Blue Mountains

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:13
ThreadID: 4874 Views:1861 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I heading down to the Blue Mountains just looking for some ideas on what to do and some tracks in the area that are easy to find.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:34

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:34
i love that area
i think its the hidden city closer to lithgow but dont take my word i am suremore will add used to live up that way many relatives still do this was more an area i bushwalked rather than drive but i do remeber and article where you drive through a small tunnel(hidden city?) and a few others up higher oh yeah and the glow worms if the track is still open for a night drive (good if you have kids) i heard they shortened that track last year so it may be a longer walk if you read mags it's in many 4 x 4 mags for day trips or grab a guide book
from memory (somewhat like a clogged up sieve) i think thereis one on the Nissan website (terknotes).
but of course you should only tackle these tracks in a Nissan .(jk)
not sure about a zx.
have fun either way1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 19818

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:40

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:40
There are good views around Blackheath but they are 2WD - out to Perrys Lookdown etc, there is also the Glow Worm Tunnel out from Lithgow and Newnes (bushfires have recently gone thru some of this country), out from Jenolan Caves you can go to Kanangra Walls (top views) then go thru the Kowmung River area (4WD) then to the south. There is also Yerranderie out form Oberon/ Kanangra Walls area.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 19828

Reply By: Steve L - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 08:36

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 08:36
Simon,

Don't know when you're planning on heading to the mountains, but I'm doing a day trip up there on Saturday (17th) from the Zig Zag Railway at 11am with a group of people from another online forum. Probably be doing the powerlines track behind the railway, quick stop at Lost City for those who haven't seen it (the road is now closed and you have to walk the last 800m - which of course was the best part of the whole track), and then go exploring a few other tracks for the afternoon.

Steve
AnswerID: 19842

Follow Up By: simon - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:57

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:57
I will be in katoomba then i will run it past the ball and chain, i was camping near the lost city last july and went to the glow worm tunnel etc is a nice area. (about the only one i know)
Are you still likely to be going if it is raining? and how hard is the trip we will have the little one with us thats all.
Which forum are you guys from?

Thanks

Simon

FollowupID: 12689

Follow Up By: Steve L - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 07:52

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 07:52
Simon,

I don't know at this stage how much rain there's been up there, or if it is specifically raining more on the coast only. We'll make a decision by late Friday I expect.

The trip is being organised by a few of us from the Overlander forum (http://forums.overlander.com.au/ - Clubs & Events section), and it's likely to be easy-medium (depending on the mud!!), although we're only taking 'real' 4WDs - decent ground clearance, low range, etc. No need for any real mods, though A/T tyres or better are sometimes an advantage. The tracks are usually part dirt roads as per glow worm and blackfellows, part steeper and rutted, etc., though the rougher bits usually have a detour for those who don't want to do them.

Steve
FollowupID: 12712

Follow Up By: simon - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:21

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:21
Thanks Steve

I have a GU with 4" lift 4.2l turbo int running procomp xterrain tyres should be no real prob for me.

How can i get incontact with you to check and see if it is on? as im heading to katoomba in the morning and wont be able to check my email

Thanks

Simon
FollowupID: 12770

Follow Up By: Steve L - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 07:41

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 07:41
Simon,

Call me on 0412 188 221 on Saturday morning, and I'll be able to tell you what's happening.

At this stage, we'll be going up (I don't think there's been anywhere near as much rain up in the mountains as in Sydney), and taking it from there. If nothing else, it will end up being at least a social gathering - but that's worst case. I'm sure we'll find something that can still be driven.

Steve
FollowupID: 12814

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 09:28
Simon, the "Blue Mountains" is a huge area stretching from north-west of Sydney to waaaayy down south. You could spend months (literally) exploring the BM National Park. What particular region of the BMs are you heading for?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19846

Follow Up By: simon - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:50

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:50
Rohan

I am heading for katoomba, this weekend well from thurs to sunday

With all this rain might get to try out my new tyres.
FollowupID: 12688

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:31

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:31
Simon, from Katoomba, the tracks mentioned in other responses are about all that's available for 4WD - around Lithgow, Newnes, etc.

If this weather keeps up, you'll certainly get to test the new tyres. Hope it stops, though - too much rain makes the camping bit less enjoyable.

Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12753

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 11:55

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 11:55
Have a look at post 1492 on this forum. Some easy tracks you can do all in a day.

Also, give the Blue Mountains National Park office at Blackheath a call. They are a good source of info and will advise of track conditions and closures.
AnswerID: 19863

Reply By: Froilan - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:05

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:05
Simon

get hold of the 4wd treks close to sydney book form boiling billy publications and you will see a few trips in BM area. I did the newnes, glowworm tunnel trip which s fairly eay. Also tried the first part of the baal bone gap trek (past the blackfellows hand trail) and the trail was fairly steep. definitely need low range and some good clearance in the 4by. had to turn back though as it was getting dark.

will be visiting lithgow later this month so i will try and complete the baal bone trek.

AnswerID: 19952

Sponsored Links