Yes, you can take the camper trailer there!

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:34
ThreadID: 44724 Views:4010 Replies:17 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, I'm confused. I've read these and many other threads, on this and many other forums and I still don't know. Those of you who have off road campers...have you done the CSR, or the Simmo, or Cape York?

I've talked to the guy at the shop at Wiluna about the CSR and he says we'd sh*t it in. Others say don't even think about it.

So come on. Those who have OR CT's, just where have you taken them? And don't forget to include the horror stories along with the success stories. We are trying to make our minds up about some of these trips.

We have a good towing rig and CT and 32 year's experience 4WD'ing for a living.

Cheers,

Russ.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:47

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:47
Look no further than the ExplorOz shop Site Link

This DVD shows a Kimberley & Ultimate camper trailers doing the CSR.
AnswerID: 235817

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:57

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:57
Great tip. Thanks Shaker. See what I mean? In the blurb for that DVD, not one mention of a CT and yet you have obviously watched it and seen it for yourself. I'll be sure to buy it and have a look.

I've done years and years of 4WD'ing, but towing the CT is a whole new experience for me...and I have to say I find myself a bit apprehensive when contemplating some of the places in this big, brown land.

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497008

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:27

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:27
It's very good, from memory it is 3 DVDs, which makes it good value.
They obviously had a couple of problems, but isn't that what exploring is all about?
FollowupID: 497013

Reply By: SimonW - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:50

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 22:50
Hi Russ,
Given your experience & you know your limits & having done all 3 several times myself, my advice is.
- Cape york, via the old road no problem with CT for a experienced 4WD in solo.
- Simpson no problem with CT but have another vehicle for piece of mind in case you meet a like minded travelling sole going the other way with a trailer on a dune.
- CSR, NO, pure & simple NO, 1900k's multiple head sand dunes & the thought of meeting vehicles coming the other way in the middle of those heads would be simple ugly, not to mention the extra fuel consumption over that distance. However travelled early in the season when it is quite maybe possible without stress.

Just my thoughts, regards Simon.
AnswerID: 235819

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:03
Thanks Simon. You raise some good points. The idea of solo travel in some of these places definitely does not appeal, so we will be aiming to team up with others or join in with tag-alongs.

I've done the Little Sandy, across 18 metre and 12 metre dunes, but only a few were multiple heads and presented few issues. I guess I'll have to watch the DVD mentioned in the previous post, and weigh it against your thoughts before making a decision.

Whatever happens it won't be until about this time next year that we would take on the CSR (if we ever do) so I'll have another 12 months of expereince by then.

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497010

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:22

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:22
Simon

As with most dune driving on Simpson or CSR you are very unlikely to meet head on with another vehicle. Even in peak season. Best thing is to do is to use the radio to call up if you need to.

On our first CSR excursion without a trailer, a few years back now, we went a week without seeing any other travellers. We did a solo trek in a battered old petrol Landcruiser. The corrugations shook the old girl to pieces and I had to perform some repairs along the way. Those days I was still learning about tyre pressures in sand and had some minor problems crossing dunes.

Cheers
FollowupID: 497019

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:00

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:00
Willem,

what channel is commonly in use out there? Do people tend to use the suggested channel 10 for 4WD enthusiasts or is it a bit of a dog's breakfast?

Cheers,

Russ
FollowupID: 497022

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:15

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:15
Morning Russ

Most travellers use Channel 10 or just leave the radio on Scan to pick up wayward channel users.

If doing the Simpson I always opt for another channel as invariably you pick up too much chatter from other holidaymakers. Sometimes we use the hand helds as communications and the other radio turn down softly on scan.

On the CSR Channel 10 is appropriate. I have done the CSR on 3 occasions and the incidence of meeting other travellers on dunes has been minimal.

Cheers
FollowupID: 497035

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:28

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:28
Willem,

I am with you with the UHF on scan, but from memory the UHF channel on the Canning is 40.

I have like others found the chatter on the "recommend" channels too much and prefer a quieter channel. Others don't want to hear our chatter either, but I always run a second UHF on scan to pick up other travellers, regardless of where I am travelling.

Wayne
FollowupID: 497039

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:21

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:21
The big problem with UHF users is, most have absolutely no idea of "radio etiquette".
FollowupID: 497051

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:14

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:14
A question. Are the dunes on the Simmo numbered? Many of the places I go, the dunes are numbered so that when approaching them you can make a radio call indentifying yourself, the number of the dune you are approaching and the direction you are approaching it from.

If not numbered, do they have any other forms of identification, other than Big Red of course?

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497055

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:39

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:39
Russ,

No the sand dunes are not numbered, however there are numbered markers along the tracks that cross the Simpson Desert. Nothing like that on the CSR though.

Unless the other vehicle is keeping track of what number they are up to then it does not work.

The best bet is to keep a UHF on scan, have a high flag pole with a large bright flag and before you drive down the side of a dune have a good look around for the flutter of a flag or the glint of a windscreen in the distance.

It is very unlikely that you would meet another vehicle on the crest of a dune.

Wayne
FollowupID: 497059

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:07

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:07
Well I've done Cape York and I've done the Simpson both with the Trak Shak hanging off the back.

I have also done a bunch of other stuff that people said I shouldn't do with the trailer and I have had very few problems.

When I first got the Trak Shak I was living in Sydney and just to see if I could I took it for a run through Menai. Needed the dif locks to get up Yamaha hill but then that was never easy even without a trailer.

I have seen people get bogged solo in places that I drove through without concern towing the CT. If you know what you are doing then you too should have few probs. Just remember the trailer will accelerate the bogging process and decelerate the recovery, but it is all fun.

One last question, can you back the trailer? Sooner or later you will hve to.

Duncs
AnswerID: 235821

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:16

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 23:16
G'day Duncs,

yes, I can reverse trailers easily, although having said that, the Mrs can't and she may well be in the driving seat if we are doing recovery stuff. I guess I'll have to spend a lot of time teaching her once we get going on our travels.

The Kimberley Kamper is very well behaved in reversing situations.

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497012

Reply By: hiab - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 00:50

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 00:50
32 years experience, and you have a land rover, more like 32 years of getting towed. big smile .
AnswerID: 235823

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:55

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:55
I'm not even going to bite on that one hiab. Suffice to say that I've got a 6 year warranty and three years of roadside assist. If something goes wrong I'll throw the camper open, call Mr Land Rover on the satphone and give him the GPS coords. When he's fixed it he can bring it back to me. I'm not in a hurry and I've got enough food and water to last weeks out there (wherever "out there" happens to be.)

Mind you, I'm betting it's not going to happen!

Cheers

Russ.
FollowupID: 497021

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 00:56

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 00:56
My two cents worth, doing the CSR, leave the trailer behind.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 235825

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:06

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:06
Thanks for the input dunworkin. I'm keep a bit of a tally of fors and againsts. Mind you, I'm no stranger to vehicle recovery so I'm starting to lean towards having a crack.

I have experimented with tyre pressures over the years and have found (as Willem points out in a post below) that if you get these right, you don't have to exert yourself or the car as much as you would think.

I've done my fair share of pulling vehicles out that have their tyres too hard and I've learned from that!

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497023

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:10

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:10
This subject comes up time and time again. Was on here a week or so ago.

I was never a fan of trailers but eventually the truck got too cramped with all the bulky gear in it that I bought a 7x4 HD bush trailer. It carries all the camping gear and 240lts of diesel.

In recent times I have been on the CSR and Offtrack in the Simspon and in the Gibson towing the trailer. Camper trailers should be no different except that they may be a tad heavier.

Rule of thumb in sandy conditions is to run your vehicle tyres at 15psi and trailer tyres at 10psi. There are arguments against that but that is what I do and it works well for me.

Like with most things, drive to the conditions. To better explain that..... on the CSR or the Simpson, don't do run ups to dunes. Tyre pressure is a critical factor. You might have to fiddle around with your tyre pressures but so what? As long as your holiday is enjoyable and stress free. Most dunes on the CSR or in the Simpson can be crawled over utilising First High Range or Second Low Range.

Its no drama.

Cheers

AnswerID: 235828

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:08

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:08
G'day again Willem. Do you use bead locks?

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497024

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:22

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:22
Russ

No, have never used beadlocks. Have only once run a tyre off a rim at 10psi and that was in Little Dip CP where the track twists sharply through the dunes.

I have run 265/75/16 tyres up until recently but have no converted my GQ back to split rims and crossply tyres as the modern radial tyres are too prone to sidewall stakes and fractures (one can have an hour long debate about this as well...lol).

Some of my recent adventure treks has taken me across trackless country.

For normal track work like CSR, Simpson and alike, the radial tyres are OK and would give good traction and wear.

Cheers
FollowupID: 497038

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:31

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:31
The people on our video have done many trips with there trailers including the cape.
Big John and Deb with the Kimberly have done the cape half a dozen times or so with there Kimberly.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 235832

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:13

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:13
Thanks for that Eric. It is all useful information to us!

Cheers

Russ
FollowupID: 497049

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:01

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:01
G'D ay Rus N Sue, We can't comment on the Canning Stock Route but in our experience the no trailer response has a lot to do with a percentage of people with not much upstairs. An example was a few years ago we were heading on to Fraser Island on the inland track when we came across a family in distress. Now you dont obviously need any real extreme conditions to show the problems as the inland track is not that bad, but what we came across is a bloke in his $50000 Pajero with a $2 trailer in tow, complete with angle iron pull , loaded as high as the roof on the mitsubishi. It doesn't take alot of guessing to work out what happened. The pull had broken off the trailer. We stopped to see if we could help but old mate had it all under control. He had set up a $1 blue tarp for his wife and two little children to sit under while he was going to head over to Harvey bay { mind you this was Boxing Day} to try and buy another trailer. There is a reason that our trailer under our camper is worth about $3000. and a reason why it will cope with pretty much any thing we put it through and if we do have problems other than thet we have a well equipped vehicle to recover us or any one else having problems. I beleive that if you have the experience you say with a TRUE off road CT and a well equiped vehicle you would tackle the CSR and be successful. As some others said you might encounter some challenges but if it was easy you wouldnt be looking at doing the trip. Cheers. P.S If the Kedron Boys can get an off road caravan through OTT than you can achieve anything using commonsense!!!!!
AnswerID: 235835

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:44

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:44
G'day Russ, I have done the CSR with one other vehicle, not towing. This year we are doing the southern section only and Rudall River, leaving the camper in Newman.

It would make for a more enjoyable trip to leave the camper at one end, or in our case the middle.

To do the full CSR with camper in tow a second vehicle not towing would be the best. Have this vehicle in front to watch out for oncoming, and assist a tow over the top when needed.

Its a great trip which ever way you decide to do it, but more pleasant without towing.
AnswerID: 235836

Reply By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:04

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:04
To know whether you can tow a trailer etc on these tracks depends on several factors. I personally think you can just about take a full Off-Road trailer anywhere as long as it is set up correctly and is built for those conditions. Too many people get caught out by taking ill prepared so called Off-Road trailers and find they are not up to the task.....IMO, if your trailer is correctly set up and your carrying the appropriate spares, recovery gear and have the required experience with a tow vehicle up to the task then there shouldn't be any issue.........Though it is always better to have a second vehicle if all goes south......
AnswerID: 235842

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:30

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:30
Russ,

I will base my reply on the Canning Stock Route.

I have seen trailers on the CSR and the vehicles were doing it hard. Apart from the fact that they can not go through the bottom part of the CSR, from Well 5 down, it can be done.

I would assume you would be leaving the tinne at home and even though you have one of the best camper trailers still pack it as light as possible. One piece of recovery gear that I think that should be carried at all times apart from usual, is a hand winch and long (30mt) winch extension strap.

If you have a look at the video of the trailers doing the CSR (good video Eric) they are all "BIG" 4wd. I have driven the Discovery 3 in the Victorian High Country and it went great there but we were not towing a trailer. That is the only contact that I have had with them and have yet to see them on soft sand.

The 4wd selection system being a electronic dial up might cause some concern. The vehicle that I drove in the VHC had some gremlin in the electronics and the system would shut down. It restarted again, BUT. The auto hight control also wanted to think for itself and would lower back down at all the wrong times. I am not sure if you have this equipment level but it would be a concern just going on the experience that I have had.

When we take a vehicle on the CSR we highly recommend that the suspension be up graded and spare shocks be carried. The CSR is very hard on suspension. Spare shocks and springs would also have to be carried for the trailer plus all the usual fan belts, hoses, fuses,oils, and second spare tyre.

The Discovery 3 is very economical but on the CSR it would still require to carry extra fuel. Going on the past few years we have used an average of 190lt from Wiluna to Well 23 fuel drop. What fuel we have left in the tanks plus the 205lt drum will get us to Bililuna. That does not mean that we only leave Wiluna with 190lt. I have both tanks full, 270lt and take empty jerry cans to use at the fuel drop for any fuel is left over in the drum. How much fuel you will use towing would hard to estimate, but you could easily double the fuel usage for normal towing and that would be close.

My thoughts on the matter.
The trailer would make the trip, the vehicle, I think, is a bit light to tow a CT on the CSR, being able to carrying enough fuel and having at least one other vehicle with you not towing a CT. Going to Cape York would be alright again with another vehicle without a trailer. I have not been there in a few years so I an not up to date with the conductions. The Simpson Desert apart from the SA National Parks not recommending that trailers should not be taken across, I will leave that one to you.

With the new permits for the Canning and in what form or resection they will be, might also impact on where trailers can be taken on the CSR.

Wayne
AnswerID: 235845

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:55

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:55
Morning Wayne

Good point about modern electronically operated vehicles.

You may be right about Channel 40. Anyway I normally set it on 10 and use scan.

Fuel consumption. Rule of thumb for CSR is that you can double your normal dirt road fuel consumption. So if you are not towing anything and your fuel consumption is around 10/100 then on the CSR expect 20/100. Then add another 10 to 20% if towing.

Last year, towing my trailer, I refuelled at Tjukarilya RH on the GCR and made it to Newman driving a variety of tracks, the middle section of the CSR and some 200km offtrack where low range was used most of the time. I used 268lts of diesel over 1455km being 5.4km/l or 18.5l/100km. Not bad for an old technology diesel engine.

Cheers
FollowupID: 497047

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:45

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:45
We did the CSR twice and I would not tow a trailer. I wouldn't do that to my car trailer or nerves. 850 Sand dunes I think and no baby ones either. Much more enjoyable without stress. Why not do something different and swag it out there leaving your trailer at home.
Best Trip we ever did, be smart.

Cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 235846

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:49

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:49
Russ,

It is a good question and, as others have pointed out, it has been done so must be possible.

Having done a big trip with the KK last year, I learnt a lot about some do's and don'ts. I guess the big lesson for me was being prepared for what is coming up and taking the time to think it through and work out your strategy and vehicle set up. This is true of course when you are not towing, but the consequences of stuffing it up are worse with a trailer as reversing back and having another go is not always an option; you need to get it right first time.

Twice I got stuck in soft sand at low speed and in both instances further reducing the tyre pressure (as low as 10psi) and engaging the diff lock got us out of trouble (just).

The second type of trouble simply concerns the turning radius. Doing a 180 degree turn in a creek bed with steep banks on either side gave us some interesting moments. Lots of backing and filling. Again, a walk through and work out your plan saves heaps of stress later on.

Our scariest moment was driving the Wickham/Gibbie track in Gregory NP. We were going up a very steep hill (Low range 1st) which was on a steep ridge that dropped away either side. A 90 degree bend with lots of holes, rocks and loose shale. Half way around the bend the rear wheels break traction in a largish hole and we start to slide sideways and backwards. Because we had slid sideways, reversing out was not an option as the trailer would have jack knifed. All sorts of scenarios flick through my mind including chocking and disconnecting the trailer, trying to manually turn it around to face downhill, etc. Problem was that we couldn't get around it easily (might have been half a day bush bashing to get there). Long story short, but with the rear diff lock engaged and some (more) air out of the tyres, we made it on the second go.

We drove that track for four days and didn't see another car, so was very happy to be able to keep going.

But the lesson I learnt was twofold. Firstly, sellers of off road trailers will tell you that their units can go anywhere your car can go. True, but your car just won't go as many places with a trailer on. Secondly, surveying your route, thinking through a plan and setting up are doubly important, because a quick reverse and another go is not always an option.

Despite the difficulties your day holds, it is always worth it when you can relax in your camper at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 235847

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:38

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:38
Pretty much on the money there, Matt

A practical and commonsense approach is needed when towing in extreme country.

Last year I had to back out of a very narrow track in a gorge. Eventually I got tired of doing this and executed a 6 point turn. This resulted in a broken tail light lens as I nudged the trailer into some foliage :-)

Cheers

FollowupID: 497042

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:45

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:45
My 2.2 cents worth (+GST). I haven't driven the tracks you mentioned but I do have 23 yrs experience in the Army and have done all of my off road training with them.

We always took trailers with us and they were loaded to the hilt - because we have to carry all of our equipment.

What we were taught is that the trailer has to be properly set up and packed.

That is, the trailer's rims and tyres were the same as the towing vehicle, they had the same track (width), the trailer tyres were at the same pressure as the rear tyres of the vehicle and you had a proper off road hitch.

When it comes to packing the trailer must be well balanced and only carry what you need.

And most importantly of all you drive to the conditions of the road.

I still apply those principles today when I take my family away camping with our CT and I have been to some decent places in the south of WA and have had no problems.

My preference for a CT is that I spread the wieght over two axles and not one (the rear one) if I was only taking the Cruiser.

Always be prepared to improvise, adapt and over come so when faced with a situation remember always stop and take the time to think out the situation first. Once you have done that you should be okay.

Hope this helps.

Karl
AnswerID: 235861

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:31

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:31
Excellent replies from you all. Thanks very much. We certainly have a lot to think about. One of the main issues is that we simply won't have a "base" to leave the CT at. We have sold up and will be basically "Stateless". This means that we will have to pay for storage or find someone we really trust when we take on some of these difficult runs - hence the desire to tow the CT if we can.

It is quite clear that those who think it can be done have placed a lot of emphasis on prior planning, taking your time and surveying intended routes when confronted with obstacles. This is something I have to do now with the job that I do. I have an allergy to shovels and my boss often complains that I procrastinate too much when confronted with dunes, river crossings and the like. He calls it procrastination, I like to think it's planning.

Are there some places we could go that would be good as a training run. You know, similar terrain, but not as much of it, and plenty of passing traffic if we were to come unstuck? Or should that be "stuck"?

Keep the comments coming - it's all good information.

Thanks again,

Russ.
AnswerID: 235869

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:09

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:09
Russ,

Three things that you must answer before driving a river or steep climb or a track like the CSR.

1. Do I have to go there
2. Can the vehicle do the task.
3. What if? What if it goes wrong, do I know what to do next and can I do it.

If you can't answer yes to all of the above then don't do it.

The forum might say yes a camper trailer can do the Canning or what ever other trip you might want to do, but you are the one there and unfortunately the forum is not.

The bottom line is,

Do I have to do the Canning?
Will the Discovery 3 tow the camper?
Can I get myself out of trouble?

Wayne
FollowupID: 497054

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 12:15

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 12:15
Russ,

Yeah there are plenty of places you can go and practice where there is a bit of passing traffic and it is not too far to go for help should it be required.

You don't tell us where you are based so it is a bit hard to direct you.

There are a number of good books which detail short 4wd trips out of most capital cities and major centres or to popular 4wd areas. One of the best I have used has been around for some time now. It was first published by BP and "written by" Peter Wherret. It is called Aorund Australia by 4wd the latest copy I have was put out by BF Goodrich and I got it for free when I bought some tyres years ago.

Most of these books have a grading system for the tracks included. 1 is the highway and 10 is take a helicopter or something like that. Go and drive a few tracks with your complete rig. Start with the easy ones and build up and decide on your comfort level. Then compare the difficulty rating with the places you want to go. Remember to consider the whole of the track. Most of it was easy but that one bit was really scary, means it was a scary track. It only takes one obstacle to stop you allthough a series of them can where you out.

A few long weekends and you should have a good idea of what you, your rig and your missus are happy doing.

I take my CT everywhere. There are 5 of us travelling in my rig and we simply couldn't do it without the CT. That's why we bought it.

Duncs
FollowupID: 497068

Reply By: Smudger - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:49

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:49
There are several operators in Cairns who hire CT's almost exclusively for the Cape York trek. I've had some business dealings with them and yapped about their trailers. Mostly not fancy rigs, just sound build, solid chassis and decent suspension (7 leaf seems to be favoured). One operator told me that all his trailers usually need when they get back is a quick coat of paint to cover the chips. I'm guessing that you'll take more care of your own rig than hire company customers, so I'd expect you should have no prob's. I also know a number of people who've done The Cape with their own CT's, including Kimberlies, Utimates and some more basic rigs, like my little Dingo. Main thing is, do it before the buggers seal the road ..which isn't too far away.
AnswerID: 235871

Follow Up By: Member - Geoffrey E (WA) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 20:31

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 20:31
Russ,By the sounds of it your vehicle and trailer with your knowledge and preparation should handle the CSR with no unsurmountable problems.However to make it less arduous,would it suit your plans to travel the CSR north to south?

Geoff
FollowupID: 497157

Follow Up By: Harry - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:45

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:45
I agree with Geoff as the dunes are steeper from the south.
When we did the CSR in 04 there was a lot of scalloping on the south side and some dunes on the north side were affected as well but not to the same extent.
The dunes that sometimes stop you have a turn to slow you down which you didn't really need . Low enough pressures and vehicle up front will get you through.
FollowupID: 497171

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:55

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:55
Very good point indeed! We are not really bound to travel it in any particular direction, so North to South would be a very good idea.

Thanks for that.

Russ.
FollowupID: 497179

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:13

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 21:13
Gaday Russ. To understand why you get complete opposite views on towing trailers on the CSR you need to look at the reasons people have trouble.
1. Tyre preasure. 12 to 20 PSI depending on the conditions & weight carried. Too high & you'll struggle the entire way through the sand.
2. Quality of trailer. Some poor quality trailers self destruct. KK should give you little trouble.
3. Speed. Drive too fast & the car or trailer may collapse.
4. Power to weight. The Kimberly is heavy enough on it's own so don't load up too much. As a guide 1.2 tonne max. Disco has sufficient power to tow.
5. Conditions. After rain the sand can be relitively easy. After a long dry windy period crests on the dunes can be very challenging.
6. Wear & tear. Some people can't stand the scratches, dints & damage that a trip like this can do to even a quality camper like yours.

Additionaly I'd suggest travelling with a 2nd vehicle that can give warnings of difficult sections ahead & be in a position to tow should one get stuck.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 236011

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 22:03

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 22:03
Thanks Craig,

we have resolved to not worry about scratches and dents, because if we did, there would be a lot of Australia that we wouldn't get to see. I take your point about power to weight. We are right on the limit for the camper, but the Disco does pull it with ease thanks to the excellent torque of the TDV6.

For sure we wont be doing these tough tracks alone.

Thanks,

Russ.
FollowupID: 497187

Sponsored Links