where have you taken it?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 22:24
ThreadID: 45245 Views:2537 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
where have people taken there windsor rapid offroad vans offroad?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (1) - Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 18:21

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 18:21
G'day Chips59,
If Windsor make their rapid like their Escape, it should go just about anywhere on dirt roads. I have a 16 foot poptop offroad Windsor Escape which in '98 I took along the Great Central Road to Aryes Rock (I live in Perth), from Coober Pedy to William Creek and down the Oodnadatta Track to Marree, down to Parachilna then across to Blinman and down through the Flinders Ranges. In '99 I took it up the Gibb River Road to Mt. Barnett where the road was closed due to the Durack and Pentacost river flowing bankers. We went back down to Derby via as many side tracks including out to Old Mornington, Silent Grove and Windjana Gorge, as we could find. After travelling to Kunnanurra by the main highway, we then proceeded down the Gibb River Road when it was opened, should have seen the looks we got when we pulled into El Qestro (a mate was also towing a 17 foot tandem Windsor Escape). I have towed my van over many bush tracks around WA and in 2005 I towed it down the Darling River Run from Bourke to Wentworth.
I bought it in '98 and the only problem I have had with it was coming back from Adelaide in Feb. this year when I done a wheel bearing at Nullarbor. I was lucky I discovered the wheel at an odd angle when I was setting up at the Caravan Park. Spent 4 days waiting for a pick up and repairs were done at Norseman.
As I said at the beginning, if the Rapid is built as tough as the Escape you should have no problems tow it over dirt roads as long as you use common sense and drive according to the road conditions. The photo at the end of my reply is of me crossing Mt. North Creek going into Windjana Gorge in '99. I hope you have many happy years travelling the backblocks.
Regards
Peter (1)
It doesn't get any better than this!!!
Peter (1)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 238848

Reply By: colanjen - Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 19:11

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 19:11
G'day chips59 and all,
I have taken my off road windsor rapid through, around, and over most of the Flinders Ranges, up to Inaminka along the Strezlecki track. We then left the dig tree and headed across to Tibooburra and down to Broken Hill. Gone into the Mt Moffat area of the the Carnarvan Gorge National Park. Spent a week on Fraser Island accessed by Inskip Point. Plenty of bogged 4wds in the way as i gunned my rig between them to make the firm sand near the ferry's (that really bounced the van around, air borne at times) In the high country i have been into Talbotville near Dargo as well as the track from Dargo to Omeo via the Dogs Grave. The track into the Blue Holes near Yarangobilly(Kosciusko National Park) as well as other corrugated and rough tracks in the area. Been down the Barry Way along the Snowy River a couple of times as well as across Mckillops Bridge plus many other rough tracks throughout Vic and NSW that you would not likely to see a van of this size. Has handled it superbly but the nerves of my partner have not at times. Great van. The only thing i've had to fix was the 7 leaf springs slowly collapsed over time so i replaced them with 8 leaf ones and so far so good.
Where have you taken your rig chips59 ?

Regards from Col
AnswerID: 238871

Sponsored Links