Tibooburra - Sturt NP

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 12:20
ThreadID: 5020 Views:3314 Replies:5 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Am planning a trip to Tibooburra via Broken Hill in July. Will be camping around Tibooburra for about 8 days and exploring the area. Can anyone give some feedback on the best places to visit/camp/road conditions etc. What about Dead Horse Gully? What's the water situation in TB at present? I'm not planning to wash the car or anything but the occasional shower might be nice - is there somewhere in town where we can get a shower? Is there drinking water at campgrounds at present? What can we expect to pay for unleaded? I see the Tibooburra Festival is on during July school hols - what can we expect? We're looking to get away from the crowds. We are two families with 4 kids aged from 5-13. That should be enough questions for one post. Appreciate any info. Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:35

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:35
Ron, we travelled north from Broken Hill over the recent school holidays. From Silverton we kept heading north and ended up entering SA through Brougham's Gate. This region has many tracks despite the paucity shown on the Hema outback NSW map. The 1:250,000 series were excellent. We then swung north in attractive dune country and got as far as the creek that runs from Milparinka in the east (can't remember the name). This was in flood so we had to double back a short way and cross back into NSW at the Smithfield House Gate. From there the road heads north along the dog fence. We had several river crossings but it had been raining heavily so these would be dry most of the time. We swung across to Milparinka, but I think in dry weather it would be possible to make your way to Cameron's Corner completely on the SA side of the fence. Certainly, in the dry, you could reach the Tibooburra/CC road by continuing north from Hawkers Gate on the NSW side. It isn't permissable to use the dog fence maintenance track. Throughout this section of the trip there many excellent bush camping spots - we prefer dune country with plenty of red sandy areas on which to unroll the swag. The kids had a ball. Flies were shocking. When you leave Tibooburra for Cameron's Corner, there are some good dune camping spots just before you enter the Sturt National Park. In fact there was a bore on the right of the track (with someone already camped there) if you like running water.
AnswerID: 20535

Follow Up By: RON - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:05

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:05
Thanks Bob, the trip's looking better all the time.
FollowupID: 13187

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:11

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:11
Dead Horse Gully is nice camp only a couple of minutes out of town. There was water in the tank there a few weeks ago but I don't know about drinking it, no open fires but there are free gas bbq's. You can have a shower in town, you'll see the sign. Head out to the corner, you can camp there or 30k's away at Fort Grey.
The main drag out to the corner was pretty rough but may have been repaired by now. I think unleaded was $1.08 at Tibooburra, $1.18 at the corner.Hooroo
AnswerID: 20541

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:34

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:34
Ray, what's at Fort Grey?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13181

Follow Up By: Ray M (Vic) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:00

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:00
A fly population of about 500,000 :)

Sturt built a stockade there for his animals while he explored further. There is a walking track but because of the flies I didn't bother
Parks have a very large campground there, BBQ's, dunny, water.

If you're going that way and interested in the early explorers then visit Pooles grave and Depot Glen, 15k from Milparinka which is 40k south of TB. Sturt was holed up there for 6 months in 1845 (?) while waiting for the drought to break. Poole his 2ic died of scurvy, they buried him under a grevilla tree and blazed it with his initials and the year...still visibleHooroo
FollowupID: 13208

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 09:39

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 09:39
Thanks Ray. I think I'll leave out the bit about the flies when I relay the info to the Mrs and kids. The kids want to do Fraser, I want to do this trip and the Mrs is fence sitting. So, I'm not sure where we'll end up in July. I guess there's always October ...Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13267

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:06
Rohan, we meet again..

We (family 2* pre teen) were there in June a couple of years back...no flies in the colder months. Ray is right re: depot glen etc, he forgot the walk to the top of Mt Poole to see the Cairn they built there to keep them fit and amused over the 6 mths..still there after over 150 yrs. We's been done this trip and also Fraser. My money is on this one for winter, Fraser would be better in spring. We still rate the winter trip we did out there the "best ever" by a country mile. Syd, Cobar, Whte Clfs, Tiboo, Corner, Inna, Cooper, Strez, Arka, Wilpena, Hill, Syd. Looking for an excuse to go back..
FollowupID: 13388

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:26

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:26
Hey Bill. How long did you spend doing that trip? Did the kids enjoy it (really), or did the find the "outback" a little monotonous?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13393

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Friday, May 23, 2003 at 08:44

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 08:44
Rohan,

I think it was 3 weeks, the length of the school holidays in any case. Yes, the kids loved it. We gave them books on Bourke and Wills etc to read up on the trip which made it come to life for them. We also did a day trip over to Lake Eyre (Moolarina) from Arkaroola, it's a big day but worth it.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 13412

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:37

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:37
Thanks for the info.

Last night the kids ganged up on me to go to Fraser. I'm still uncertain - would rather save Fraser for October. Either way I only have 2 weeks in July and 2 weeks in October, so both will be fairly short trips. I can easily do Fraser in 8 to 12 days but would like to put more time into the Corner - maybe 2 trips required.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13424

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:39

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:39
Ron, have you tried an archive search using Tibooburra, Innaminka or Sturt as key words? There are a few previous threads that may have some useful info.

We (2 adults & 2 kids) may be doing the same trip, in the same general fashion (base camping), at the same time, so I'll be interested in the responses you receive.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20543

Follow Up By: RON - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:03

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:03
Rohan, thanks for the info. Yes, I've searched the archive and picked up some good tips. Might see you there. We'll be the ones in the red Prado and white Landcruiser. That should narrow it down a bit!
Thanks
FollowupID: 13185

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:33

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:33
Hey guys, we often see questions about this sort of trip but rarely any comments about how it went.

How about a follow up to let usknow what was worth doing and what to leave out.

Oh! If your through BH on the way home call at the Fire Stn and let me know how you got on. The billy will be boiled.

Thanks
Duncs
FollowupID: 13202

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:38

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:38
Dunc, I agree. I think David may be working on this as part of a "members only" function where we can swap trip reports, waypoints etc.

Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13203

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:05

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:05
Hi all,

I to am doing the Corner Trip and shall report back all details. One question for the past travellers.

Would I have to carry extra fuel for the trip from Silverton to Milparinka via the Border Fence (approx 450ks) I am driving 100 Series Petrol/Auto. Tank cap 145 lts.

Thanks

JDLife is to good to be dead.
AnswerID: 20673

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:14

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:14
JD, I'm guessing your usage will be about 20 litres per 100 kms. In that case you'll get a little over 700 kms from the tank. I understand there is no fuel at Silverton so you trip really starts in BH (add 50 Kms). So, it all depends on how much detouring you do.

BTW, you can't actually follow the track that runs along the Dingo Fence. That's illegal. So I assume you mean one of the other tracks either side of the border.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13280

Follow Up By: Treading Lightly - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 14:24
Rohan,

Thanks for info. Does the road nesitate low range at any stage? Sandhills? Deep sand/ Bulldust????

Ta

JDLife is to good to be dead.
FollowupID: 13281

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 15:45

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 15:45
JD, I don't know. I haven't travelled it yet. The comments above are from other contributors. From the same source I understand there are some dunes (I get the impression they are not large) toward the Milparinka/Tibooburra end of the journey.

I'm looking to spend a few nights in the BH/Silverton area. Hopefully that will be on a private station. Then, an o/night stop somewhere along the route (the Mrs doesn't like the idea of doing it in one day, actually neither do I) and another 3 to 4 nights up near the corner. So much info here, its hard to pick the "where and what".Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13287

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:42
I use to live at Tibooburra and if you want some info contact the NPWS at Tibooburra. The roads up there are suitable for the Commodore right up to Innaminka (don't last long though) - so 2WD all the way. There are some sand dunes near Cameron Corner that will have a hard clay base on the road - be careful around Fort Grey to the Corner as the road does turn sharply sometimes as you go over the top of some dunes - few people have rolled camper trailers and trucks etc.
Around Tibooburra go have a look at the Warrattta Bendigo gold fields & Gumvale Gold Battery(good 4WDing) - see NPWS for info. Other spots are Mt Poole, Depot Glen near Milparinka; do the Jump Up & Mt Wood Loop tracks and also enquire about doing the sunset track behind Dead Horse Gully along the fence line (good 4WD) and back thru Whittabrinna. Another spot on the way to Cameron Corner is the WAKA historic woolshed that is made out of cane grass - not sure if you can visit it - enquire at NPWS. At Innaminka make sure you go to Coongie Lakes.
Have fun.
PS. you start to get into Gibber country out that way (small rocks everywhere) and they are a problem for trailers if you do not have shielding on them to stop rocks going thru your rear window.
PPS. Soft sand starts to emerge around the Cooper Creek around.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 20708

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:23

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:23
Thanks Jeff. Sounds like there's too much to do in just 12 days. So, the hard part is picking which bits, and then working up the accrued leave to do a return trip. One problem I have is the Pathfinder's pathetic 80 litre tank and 20/100 fuel economy (range 400 kms). So, without carrying half a dozen jerries, I need fuel stops. I'm not keen on just cruising the Silver City H'way but some of the "back" tracks add too much to the total Kms. Any suggestions?

BTW, I gather (from KiwiAngler) you're now the "Yengo Man". Yengo is my closest "escape" and I like the sound of Big Yengo for a few days so I'll be in touch. Do you have much knowledge of the Watagans "next door"?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13392

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:30

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:30
Oh, Jeff, what would the weather (and flies) be like in the first 2 weeks of October?

The kids really want to do Fraser, but I'd rather do that in October and do the BH to the Corner trip in July. If October isn't as good as July for the Corner, I may have some "ammo" to swing opinion to my way of thinking.

Thanks.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13394

Sponsored Links