Discover Australia by 4wd book

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 13:05
ThreadID: 4825 Views:2203 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The book in the shop Discover Australia by 4wd does it have a lot of tracks and trips relevant to Western Australia.MikeGotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:09

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:09
Bought it the other day and will have a look for you over the weekend so stay tuned.
It's a good book by the looks of it but not exactly what I had in mind. Not going to throw it just yet but first glance tells me I'm after something else. Perhaps a tad too judgemental so I'll have a good gander at it again.
AnswerID: 19595

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 17:53

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 17:53
Michael,we bought the book in readyness for our three month trip in a fortnights time.Found it really good for imformation on NP's,major treks(Cape York,Gulf,canning etc)also front section of book has heaps of info on camping,gear to take,first aid and so on.37 pages on W.A(including maps) plus major trip section in back.Only thing we didnt like was maps are hard to read in centre of page(where book folds).Good book but you still need specific area maps.(more detail)
AnswerID: 19604

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:14

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:14
I wrote all of the Northern Territory section for Discover Australia by 4wd as well as the Roper River Trek. All our pics as well. I think that the book was pertinent to fact in 1996 but is becoming a bit jaded now.

Apparently there is a new one coming out but I have not been asked to contribute so far.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 19618

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:50

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:50
Willem, I understand Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage have been asked to update the book. They have a website about their preparation for the journey. I can't remember what its URL is. Maybe someone else has it.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12432

Reply By: Member - Howard- Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:08

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:08
Michael,
this book has been my 4wd bible and major map reference . I have completed 90% of the trips/treks outlined.Map details overall are very good. Some of the other details (fuel availability , permit info etc)are getting dated.
I have found the trek notes for the major treks listed at the back of the book have provided eneough info to avoid becoming geograpically embarrassed.
Some of the shorter treks listed under state entries require translation to updated forestry or Auslig maps as there are new roads/tracks since the book was published.
well worth the money would recommend
regards
Howard
AnswerID: 19633

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:43

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:43
We've had our copy for quite a few years now but I have to agree with Willem, it is getting a bit jaded now. As far as WA goes (where I live) I'd have to say that they trips out of Perth are OK but only include moderate level treks. We've done most of them and found them interesting but not overly challenging. Be interesting to see what they come up with in the new version.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 19907

Sponsored Links