slide-on, trailer or campervan???

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 434 Views:3356 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My husband & I are having difficulty deciding which to get for our travels. I lean towards the slide-on as you have a 'useable' vehicle upon your return to suburbia. Both brothers who have travelled Aus say 'Too heavy - will damage your springs - hold you back from going to some spots - most folk don't take it off the back once they've started.' One had a campervan, the other used a ute with canopy & tent. Trailers are, I guess, 'glorified tents' - some of our travel will be the odd weekend to sporting fixtures (triathlete in the family) so we require some level of comfort. Campervan - we have limited $ to spend on a campervan - but you end up with a dedicated vehicle that sits around when you get home! What made you choose what you have, have you 'upgraded' from your first choice? If so, why!!?
Any input into helping our decision would be appreciated!
Thanks a lot,
Roberta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00
I started of with a Jayco Dove then moved to an off road camper trailer for our three month trip around Oz. On our return (two adults and three kids)from this trip we sold the off road camper and bought a roof rack, Southern cross tent (Ultimate trekker) and sleeping mats. It is more flexible than any of the other types and a lot more fun. It probably takes about the same time to set up and you can get the best sites at most venues.
AnswerID: 1119

Reply By: Tony- Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Roberta, I bought a full on off-road camper and am extremely happy with it. List all the "pros & cons" of all the alternatives and then decide. As an example - roof tops and slide-ons are a pain once set up if you want to take a trip to the shop or drive to a fishing spot. Means you have to pack up camp! Campervans are very crowded even for one person. Camper trailers are expensive but not as expensive as campervans. But have heaps of room and a real mattress for comfort. Get the picture? My opinion for what its worth, you can't go past a camper trailer for space, comfort and versatillity.
AnswerID: 1120

Reply By: ray - Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00

Roberta, you didn't specify what sort of vehicle you intend to use, but we have a traytop cruiser which takes a removeable canopy(canvas) and it is our mobile bedroom(queensize, proper mattress), we tow an ordinary 1 ton cap. box trailer which has had a few off-road mods and carry everything in the trailer from cooking gear to diving gear,(inc kitchen sink). the fully loaded trailer weighs 400kgs, and our bed is fully made up ready for whenever we stop. Best of luck, see you on the road someday.
AnswerID: 1121

Reply By: Julian May - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00
My wife and I have travelled with convential caravans, a Coleman camper, a Kombi camper, various tents, a Minute tent and a "home-made" camp kitchen/storage set up in a 6x4 box trailer and each had its good and bad points.
We currently tow a BCNU off-road camper-trailer behind a Land Rover Tdi. After choosing a site and levelling the trailer it is a less then ten minute job to have the tent folded out to 13'x7' and the kitchen set up. It takes a bit longer to attach the awning which we use for stops of more than one night.
The bed is huge and incredibly comfortable. (If you decide on a tent DON'T go with air beds. They will fail. Self-inflating mattresses are best and you don't have to spend big money for Thermarests - there are several good and cheaper brands.)
We are really happy with our current set-up, having done several trips including Sydney-Cameron Corner-Lake Mungo-Sydney.
AnswerID: 1158

Sponsored Links