Track conditions

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 19:33
ThreadID: 4532 Views:1743 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm taking the family to a few short 4wd trips over the next two weekends and would appeciate some help on track conditions, from anyone who's just done it.

Trip 1.Stockton Beach. What's the sand like at the moment. Went there last December and the sand is extremely soft.

Trip 2. Wollombi to St. Alban's via Yango, Finchley, Boree and Simpson tracks to Bucketty. Then on to St. Albans ad Wiseman's Ferry.

Trip 3. Terrible Billy Trek from Dungog to Jerusalem Creek, Chichester SF and then Avon River SF. As per the book $wd Treks Close to Sydney.

Thanks in advance Folks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BAZZA - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:08

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:08
hi froilan - 4 wots its worth stay clear of ANY sand - quickest way to ruin (burn out motors-clutches / wreck (sink - unless u've gota good ins. co). yr vehicles life & your pleasure-trips will be long extended. 'appy 4wheeling.
AnswerID: 18227

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:06

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:06
Froilan,

You have a Pajero NM too don't you? I'd keep away from Stockton unless you want to replace your rear bumpers :-(

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 18241

Reply By: Member - Jeff - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:33
Ok Trip 2 - the track from Wollombi along the Yango Ck Rd - Upper Yango Ck Rd - Finchley - Yango - Boree & Mt Simpson tracks to Bucketty then Mogo Ck road to St Albans - you can do all this in 2WD - track condition is suitable for a conventional vehicle with care at present except for the Mt Simpson section. So you will have no problems with a 4WD. There has been bushfires in the area of Boree and Mt Simpson but the vegetation is recovering quickly. If raining all tracks will be Ok when wet except the Mt Simpson which will be slippery.
If you want a different adventure try the Yango / Howes Valley track to a new area in the national park called Big Yango - call NPWS Gosford office for details Ph:43204200 - key access only($200 deposit on key for security), homestead or camping accommodation - great 4WD trails and great walks to Mt Yengo (fantastic scenery). From here you can drive thru to the Putty Road then north along Putty Rd for 2.4Km to the Old Settlers Rd (not well marked) and drive along this very scenic trail thru to Paynes Crossing (small creek crossing - walk first there is a deep hole to detour around) which is just north of Wollombi.
PS. Make sure you go to Devils Rock (Burragurra) along the Boree track, this Aboriginal site has links with Mt Yengo, which is where the creator being Biamie trod down from the heavens and started to create the Earth. Mt Yengo is as significant to the east coast Aborigines as Uluru is to the central Australian tribes.
PPS. The signage along the trails in Yengo NP are poor at present and are starting to be replaced as a result of the fires.
PPS. Lets say I have inside information and I visit the area often.
Cheers Jeff (Beddo)
AnswerID: 18308

Reply By: BM - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 21:01
have to agree with Beddo, the Howes Valley and Old Settlers Rd tracks are a good drive. I drove Old Settlers a month ago, see for photos. As mentioned watch out for the hole in the creek crossing, I found it! Also well worth getting the key for the other trek.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 18312

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:41

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:41
We did the tracks in Yengo in late march. Have a look at the trek note update for a bit of info. Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 11604

Sponsored Links