Patrol Front Wheel Vibration

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 19:43
ThreadID: 4554 Views:2708 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This question i guess is mainly for past and present patrol owners. I drive a 91 LWB Patrol and on my recent easter trip whilst crusin down the highway doing about 100-110k/h the front right wheel started to vibrate / throw sideways almost as if it was about to break off. This happened a total of three times in the space of about 60k's and each time appeared to be set of by minor bumps in the road. The tyre was balanced recently and theres no other regular vibrations that one would associate with an unbalanced wheel nor does there appear to be any bumps on the tyre. This is the second time that its happend, the first time was after doing some brief low range 4wd, after which i took it upto 100k/h (in 2H) when the vibrations set in, when i checked the hubs one was unlocked, presumambly whilst doing 4wding in woody area full of little branches sticking in the way, anyway at the time i thought that onw hub being unlocked was the cause of the problem and since it didn't occur again before i got home i thought nothing of it again, coincidentally that was on the easter trip a year ago. I had a similar problem on a earlier 88 model SWB patrol and that time it turned out to be a crack in the chassis rail in line with the wheel. Naturally i've checked for the same thing happening to my present car but see no sign whatsoever. I am curious if others have had similar problems or if its just my lucky misfortunes. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:33
I had the exact same problem adn spent many months and a considerable number of dollars chasing it. I finally gave up when the problem got so bad I was afraid to drive the car. A guy in Nyngan spent a good deal of time looking shaking and poking at things. Something many self proclaimed experts were unable to do.

The problem IS the supension bushes on the radial arm. I think that is what it is called. Diagonal arm from front left of chassis to front right of axle. Should cost about $50.00 plus fitting.

Dont replace your king pin bearings as one kind gentleman did for me.

Good Luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 18309

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 21:08
Check ALL your bushes and mounts on the front end. Also wheel bearings, the bearings that work the swivel hub, etc..

Ive heard of it, but heard of many remedies too.. Its never the same thing 2ice.

good luck!
AnswerID: 18313

Reply By: simon - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 22:58

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 22:58
Talk to binskins at wauhope ( spelling?) they have come across this problem several times and will point you in the right direction i had the same prob with my GQ bushes were ok it was pointing towards the kingping bearings but some prick stole my car before a had chance to track it down.
AnswerID: 18320

Reply By: Member - Bruce - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:55

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:55
i had a similar problem with my gq patrol ute . Mine would start with a very slight vbration and end with the steering wheel violently shaking. had to pull over and stop the vehicle all would settle down would check every thing nothing obvios ended up being the tie rod ends being worn replaced all the stearing links and the stearing damper wich fixed the problem.
AnswerID: 18328

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:09

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:09
Where are you located, because before you spend heaps of money, trying all sorts of fixes, I know a company that has great experience on this problem.

WHAT IS MORE HE IS HONEST.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 18349

Follow Up By: Vojta - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 21:14

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 21:14
Thanks everyone for the hints and possible causes, think i'll start by looking at the various bushes etc and go from there. I guess the worse part is that its a intermitent problem which comes and goes and its hard to pin point.

As for my location Col i'm in the Sydney metro.

Thanks again.

Vojta
FollowupID: 11510

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 22:26
that is good you are in Sydney.

I suggest you speak on the phone to Narrelan truck wheel alignment.

The man to speak to his name is Reilly.

He really knows his way round your car, and has the fix for what
i think is a known problem.

Anyway it will cost you only a local call, but I would be very surprised if he does not have a solution.

I used to send trucks to him when I worked for Kenworth.

Regards

Col Tigwell

AnswerID: 18372

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:49

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:49
The other thing GQ's suffer from is sus Steering Boxes.... Also a few have had the bearings in the steering column go south too...

Maybe...
AnswerID: 18379

Reply By: nugget - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:03

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:03
Does you Patrol have a suspension lift which may have put your castor angle out of specs? We used to own a Chev C20 4wd that suffered from this problem dramatically. After many people looking at it finally someone fitted some wedges between the axle and the leaf springs thus rotating the front diff assembly and therefore altering the castor angle. This fixed the problem. The vehicle had standard suspension.
AnswerID: 18447

Reply By: RussellS - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 09:45

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 09:45
Might I ask at what KM these various problems have occurred? Sounds like most of them have done quite a few, and probably never been touched in these areas. Almost sounds like some preventive maintenance regime in the likely areas would be in order, even if the problem isn't evident on similar vehicles?
AnswerID: 18473

Follow Up By: twandy - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 22:54

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 22:54
My shakes start at 90 and stop at 100. Has done this from the day I picked it up new and still does. Many other Nissan owners have complained of the same thing.
FollowupID: 11709

Sponsored Links