Lunch while travelling

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 16:04
ThreadID: 44330 Views:2898 Replies:17 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to do a trip across the Simpson later this year and trying to work out what we are going to eat. Breakfast and dinner is not really a problem, but finding it difficult to introduce some variety for lunch.

Mountain bread wraps with ham/chicken/tuna is the main thing we can think of as bread will not last, however after 13 days straight of this, it does not appeal.

What do others have for lunch when travelling on the basis that you will not have fire or a stove to heat anything for lunch?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 16:19

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 16:19
You can get a 12v "oven" from Dick Smiths (plugs into cig lighter) that will warm a couple of pies in about 20 mins. You put them in about 20mins before you think you will want lunch and they heat up as you are driving. Also good for warming leftovers or anything in those foil trays. I have heard dim sims etc are the go (or any of the frozen variety foods).

If you have more than a couple of people you may need a couple of them since 2 pies is about their capacity but they are not very expensive, about $30 if I recall.

You should be able to find them on the DSE website.

Have fun

Trev
AnswerID: 233555

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 16:45

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 16:45
We often have hotdogs in rolls when camping - possibly hotdogs in wraps? you only need a few cups of water if you have a small billy to fit the hotdogs in. Also 2min noodles - you can throw in a can of tuna after draining the water off.

For 'non-water' lunches - dry bickies and cheese, vegemite etc. A few other ideas but I'm not sure how much water you are carrying or fridge sapce etc.
AnswerID: 233561

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:03

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:03
Bake your own bread in a camp oven when your cooking dinner.

Patrolman Pat
AnswerID: 233564

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:08

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:08
We tend to have 'puffed crispbread' type of biscuits for lunch, with cheese, vegemite, tomato or what ever when on the road. As we don't get enough time away, it's a treat to have our 'holiday lunches' and know we are out there on the road, so don't mind the monotony. We have the DSE pie warmer for cooler days (can also heat up leftovers in aluminium trays). On days we shop, we can have salad sandwiches with fresh bread and fresh purchases of salad and sliced meat.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 233565

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:51

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:51
Yep, Muvver, they are pretty good. We make up an anti-pasto mix or three that we can pull out quckly and easily and doesn't bore you. Baby occies being one favourite, sundried tomatoes, home smoked salmon too, pickled hearts of artichoke, roast capsicum. Yummo!
FollowupID: 494629

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 22:01

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 22:01
Gee John - your menu sounds like a fancy restaurant!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 494792

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 22:36

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 22:36
The food isn't expensive, just the service, but self service just experience the flavours. Yummmmm. Doesn't pay to be bored does it?
FollowupID: 494811

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2007 at 13:44

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2007 at 13:44
The food isn't expensive, just the service, but self service just experience the flavours. Yummmmm. Doesn't pay to be bored does it?
FollowupID: 494883

Reply By: Phil P - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:37

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:37
Tins of "Dolmades" availabe from most Safeway & Coles supermarkets for some variety. They are rice, rolled in vine leaves. No cooking required, eat straight from the tin. Also served in most Greek Restaurants.
AnswerID: 233572

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:41

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 17:41
Mr Orion ,

For lunch I always have a mixture of salami , salmon , cheese , Jatz , asparagus olives and dill cucumbers and a fresh cucumber or tomato . It is half salad half nibbly bits .

This is often followed by an orange . All this is served on a paper plate which goes to start the next fire .

For anyone who might be wondering about my breakfasts , - each morning I use one plastic 500 ml bottle of "Big M Light" long life 99% fat free chocolate milk . I use it with my mug of coffee and the balance on my big bowl of Cocoa Pops . This is great stuff because it does not require refrigeration , is in a super tough container and hardly tastes like long life milk at all .

Dinner is highlighted by the fact that the only washing up is the knives and forks . I grill meat on the fire and cook veges in foil on the coals ( small onions , small spuds , zucchinis , carrots and small beetroot ) . The take about half the time of the others , so I put them in when I turn the others .

Willie .
AnswerID: 233573

Follow Up By: blue one - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:27

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:27
Gourmet
FollowupID: 494471

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 18:32

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 18:32
Orion you will find fresh bread available at Birdsville or frozen bread from the other side which will last for the first 4 days. As it goes stale we normally toast it in a Jaffell iron. Your suggestion of Mountain breads or Mexican Fahita's are probably the next option then we go for Salada's with various toppings (Salami, sardines, spam, jam etc). Instant noodles are quick & easy as is heating a tin of spaghetti, soup or brazed steak & vegies. We normally cook extra for main meals, having it the next day for lunch as well as baking bread in the camp oven when time allows.
We carry a small Coleman single burner unleaded stove to heat our lunches which is easy to store & use. Alternatively the disposable butane stoves are convienient too or a thermos for hot water.
Out of interest which part of the Simpson are you heading into that will see you out of civilization for 13 days?
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 233588

Reply By: John R (SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 19:25

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 19:25
Good question Orion. Interesting to see what others do.

Sandwiches, for a few days after passing a bread supply. Thereafter:

Jaffles, if there's a fire or burner on hand (which there usually is). Doesn't need to be a big fire either. Spaghetti (tinned variety), ham cheese & tomato, etc. Fine with frozen or slightly stale bread.

I'm a fan of making sure there are leftovers from the night before (particularly if it's something like apricot chicken & rice). They often taste better to me, after they've had a few hours to mature!

And as you've said, mountain bread lasts quite a while.
AnswerID: 233599

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 19:42

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 19:42
If you’re driving all day you really don’t need very much for lunch – after all you’re not using very much energy just driving?

Fruit, tinned or fresh, tinned fish (lots of options), cheese, crisp bread, bread for the first few days or cook it yourself – consider part-bake? Pot noodles (needs hot water), tinned soup – needs a cooker. Avocado, baked beans (cold? yuk!), tinned four bean mix (protein), Mars Bars?

But I agree; lunch on the move (without a caravan and for lots of days) is a bit of a pain.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 233604

Reply By: Member - paul d(WA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:12

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:12
in the morning while cooking breaky we cook some pasta then add tuna and sweetcorn and chill till lunch,then at lunch just add some cheese and your away.!MPG:3!
AnswerID: 233613

Reply By: kookaburra - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:32

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:32
just remember you may have to eat in the wagon, flies x 10000000000000 last time in simpson desert.
AnswerID: 233623

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 20:58
Have a big breakfast and skip lunch altogether.

It's all in the mind!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 233632

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 21:12

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 21:12
Well breckie is usually cerial and fruit as for lunch well I guess that depends on where I am. I try and keep it as simple as I can. If out for a few days I would have a container with silverside, ham, roast pork or beef slices and then use tomatoes etc and have sandwishes. Or I may just boil up a couple of sav's and have them on a slice of bread, if water is short I'd grill them on the BBQ or my one burner portable stove. I also take noodles to which I can just add hot water. Crackers cheese and tomatoe are also nice.

When I have lunch I try and stop for at least 30 mins so I can have a walk around to stretch if needed.

I usually don't have a big lunch if driving as I try to be off the road and camp set up around 3 max 4 pm. I can then cook a nice evening meal and relax :).

Brian

AnswerID: 233637

Reply By: Member - Arkay (SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 21:32

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 at 21:32
Heather makes up various sandwiches, rolls etc. with "John West Tuna Tempters with Lemon and Cracked Pepper" as one of the main ingredients. She gets little 100gm tins with pull-off tabs, and uses the whole tin each time. They add a bit of moisture to the whole shibang. Taste nice too. They cost about $1.40 but are often on special for 99c when we buy heaps. Coles, Woollies, IGA, etc. For a bit of variety. Other styles are also available.
AnswerID: 233643

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:27

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:27
Desert lunch for us is a small can of tuna , a sliced tomato and put them on a few Saladas with pepper. Maybe an apple later on. Does the 2 of us - we only want a light lunch.
AnswerID: 233756

Reply By: Steve63 - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 13:02
Cook something when you are doing tea. We usually use steak sandwich steak, snags, thin strips of lamb. Whatever has a similar preperation methoed. You can also roast something in a camp oven and have left overs the next day. I usually take some pre mixed and kneaded bread mix and jam it in the freezer. Then just take it out in the morning. It is normally ready to go that night, just put it in the camp oven. So you get fresh bread every now and again. This does take a little practice.

Steve
AnswerID: 233765

Reply By: Member - Hurkmagurk (WA) - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 13:09

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 13:09
What is Mountain Bread?
AnswerID: 233770

Sponsored Links