Cape York trip in May

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 15:41
ThreadID: 4842 Views:1908 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to go up the Cape in mid to late May depending on how long it takes us to mosey on up the coast ( tough life eh???).
Could folk with experience and knowledge help with the following questions:
I will be towing a compomatic off road trailer and would like to know the best route to take considering I have limited experience taking the trailer through difficult terrain. I am sure there will be calls of "dont", but this is one of those things ya just gotta do, so helpful advice please. My main concern is the exits out of some of the creeks.
I understand the log crossing at Cyprus creek is unsutable for trailers although I did see an article in one of the magazines about a prado and a campomatic crossing it!
I saw a post about the jardine river ferry not running, does anyone know if it is back in service?
Is anyone else planning a trip about that time that might not mind some company? I dont snore too loud and my missus looks pretty good :)
Has there been much rain through the cape lately and has anyone any recent road updates?
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:19

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:19
Andrew we are also going to the top at the end of May we can guide you through these obsticals because we have done it many times before. We do all the planning all you do is follow and have fun.
At the bottom of this reply click on the logo and see what were all about, we are giving some supper deails .
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 19683

Follow Up By: CJ - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:55

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:55
Do you have brekkie and lunch deals too?
;)
FollowupID: 12483

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:37

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:37
funny what an extra p will do.
No only good advice and guidence and fun .
All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 12571

Reply By: Tony - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 05:39

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 05:39
The Campomayic will make it ok to the top as long as you drive to the conditions.

No rain in the past three weeks and all the roads are open, a bit rough below Musgrave and a bit of care below Archer. The graders have started out of Weipa a couple of weeks ago and I heard they are starting from the southern end as well.

The road through Lakefield is a bit rough north of Laura to Kalpower X-ing, the rest ok with care. Slow trip into Iron Range, all rivers are low enough to get through.

Travellers have started to head up weeks ago due to the dry wet!!!!!!!!! and some on their way back.

Enjoy your trip to one of the best spots in Aus.
AnswerID: 19714

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 08:36

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 08:36
Hi Andrew, If you admit you have limited experience it may be worth your while to come and do our Nationally Accredited course whilst you are in Cairns. We offer discounts for patrners specially if your missus is a looker. Either way pop in and say hello on your way thru Cairns and we can tell you about the spots only the locals know about. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 19721

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:02

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:02
Hi Rob,
Thanx for your reply. I am considering doing a driver training course on the way up but I'm not sure how well the budget will react :) Funnily enough it was you guys I was thinkinf of because of the positive way I have seen you respond to posts in this forum. Its very encouraging for us who are still learning the ropes :)
I will certainly take you up on your offer to drop in and have a chat though.
Andrew
FollowupID: 12611

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:28
No problem Andrew. I will see you when I am looking at you. As for the course, can you afford not to do one? I train many ppl on thier way thru Cairns and virtually without fail they thank me on the way back saying how much safer and more confident they felt.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au

Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 12616

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:34

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 13:34
G'day Andrew
Went up "The Cape" late May last year. We don't use a camper, but came across plenty of people with them. From what we came across, campers were doing the OTL ok. However, the only breakdowns we came across we trailer related. Have a friend who did the trip last year with a Campomatic and they managed fine . I've also seen a video actually supplied by campomatic to a customer showing one of their trailers doing all the crossings of the OTL. It's a good watch if you can get hold of it.
AnswerID: 19744

Reply By: Member - Paul - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 15:34

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 15:34
Andrew

We are also on our way to the Cape (currently in Yamba for a week).

We (myself, wife and 3 girls) are also towing a camper trailer and expect to cover most of the area for a well over a month.

Will look out for you - we are Bronz Prado with Green Trailer and Black Thule Box on roof.

Good Luck

Paul
AnswerID: 19752

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:05

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:05
Hi Paul,
We will keep our eyes peeled for you. We will be driving a silver ( or Blenheim Silver for the more purists amongst us) pulling a campomatic. If in doubt, look for SA plates.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 12612

Reply By: greengo - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:19

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:19
hi andrew my wife and i [who isnt bad looking ha ha i also dont snore to loud] will be leaving central vic on the 25 may for the cape, also travelling with another couple both towing campers expect to be in mackay about 5 days later if you wish to cotact us you may on 0428332201 . I have a fare amount of offroad experience towing campers regards phill+pam
AnswerID: 20079

Sponsored Links