00
Paul,
unfortunately most of the readily accessible tracks to the west and south of canberra wouldnt be the greatest viewing at present post the bushfires.
there were quite a few tracks in the brindabellas that would meet your criteria but I couldnt recommend them at present.
I would suggest 2 options but both are reasonably long "Day trips" from canberra
1) -goulburn -taralga- wombeyan caves then cut accoss thru langs road/ limeburners to Yerranderie.
2) go out from braidwood into the top of deua national park even down into bendethera valley.
Hope you find something there are some good roads around the ACT but the bushfires have really given us a bleep ling.
Howard
AnswerID: 17295

Follow Up By: Tony - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:11

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 13:11
What about Tallanganda and the old coach road over to Braidwood, also good easy drive up to Rocky Pic out from Captains Flat (great views) and then follow the range down towards Jerangle then Slap Up fire trail over to the Big Hole and then back to Braidwood.
FollowupID: 10813

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:17

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:17
G'day
I go down into Duea and Bendethera fairly regularly. Went down a few weeks back - going in and out from the Snowball side is easy, and not much evidence of the recent fires. This trip to Bendethera is a longish day from Canberra - but you could only go as far as Dampier Trig which makes it much easier. My understanding is the access from the Muruya side is still closed (plus this is a much longer trip and a but rougher).

Cheers
FollowupID: 10822

Reply By: david - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:04

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:04
went to bendethra 4 weeks ago from moruya all roads were open easy drive but rough 2nd gear alot of the time
AnswerID: 17312

Sponsored Links