Truckster

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 15:57
ThreadID: 5053 Views:1623 Replies:11 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone seen Truckster ?? Maybe he's out on the road, been very quite.
I have a message for him.Carpe Diem
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 16:02

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 16:02
Cocka,

I remember hearing somewhere that he was coming up to Sydney for a week, so if its this week, he's probly off the air.

Sam.
AnswerID: 20685

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 17:24
yep, he was grumbling about heading North for a week or so to Sydney, sounded like he was really looking forward to it tooSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 20692

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:07

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:07
Yep, Truckster went up to Sydney on Saturday. Don't know for how long. You'll know when he's back online agaian:-))Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 20703

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:36

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:36
I sort of miss trucksters sarcasim.
AnswerID: 20707

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:22

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:22
geezzze I thought the forum had just improved heaps without the bias
AnswerID: 20720

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:49

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 21:49
But he sure knows what 4x4 to be bias about, he must be out showing it off.
FollowupID: 13315

Follow Up By: Martin - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 10:41

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 10:41
really
shouts and makes a lot of noise with little knowledge or expertise
I would have thought loud and uncouth would have been a better term
FollowupID: 13333

Follow Up By: David N. - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:41

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 07:41
Martin, perhaps if you don't have something nice to say, you should consider saying zip.
Personally, I think one of the really great things about this forum is that when people ask a question, others take the time to offer advice- and Truckster definately offers lots of that- much of it well informed.
There is no requirement on anybody's part to take the offered advice...
Cheers
FollowupID: 13610

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 07:36

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 07:36
Thanks for those answers. I sort of new that I was opening a can of worms and would get some of the replys posted. Truckster must be a bloke with good taste firstly because he says this is the best forum in the country & secondly because he's smart enough to drive his great vehicle of choice.
Lets forget words like sarcasim and bias, I call it passion.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 20739

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 10:52

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 10:52
All we need to do now is get him to become a member - I reckon it is the amount of data that he posts that is causing most of the excess traffic. Not a dig just a reality. Maybe someone could buy it for him if we cannot get him to subscribe.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 20754

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:56

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:56
I'll throw in $5.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 13343

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 13:34
Just a matter of priority and I think Truckster prefers to spent his money on his rig!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 13346

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:27

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:27
David does a status catagory automaticaly appear before the name of anyone who signs on in the forum (Member, Visitor etc) ?? or is it optional when we set up our profile ? I'm never sure if a Q is from a member or whoever - it surprises me about T.

I raised this matter in a thread once before as a means of identifying the status of any forum user. In your "Current Users" statistics there are 4 catogories, I'm not sure of the difference between visitors & anon and without wanting to limit the access too much I believe there needs to be a limit to the number of free log ons allowed.

For my own purposes I find the site extremely informative and entertaining, I learn heaps and will probably continue to use the site until I [if ever] stop 4x4 driving. Others may log on once a year when they go on holidays or a buying a new vehicle and would be happy to pay a reduced fee for a restricted no. of logons.

Did you get my note about Brawn 4x4 ??
FollowupID: 13351

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:30

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:30
Could we arrange a "poormans auction" to enable the" missed one" of the forum a membership??? ;-) Jen
FollowupID: 13353

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:43

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:43
I'm with Mal and Geoff. I'll toss in a fiver. God forbid if David instigated any of the suggestions about restricting the Forum and we lost the Big T.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13361

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:54

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:54
You guys have got to be kidding me!!! Have a look at Trucksters posts over the last year and you'll see he can obviously find money to spend on his rig, GPS, camping gear etc. He tells us he's gainfully employed and only a week or so ago was spruking for business on this very forum. Surely the only reason he hasn't coffed up for a membership is that he'd rather spend his money elsewhere. If you guys really feel the need to donate some money why not direct it to a charity in true need.

FollowupID: 13363

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:54

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 16:54
You guys have got to be kidding me!!! Have a look at Trucksters posts over the last year and you'll see he can obviously find money to spend on his rig, GPS, camping gear etc. He tells us he's gainfully employed and only a week or so ago was spruking for business on this very forum. Surely the only reason he hasn't coffed up for a membership is that he'd rather spend his money elsewhere. If you guys really feel the need to donate some money why not direct it to a charity in real need.

FollowupID: 13364

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:18

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:18
Melissa,

I agree. Everytime I see one of Trucksters posts about things on special, what he has just bought etc I feel like responding "Spend $50 here for the best bargain around". However I wouldn't want to start something. I agree Truckster is proud and passionate, but membership to ExplorOZ is the best thing money can buy (besides beer : ))Just Do It!

FollowupID: 13376

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:52

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:52
Melissa/Glenn, take a deep breath, turn your humour buttons back on, and read the posts again.

LOL
RohanLife just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13419

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 23:10

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 23:10
yer put me down for $5 too, he does know a lot about where to get stuff and he does post with a passion!

Rattattooie!So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 13487

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 17:40

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 17:40
you can use my members money , anythink to make him legalBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 13514

Reply By: Member- Rox - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:23

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:23
He's saved me $$$ on Rollerdraws & fridge slide THANKS TRUCKSTERAround Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 20822

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:12

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:12
Rox, This is Jen, could you please pass on the info Truckster shared with you about rollerdrawers as Geoff is about to build a storage unit for our Mav and we searched Bunnings last night for some good heavy duty slides for the metal drawers he is getting made. Any infor would be appreciated. Jen
FollowupID: 13470

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:21

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 01:21
Jen check out his site http://error404.at/birds

Around Oz 06/2004
FollowupID: 13495

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 02:02

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 02:02
Jen Try now Trucksters SiteAround Oz 06/2004
FollowupID: 13496

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:29

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:29
BTW folks, I think discussing someone like this is inappropriate. Whilst I don't mind someone making personal comment about me, to me directly, I wouldn't enjoy watching others talk about me (negatively or positively) in an open, public Forum.

Lets give it a rest, eh?Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20845

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:03

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:03
Rohan I'm reserving my right of reply as I asked the initial question, I had a valid reason, he gave me advice on this forum and I wanted to thank him on this forum. I also saved $$$.
Other than a couple of (jokingly) sarcastic comments early in the thread, to which I responded, I think the other comments are valid. I understand your point of view and do not dismiss it's intention, but I'm like the big T and can look after myself as I'm sure he will when he's back in town. I don't believe any comments are derogatory, and if made by ExOz members are quite in order.

However, the issue of membership and sponship numbers to this site is very valid and worthy of discussion. David and Michell are trying to run a business, it's not a charity, I don't know what the costs are of doing this but like any club or business there are overheads that must be met.

I believe ExOz provides an excellent charitable service already to many Australians, it's a bit like an inland version of the RVCP. If we can defray the costs over a larger membership we will all continue to benefit. David rightly raised the issue of a non members extensive time spent on the forum not as a complaint, but it served to highlight his (David the owners) problem.

Truckster comes across as a good man with a big heart and he asks for advice as well as giving it, it shouldn't provide him or others similar with special status other than membership. There are other willing contributors also, most of whom have paid for the privledge.

I'm all for supporting David, he can pull the plug at any time.
Kindest regards.
FollowupID: 13457

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:05

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:05
Rohan

I absolutely agree.PT
FollowupID: 13458

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:23

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 16:23
Cocka, I don't disagree. However, its a bit like talking about someone, as if they're not there, when they're standing right beside us. Something we tend to do to women and children, mostly. Bruce may/may not feel that way, and can obviously express his own opinion.

On the subject of membership, if you read my comments from other threads you'll see I'm right with you on that one. The trouble is "bagging" someone rarely achieves positive results. David and Michelle (and the members) need to find what will entice non-members to join, and contribute financially, as well as find ways to get retailers and manufactures to realise there's money to made by paid advertising here.

There have been lost of ideas put forward, but mostly from members. It seems we all joined for a similar reason - we all recognise the value we have obtained from the site (from the forum, or other parts) and are we are willing to compensate EO for that benefit. Could we have obtained that benefit elsewhere? Probably, but not as conveniently. Others apparently don't see it that way so we need to hear from non-members as to why they aren't joining and what it would take to get them to join/contribute financially.

Regards
Rohan Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13459

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:21

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:21
Rohan,

". . . so we need to hear from non-members as to why they aren't joining and what it would take to get them to join/contribute financially."

So are you going to ask the quetion in the forum?

Live today as if there may be no tomorrow
FollowupID: 13471

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 12:16

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 12:16
Sure Wombat. Done.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13543

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:29

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:29
Jeez Wombat, not sure I'll take up any more of your challenges.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13639

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:47

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:47
I read the thread this morning. Holy bleep - it's bigger than Ben Hur. You seem to have born the brunt of a lot of aggression due to non-member guilty consciences. I thought you might be opening a Pandora's box. Oh well my Nanna used to say; "Don't ask a question unless you really need to know the answer.

At least EO has a plethora of research done for them with regard to their marketing.

As you say - "Life really shouldn't be that serious."

WombatLive today as if there may be no tomorrow
FollowupID: 13655

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:11

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:11
Yeah, that's what I thought (but be careful - they're a bit sensitive). I was interested to see that post generated more responses than David's initial call for ideas. I reckon I must have the record for most responses by now.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13661

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:36

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:36
Hey Rohan I had to smile a little when I saw the post go up, thinking to myself "I wonder where this will lead to".
You've been busier than a one armed paper hanger.
I just want to let this one run for a while before adding my 2 bits, it seems to have a self righting factor although at one time I thought it was going to self destruct.
Funny when it all started, I had visions of Wombat turning around and going back into his hole where it was safe
Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 13680

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:39

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:39
Me too Cocka. It looked like self-destructing several times but there always seemed to be a sensible, level-headed somebody to bring it back on track and lower the temperature with a well cosidered and constructive contribution.

I'm giving it a rest for a while. The stiring arm is getting a bit tired.

Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13684

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 15:34

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 15:34
Is it safe to come out of my hole now? I've been hiding in there doing, you know, the things that wombats do!

WombatLive today as if there may be no tomorrow
FollowupID: 13867

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 15:50

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 15:50
Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!! Jeez Wombat. Too much information!!!

But, yeah, its safe to come out now.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13868

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 08:41

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 08:41
Wombat, sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just walk around slowly as wombats do, don't disturb the neighbours. Funny thing about wombats, they are a protected species , pity.

Just a couple of final (I think) matters to mind. I didn't want to divert the other thread with different issues. I'm glad that David stepped in as it dumped his business back in his lap and that came from his original comment about T. In a sense David has a financial committment to this site, we provide the intelectual content to the forum. Without the forum how would the rest of the site function, I would suggest only on a user pays basis.
Business's are about bums on seats and non more than this site.
David advertises in the Aust 4x4 Monthly and says the site is free. Free means free, so why does he whinge that it's getting to expensive because of the traffic, yet he advertises !!
We have also concerned ourselves with something on his behalf, as we are want to do on a forum, that'a what a forum is and we pay a fee to become a "member". But what is a member ?? All organisations I have been a memeber with have given me a right to see the minutes of meetings, vote on resolutions and to see the accounts as presented. Really we are nothing more than customers, some of us are paying for our goods & services & David through advertising "Free" use of the site is giving product away. And he is crying poor !!!
I sort of feel ripped off.
In my humble opinion David needs to reduce the cost he charges for the service and invite more people in with the reward of something special like an annual members BBQ out in some desert, BYO.
I think a couple of more knowledgeable than I advertising gentleman have given David a good pass here, I wonder how far he can run with it.
This post has now taken on the same tennor as the others aaggghhhh
I thought it would be different. Do I sound cranky ?? Hope not.
David, please acknowledge emails. It makes me think they are not being read or falling on deaf ears, I did send one about a potential advertiser & I might have another. Just "thanks" will do.
FollowupID: 13906

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:31

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:31
Interesting perspective Cocka!

I think the reason that the forum users have been so vociferous on this issue is because of a sense of loyalty and belonging. In marketing this ideology is the ultimate aim. Price becomes a secondary factor as consumers will purchase simply because their emotional need outweighs any financial considerations. Lets face it we've all bought something "just because we had to have it".
To paraphrase your self questioning "Why did we become members?" The answer if we're totally honest with ourselves is because we like it here. The people are generally nice, they share similar interests and, as a bonus, we can sometimes gather useful information. David and Michelle not only have "bums on seats" but they also have many "hearts in their hands". Their ability to nurture (and grow) a captive market will determine the ultimate destiny of Exploroz.
I have never noticed the EO advertisement in 4x4 Monthly (I hope that's not indicative of its ability to get our attention) but any business that doesn't promote its products or services is dead in the water. Mind you I do agree with your suggestion that advertising the site as "free", then floating financial concerns does smack of hypocrisy. They should be promoting the feel good aspect of the site. Your idea of organised outings is possibly a good starting point for this.
One question for you if I may. Why do you make the statement "I think a couple of more knowledgeable than I advertising gentleman have given David a good pass here, I wonder how far he can run with it."?

And stop picking on wombats. No natural predators or enemies, except for fools in cars going too fast. Have you ever known someone to be run into by a wombat? And a threat to nobody. What could be purer than waddling around each day eating roots and leaves, believing that life's only purpose is life itself.

FollowupID: 13919

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:54

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:54
I once cuddled a baby wombat, it was really cute and friendly. What do you look like ?? Maybeee..... Nah it couldn't have been.

Those remarks referred to comments made by retired advertising execs to David, would he take the advice and run with it.

Michelle has put a full stop on the debate and said thanks. I believe it was all worthwhile and cleared away a lot of cobwebs, even got a couple of skeletons out of the closet.

The forum seems dull tonight except for some dude asking Q about the CSR & leaving in two weeks, and an Austrian wanting to cross the deserts mid summer with a high lift jack.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 13959

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:23

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 18:23
Truckster has a big helping heart so I am sure he will have bigger shoulders to have a good laugh at those who think little of him.
AnswerID: 20882

Follow Up By: leighh - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:18

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 21:18
I've just joined up this minute and this has been prompted mainly by the circumstances that the Oz team are facing with excessive download costs and in recognition of the likes of Truckster and their contribution to this site. It's a valuable resource we have here and what David and Michelle have accomplished in such a short period of time has, in my view, resulted in a the 4wd community being all that better informed and connected. Many thanks David & Michelle.
FollowupID: 13476

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 11:51

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 11:51
Member or not, sarcastic & biased or not, EVERY body deserves to know what's being said or written about them. You're only belittling yourselves in my humble opinion so let him enjoy his break and ask the questions when Truckster returns (as he hopefully will).

On the membership issue, I have been a member since the very first time I clicked on this site and hopefully I have contributed with some value also. All the while there has always been a concern raised about lack of members yet numbers are growing daily so that tells me that something is going right and that more patience is required. I don't know of any business that made their fortune without some hardship beforehand.

I like the option of a half dozen, or thereabouts, free posts on forum before having to sign up, but only time and statistics will tell us if that works or not. If it doesn't your shot, so that's a tough call to make. Probably why I'm not in business !In here - thinking of out there !!!
AnswerID: 20931

Sponsored Links