Darwin

Submitted: Friday, May 18, 2007 at 08:20
ThreadID: 45603 Views:1929 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading off in 2 weeks and are trying to figure out the approximate time when we will be in Darwin so that we can book into a van park.

We have heard that in june/july it is absolutely necessary to book a site.

What are others experiences with trying to get in unbooked and how long is enough time to spend in Darwin ?

We were thinking that 2 weeks would be enough or is this to long ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 09:00

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 09:00
I have been in Darwin at that time with no problems getting into a c/park without bookings.Iusually stay at Lee Point c/park which I would reccomend as it hasg ood facilities and not too far from town.Two weeks in Darwin would be fine as there is lots to see within a days drive.You might need more time if you are going to do Kakadu and Litchfield.
AnswerID: 240699

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:18

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:18
Thanks The Rambler for that info. Looks like 2 weeks will be fine from what I can gather after talking to a few people.

We though that a days drive into Litchfield would be enough and that we will do Kakadu on the way back home south.

As for Lee Point Caravan Park, I have found some less than complimentery comments on the net regarding this park, so am wondering if this is really where we want to stay. Unfortunately, they do not have a web site to look at.

It also seems that the other parks on offer are either close to the airport or out of town by 20K or so at Palmerston or 26K at Howard Springs, which isnt that far really. I guess its also a matter of where you can get in.

Now its just a matter of deciding whether to book ahead or just turn up and hope for the best.
FollowupID: 501649

Follow Up By: bruce - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:30

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:30
We stayed at Lee Point C/P a year and half ago , we had an ensuite....magic...could not fault the place, except maybe for the midgies...which we were told was because some people insisted on watering thier sites in the afternoon and that apparently fires them up.....it is not far from the huge shopping cente at Cassuarina and even not a very long way from the centre of Darwin.....cheers
FollowupID: 501668

Reply By: PandJ - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:10

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:10
Hi Cruiser,

Two weeks will be ample in Darwin as you should see all in that time.
Recommended accommodation from us is Free Spirits C'van Park. It's located between Palmerston and Darwin city on the main highway.
It's a couple of k'ms from Palmerston which is very handy for shopping without going to city.
Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 240713

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:33

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:33
Suggest you allow more time in Litchfield NP. the camping grounds are good, especially the smaller ones, though you may need to arrive a bit earlier in the day to get a spot. There is a lot to see and do in the park, so avoid disappointment by allowing more time there.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 240719

Reply By: Member - peter C (WA) - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 15:51

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 15:51
I stayed 2 weeks at Lee Point last June. Was a bit of a domestic a few sites away one night but we found it quite acceptable.

Would agree that Lichfield deserves a few days. And it's a fair hike to day trip out of Darwin.
AnswerID: 240791

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 16:20

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 16:20
Not sure about the Lee Point caravan park but we used to live in Brinkin which is a suburb just down the road from it - it's a more expensive type of suburb with some really big houses and was a great place to live. I generally went to Casuarina beach but drove to Lee Point a few times and it was quite nice foraging amongst rocks and stuff washed up on the beach.

We did a few day trips to Litchfield, you can see it all in a day, all depends on how long you like to spend at each spot.

Darwin isn't a particularly big place or busy and Palmerston isn't that far away.
AnswerID: 240807

Sponsored Links