My two bob's worth on <span class="highlight">Globalstar</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:09
ThreadID: 49364 Views:3436 Replies:7 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
I have no connections with Globalstar. On several desert trips in 2006 (Simpson, Hay River, Birdsville Track etc) I had no issues with Globalstar connections. Last June I spent a week in the Great Victoria Desert. I've just returned from six weeks travelling from Adelaide to Alice Springs, Gary Junction, Canning Stock Route down from Well 33 to the Talawana Track, Rudall NP, Carawine Gorge, Marble Bar, Port Headland, Ningaloo Reef, Mt Augustus, Tom Price, Karajini and Millstream national Parks, back to the Canning via Talawana Track, Wiluna, Kalgoorlie, down to Esperance, Cape Le Grand and Cape Arid NP's and back home. On both trips I was always able to get a good connection wherever I was. Occasionally I had to wait for a satellite. I don't have an issue with their phone service and the customer service has been fine, and for me it's a useful device. Cheers, Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:38

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:38
I'm OK with it too Niel, although I do have to wait for sats more often these days, and it drops out more often. If it gets much worse I'll start to get annoyed with it. I still don't know what they will do with the CDMA side of things, main reason I bought the phone was because of this service, if telstra turn it off I need another phone (next g has to be telstra I am led to believe, bet they can't wait to turn the old system off)

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 260547

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:51

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:51
Glodalstar is rubbish crap no good I wouldn't rely on them if it was a life and death situation.

All the best
Eric

AnswerID: 260548

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:23

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:23
And you have had a frontal collision ,your vehicle batteries are kaput ,you have no 12v to fire up the uhf or the hf , the nearest mobile phone coverage tower is 200klm away from you and you forgot to replace the epirb batteries when due , still crap ???
FollowupID: 521964

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:40

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:40
Well knowing my experiences with globalstar you would be in trouble.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 522049

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:13

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:13
Your kid is bleeding to death and your sitting there happily waiting how long for a Sat??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 260553

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:28

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:28
A lot less time than waiting for Telstra to give their so called 95% coverage , you cant even make a phone call from Blue lagoon on Moreton island 35klm from Brisbane.
FollowupID: 521970

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:32

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:32
I thought the thread was talking Sat phones not Next G??

As good or bad as Next G may or may not be I have not seen a tower for any mobile phone service in the Simpson....Yet!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 521971

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:38

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:38
Exactly ,as I said / implied , you wont be waiting as long for a satellite to go over as you would for Telstra to fulfill its promises
FollowupID: 521972

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:43

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:43
As telstra says they cover 95% of the population. They don't say the country.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 522050

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:39

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:39
Hey John

My boy won't bleed to death, as my wife and I have a senior first aid certificate and we both know how to use the Sat phone.

My Sat pone has worked 98% of the time 100% of the places I have used it, Yes it is Globalstar.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 522061

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:30

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:30
The example I used was obviously a figuratively speaking example, maybe your just broken down in the middle of nowhere either way the issue is you will be waiting forever to get a Sat signal off a Global$hit Sat if at all and struggle big time to hold it if you were lucky enough to get a signal.
This subject has been done to death and I have detailed on here my experience with GS several times before. Do an archive search.

You want a Sat service that works buy Iridium simple as that.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 522109

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:20

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:20
Geeze, you get to do all the good trips........................:-))))))))

Actually, I'll back up Neil's claims - he was talking to the stockbroker, getting the payoffice at work to sort out his last slip, even phoning up the kids on the Saturday nights to see how the parties were going :-)))) But seriously, every night he'd get through quicker than I could log on to VKS.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 260555

Reply By: brummie pete - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 20:35

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 20:35
i must admit my Globalstar works ok too .
It does however take a while sometimes to get a Sat connection and i wouldnt want to be bleeding to death on the side of the road waiting for a connection .But for brak downs and ringing home its OK .
I would change to one of the other carriers if they could gaurantee 100% connection and reception anywhere in Australia ,but do any of them offer that ?
AnswerID: 260570

Follow Up By: Olcoolone- Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:09

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:09
Try Optus Mobilesat.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 522008

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:45

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:45
MY sat phone does its on telstra.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 522051

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:21

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:21
I would recommend Optus, but not Globalstar. If anyone wants a cheap Globalstar phone come and see me, but I am not paying them one more brass razoo...

Of course their customer service is crap - they have so many complaints they are kept totally flat out.

While I was getting my CODAN NGT transceiver installed yesterday there were three Globalstar incidents in the retail outlet I was at...

People are not happy - the service is not what was promised, and not what is charged for.

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 260595

Follow Up By: stocky - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:30

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:30
...and they admit it
...and the parent company is launching new sats as fast as they can get launch slots
...and they will give you free rental and just pay for calls
...and good dealers *should* tell you ALL of this - but some dont
...and all you have to do is ring and speak nicely to the people on the phone and they WILL help you

...and if you kid is bleeding to death on the ide of the road and you dotn knwo your first aid your a damn idiot and NO phone/HF/EPIRB is gonna help - it will be up to YOUR first aid skills to save them...you DO HAVE a first aid certificate DONT YOU?

(andrew - not directed at you mate - general comments ok? :-) )

FollowupID: 522015

Follow Up By: stocky - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:31

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:31
sorry - missed some

...and I have both a GSTAR & Iriduim
...and I prefer the GSTAR - even if I have to wait a minute for a sat

:-)
FollowupID: 522017

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 23:55

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 23:55
Thanks stocky, but first aid certificates aside - sitting snr first aid exams is an occupational hazard for blokes like me...

... but it took them too long to admit it
... It is more than waiting for a minute in my experience - it plain don't work most of the time.
... my kludgy Telit phone's batteries - internal and rechargeable need replacing, and I've still had precious little use out of them, but of course I have to send the phone back to them at $300 plus parts to get it fixed
... they argue and bleat about the rental... no free rental for me - obviously I am an obnoxious sh*t
... some - perhaps most, of their dealers are as much in the dark in my experience - they get told stories like "You might have to wait a few minutes to connect"
... and I have spent too much of my precious time on the phone with them... more than I should need to.

Their letter admitting it only told half the story.

They never offered to provide free anything - it has to be extracted from them like pulling teeth.

They just send bills - no updates about their progress - or lack of it. Those 4 satellites were going to be up in March... it's now September where I am, and they're still not up, right?

G* should be another insurance policy - it ain't in my experience. When I or a client has wanted to use it, it has not worked at all... I had it on for 4 hours in Purnululu after a snake bite... just to tell the missus I was waiting for the RFDS and that I was still alive, and it never connected long enough to connect a calll - much less say anything useful.

Similar situation in Oodna...

The phone's been checked out - it is not the phone - its the big vacant space up in the sky.

In short, it's not a good insurance policy, first aid or not.
FollowupID: 522033

Follow Up By: stocky - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:10

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:10
as per my comment - my post wasnt aimed at you! :-)

The Telit has always been a POS - sorry you got stuck with one :-(
I've got a qualcomm

I've always received good detailed info from GSTAR on the problem.

I dont pay any monthly plan fee at the moment. Took one call. Dealers where sent letters telling them that users would be offered free plans if they wanted them till the problem was fixed.

The 4 sats where launched at the beginning of may - due to delays at the launch facility - not GSTAR - it also takes time to position them once launched. Sats hold a FINITE amount of fuel - you cant brign em in and refuel then so that fuel has to last the LIFE of the sat - so movign them into position has to be planned and as fuel-savvy as possible. The 2nd lot of 4 go up later this
month.

Oh and as a professional emergency services worker - snr first aid is also an occupational hazard for me too! :-)

I use my GSTAR to run my business and provide tech support to customers - no complaints from me on its performance

Sorry if some of you havent found that to be the case - as a matter of interest - how many people who have major issues with GTAR have Telit or Ericsson handsets???

FollowupID: 522037

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:17

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:17
Interesting question stocky - and I wasn't taking it personally, I swear.

G* is still delivering Telit stock to dealers - I think they have a health... start again... I think they have overdosed on optimism - either that, or they are trying to get rid of them.

Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 522039

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:22

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:22
Hi all,
Your experience with sat phones actually depends a lot on where you are at the time ie the sat system for globalstar, erickson & tellit use is USELESS in the Kimberley, due to a serious lack of satelites available. They have been promising more for an age but it doesn't seem to be happening.
The only sat system we have found to be pretty reliable up here is the iridium. We have had a motorola iridium for years and have had a great run from it compared to all the neighbors and travellers who have had the other system ( and got rid of them) and spent more time getting dropped out or no service available than anything.
So it's not just a matter of phones it's real important where you are in Aussie and what satelites they can see of their own system.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 522056

Reply By: Member - Craig D (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:29

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:29
Thanks for the report Neil and trust you guys had an enjoyable trip.
AnswerID: 260650

Follow Up By: Member - Neil M (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 17:16

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 17:16
Thanks Craig - nice to hear from you. Yes we had a great trip. I thought the posting would get some polarised responses but it was good to see other people are happy with Globalstar - I thought I was alone. I just wanted tell what my experience was in some pretty remote places over several trips. I've also had good reponses from them when I have contacted them. Hard to understand how experiences can be so different. Interesting no one commented on my opening sentence. Cheers, Neil
FollowupID: 522154

Sponsored Links