Thanks for the help

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 20:38
ThreadID: 4796 Views:1525 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who gave me advice over the past few months ie Fridges, Fraser island etc.

Just got back from Fraser and had a sensational time. No problem with Dingoes, Midgies or Backpackers. Only people I had any problems with were arrogant tour bus drivers. However, them aside everything worked perfectly

Thanks again

Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 22:36

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 22:36
Did you catch any fish ??Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19458

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:30

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:30
If a body can not catch fish on Fraser there is 1 of 2 things wrong,
1. was not on Fraser island.
2. was deceased.
FollowupID: 12278

Follow Up By: Brad - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:25

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:25
To answer your question Carpe, in a word NO :))))

Not that I didn't try. I ussually do all my fishing at the fish co-op near where I live :)) , however I took the plunge and brought my kids ( 4 & 7 ) a rod so we could have some fun. 2 of the days we couldn't even get any pippies and the day that we did, we only got one and that lasted one cast :(((

I do asure you ThePublican, we were definately on Fraser and I was alive :))
FollowupID: 12682

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 09:06

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 09:06
Brad, when you've been on a trip, return and tell us all that you had a great time, the job's only half done. Come on. More detail. Where'd you stay, what parts did you explore, any interesting adventures, advice for following fellow travellers, funny/happy/sad/bad stories?

Give us the drum.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19482

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:21

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:21
Yea Im with Rohan on that, time to rub it in with a trip report ;)

Cause you know we are all stuck here and not out having a blast of a holiday

what was the go with the Bus drivers? Ive not been to Fraser, so have no idea..
FollowupID: 12291

Follow Up By: Brad - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:38

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:38
We spent nine days and eight nights and camped about 500 metres south of Eli Creek up behind one of the sand dunes. I was driving a 2001 Mazda Brava 2.5 turbo deisel and was pulling a camper trailer from Complete Campsites on the Central Coast just nth of Sydney.

I had a 40l Engel running off a dula battery system and an Evercool Esky. Didn't need to buy one bag of ice the whole trip as I ran the Engel as a freezer.

Did all 4 of the main inland roads but didn't really venture over to the western side. Arrived Easter tuesday to rain and strong winds so was a bit blustery putting camp site together but no major problems. Had the whole camp area to ourselves.

We had heard alot about the dingo problems before we left but only saw about 5 on the whole trip. There were tracks around our campsite in the morning but none came into the annex and when we were out during the day I closed the sleeping area but left the annex just open and there was no sign of entry during the day.

I had also heard about midgie problems but we had none of those either. As far as weather went, we had some amazing luck ie on arriving at LAke McKenzie it started to pour down so all the backpackers and tourist bus people came running back to their transport and left. We hung around for a couple of minutes and the sun came back out and we nearly had the whole lake to ourselves. This sort of coincedence seem to happen the whole trip.

It was my first real offroad trip and I now can't wait to get back. The island is the most amazing place.

Had a long range fuel tank so I didn't need to refuel luckily as it was $1.47 a litre for deisel and beer was $42 a case for light and $48 a case for full strength. As I said earlier we were pretty self sufficient making our own ice etc and we had had planned our meals before we left and had our meat criovaced.

Wonderful trip, will definately be going back. Now starting to plan our trip around oz in 3 years.
FollowupID: 12685

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:31

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:31
Brad, it sounds like you camped in our spot! Good selection. I'm glad everything fell into place - good planning tends to be rewarded with good luck.

I don't know a single person that has returned from their first Fraser trip and who doesn't make the same comment - "The island is the most amazing place." - and who hasn't immediately begun planning their return. However, heed Cocka's words of wisdom 'cause `you ain't seen nothin yet'.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12834

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:49

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:49
Yes- love this site and am always astounded at how many people will offer help when asked for- I hope I put more in than I get back- and I certainly try to.
Re your comments about tour bus drivers- I can only agree- it's very like the ferry drivers on Brisbane river (City Cats) They are incredibly dangerous and think they have a god given right to the water at everybody else's expense. If you get "in their way" they will yell abuse at you and nearly run right over the top of you. I have seen this on a number of occasions and witnessed it personally.
I even had to rescue a father and his son a few years ago who got tossed out of their canoe by the wash of a City Cat driver just after he yelled abuse at them and went within a few metres of them at 20knots or so. (The pair in the canoe were doing NOTHING wrong!)
I reported the incident to the police who did zilch! Disgusting!
AnswerID: 19571

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:53

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:53
PS
I'm not taking aim at ALL tour bus operators or ALL City Cat drivers either,
just a small minority who mess it up for every else!
Cheers
FollowupID: 12379

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:54

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:54
thats "everybody else"
should read my type before I post............
FollowupID: 12380

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:43

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:43
Brad sounds as though everything fell into place and that's because of good planning, credit to you and great credit to this site.
So you only caught one pippi - they are such good fun to get with the kids when you find a patch of them, there are plenty up there. Talk to the blokes who a seasoned fishermen they love to help the kids.

And your planning a trip in 3 years eh? Well remember one of the things that made Fraser so good - you took your time and saw a little bit of this great land, there are a million places like Fraser, don't drive past them and be in too much of a hurry.
T a k e - y o u r - t i m e , and smell the roses. Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19975

Sponsored Links