wisemans ferry

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:49
ThreadID: 4894 Views:2109 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
went to wisemans ferry for first time yesterday,what a great spot anyone know of any 4wd trails or good camping spots in the area???

any assistance appreciated thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:59

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:59
Hi Brian
Know of a few tracks but most will be shut now. There was the convict road, upriver northern side and another up to Colovale from up river on the southern side. The NRMA guy in W/F (Martin) is a 4wder and might be persuaded to tell you some of his best tracks/spots. He pointed me westerly towards the mountains 10kms from the river-but said it was rugged going and scared me off.
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 19925

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:04

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:04
Wisemans Ferry area is great - on the northern side of the river approx 1Km to the west is the Old Great North Road - this is closed, but a short walk up this section approx 600m or so you will see some great examples of convict workmanship with some of the best engineering feats of early European road building with huge stone walls and culverts. Road was closed due to some unthinking 4Wders grabbing convict stone work out from the walls to place in difficult sections of the track to enable them to get up - so to save the heritage it was closed. Also you got people stealing the rock for their own uses - bastards. Parr State Conservation Area across the other ferry(Webbs Ck) at Wisemans Ferry has some good trails between here and Colo Heights.
Elsewhere heading west from Wisemans to St Albans and towards Wollombi you will find trails into Yengo NP. Here good trails are along the Mt Simpson trail, Boree track, Yango track, Finchley track. Follow the Yango track right thru to the Putty Rd - turn right and go approx 2.4 km up the Putty Rd and you will find on the right the Old Settler Rd (Convict trail) and this will take you thru to Paynes Crossing (there will be a creek crossing here that varies between knee to waist deep depends which way you go) just north of Wollombi. Another spot which has just started to be opened for public access by the NPWS is Big Yango (see photo of my rig - one of the views from Big Yango). Big Yango is along the Yango track and NPWS have a permit system operating and permits 4WD access along a number of very scenic trails. In addition the Gosford NPWS also run a very cheap guided tour system called 'Discovery' - you can book on one of there 4WD tours or if you have a group ask them to cater for your needs. For details on any of these trails etc contact 43 204200.
PS. NPWS have also just upgraded there web site so go have a look.
PPS. Did you go to Mill Ck east along the Wisemans ferry Rd once you cross onto the northern side of the river - nice camping, fire wood and gas BBQ's.
FollowupID: 12699

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:20

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:20
I love that area did a couple of day walks up there and even drove the handbrakes new Barina from ther up to Broke and back to Cessnock where we lived for a while took a wgile and dodged a few wombats luckily i agreee with convict labour and ingenuity had a grreat days drive .
wish i had some pics to show you i'll have to dig some up.1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 19954

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:12

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:12
Brian, have a look at the Yengo Trek notes on this site, and various other publications. There are also some good tracks throughout the Watagans, just east of Yengo.

The Yengo tracks are all pretty easy 4Wd but you can find some pretty tough tracks in the Watagans.

Yengo and Watagans are only about 30 mins north (NE and NW, actually) of WF.

Have fun.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20025

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)