DIY Landcruiser oil change

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 13:52
ThreadID: 5071 Views:35889 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

Apologies that this is a fairly dumb question: I have a 92 Landcruiser 75 series. I'm new to owning a 4wd, but someone did mention to me that I should do my own oil changes every 5000km. I would like to give it a go, but don't know how. Any advice anybody could offer on how to do it would be appreciated (even if just to tell me to take it to the garage!).

Cheers
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:12

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:12
justinb

My suggestion (and this is what I have just done) is take it to a garage and ask them to let you help. I did this with West End Diesel (thanks Devesh) and rocked up in my overies and watched, asked questions and helped. I am now confident I can do my own. You may need to buy 2 items though (I did) one is a suitable container to allow the oil to drain in and the other is the filter removal tool thingy (see how mechanically declined I am). It is not a difficult task but one you will need to do if you are on an extended trip away from garages. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 20774

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:15

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:15
1) Take vehicle for a 10minute run to warm the oil
2) Find container which will hold at least 10litres of oil
3) Swap steps 1 and 2 around
4) Undo drain plug at bottom of engine sump and let engine oil drain into container
5) Wait till it is down to a drip drip drip then reinstall drainplug
6) Remove oil filter / filters (anticlockwise) (oil will bleep out of these also)
7) Wait till a drip drip drip and install new filter / filters as per instructions on box
8) Refer to owners manual for amount of oil needed for oil change including filter
9) Remove oil filler cap on top cover of engine (unscrews)
10)Fill to specifications of owners manual
11)Start engine to pump oil around through the engine and filter filters for 30secs
12)Turn engine off and check level on dipstick

Diesel = 5000kms Petrol = 10000kms

Change oil filter each time you change oil

People will tell you all sorts of stuff about how long oil lasts between changes which i think is a direct reflection of how they look after possessions....

Regards............._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:49

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:49
All of above is what I was shown/told....additional stuff was:

5) Wait till it is down to a drip drip drip then reinstall drainplug....replace small washer each time with new washer (mechanic gave me a couple of spares for my tool kit)

6) Remove oil filter / filters (anticlockwise) (oil will bleep out of these also) ...here is where you will need the filter 'tool' undoey thingy...and yes oil does bleep out of the filter about now :-)

7) Wait till a drip drip drip and install new filter / filters as per instructions on box ......use Toyota original filters....and only tighten by hand

I saw 2 examples of engines that were being re-built where the owners HADNT changed every 5000ks and the oil was like a black runny tar, really convinced me to change every 5000 O can tell you :-)

Change oil AND fuel filter every 10,oooks
FollowupID: 13354

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:51

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:51
oooops

also to ensure that you rub/put oil on the rubber "O" ring seal that sits on the top of the filter...also check that the old seal has come off the motor housing when you unscrew the old filter...sometimes they stay on
FollowupID: 13356

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:54

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:54
Have a very good friend of mine in the Oil industry.
he believes that if your running a mineral oil in a petrol engine, change it every 5000kms.

He also told me that if your car ever overheats, change your oil as soon as possible.

Jason
FollowupID: 13371

Follow Up By: Martin - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:30

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:30
jason that is the largest load of bull manure I have heard for a long time.
Your friend in the oil industry obviously knows nothing about oil or lubrication and probably works as a floor sweeper for a back yard oil collection service.

to the original poster the misinformation posted on this thread is alarming and suggest you seek out advice from people that know what they are talking about.
FollowupID: 13395

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:56

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:56
My information may be alarming Martin but it works for me..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:23

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:23
martin

You should calm yourself down a bit you goose!!!!! I am only
quoting what a mate I mine has said. And no he does not sweep the floor you fool !!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 13406

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:41

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:41
Martin and others

The links below should serve as enough evidence to support my mates
claim regarding changing engine oil at 5000km and the effects over heating has on the engine oil. I think my mate has enough experience in the industry to make such a claim. He was involved with v8 supercars for many years before taking up his current postion, and knows a bit more than you martin. If your a sydney resident, I would be more than happy to meet you some day for a beer.

http://motorcare.com.au/oilchange.htm

http://www.valvoline.com.au/warrantyprog.cfm

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/tildeLand-Rover/LRO/oil.html

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/drivers/easy_guides/goodoil.shtml

FollowupID: 13410

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 08:00

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 08:00
Geez Jason... :o).........
I would have to lean towards believing Martin because these other companys you are quoting here have probably only spent millions of dollars in research and development over countless years and years in testing facilities around the world with thousands of staff working around the clock.
I am with you Martin.... Dont worry about what the others say...._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 12:55

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 12:55
Voxson

Valvoline are not an oil company?????????
FollowupID: 13437

Follow Up By: Jock Buchanan - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 13:05

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 13:05
Castrol are not an oil company, they are an oil mixer fixer and marketer.

They buy bits and pieces from proper oil companies and additives supplies and chuck them in a blender
then flog the stuff at prices to mugs eager to part with their money who believe to much advertising instead of doing research.
FollowupID: 13438

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 14:04

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 14:04
Everything i sprouted on about has to happen somewhere.....*backing up rapidly*_____________________________________________

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:26

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:26
gday justin.
pop in to your nearest supercheap autos ect.they have pamphlets on diy oil changes.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20776

Reply By: justinb - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:46

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 14:46
Thanks everybody,

I don't live near a supercheap (Armidale NSW) so I might just follow Voxson's directions. Further foolish questions I would accpreciate some help with:
Where are the oil filter(s) located? Under the bonnet I assume? (as you can tell my mechanical knowledge is vast and extraordinary)
Where do I buy the oil filters and will the owners manual tell me which type I need?

Thanks again
Justin
AnswerID: 20778

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:40

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:40
Justin
24mm socket or ring spanner is required for removing the drain plug of diffs and gearbox when you get that adventurous. Can't actually remember sump drain size but I will be draining oil in next couple of days so will get back to you.
For oil filter removal I use the ratchet style as it fits all sizes and is much easier to operate than strap filter wrench on a raised vehicle.
Biggest tip I can give you other than all of the helpful advice you've received already is this : Buy yourself a Gregory's manual for your vehicle, read it and keep it handy. It will be the bext $40 you'll spend on this vehicle. Without a doubt.
K-Mart and most auto stores will sell your oil filters for about $45 +. My 80 series is a Ryco Z334 and I can't see why yours would be different as it's the same motor but investigate this.
Oil filter is located on Passenger side in 80 series.In here - thinking of out there !!!
FollowupID: 13384

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:03

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:03
Justin,
After you have warmed the oil and turned off the engine, take the keys and hide them somewhere. Why? Sure as eggs, while there is no oil in the engine, the phone will ring, you will leave the LC unattended and someone will want to move it. Sounds ridiculous, but it has happened.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 20779

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:43

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:43
This is where it is imperative that the container you are draining into has ample capacity to take all of your waste oil also. I got caught once where the phone rang and of course I raced inside to answer and excess oil flowed over onto nice clean garage floor. Doh !!!In here - thinking of out there !!!
FollowupID: 13385

Reply By: Member - Wherethefugawi - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:04

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:04
Justin
Nobady has mentioned of what do with the waste oil after you've changed it!

Please Dont Toss It In The Bin For General Refuse ........It should be taken to an authorised waste disposal place so that it can be disposed of in a mannner that wont harm the environment. May be the garage you buy the new oil from will take your old oil back? The Kmarts and auto accessory outlets cant!

Maybe some one in your state can advise you where to take it via a reply to your query.

Cleanaway ( i think a multi national) can dispose of correctly.

Regrads
RichardRichard
AnswerID: 20780

Follow Up By: justinb - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:49

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 15:49
Richard,

Our local dump has an oil disposal facility, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Justin
FollowupID: 13358

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:05

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:05
Its funny, you know.....we take the oil out of the ground and into the environment...then we recycle it through a working engine...and then we are paranoid about where we put this oil again. We dig for iron ore and have huge open cut mines. We melt the ore and mould metal. With this we build cars which end up at the rubbish tip and are bulldozed into the earth again...or left to rust somewhere in the environment. We tap the rubber from the tree, mix it with oil and make plastic mouldings, tyres, paint, bitumen(tar) and plastic bags. These we scatter all over the place including rubbish tips...where we bury it all in the ground again. It doesn't make sense. I like to pour my waste oil on my dirt driveway... to keep the dust down. Eventually it might work its way back down to the depths from where it came and we can then pump it out, refine it and start the whole process all over again.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 13382

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:45

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:45
Willem,
Me thinks you doth jest !!!In here - thinking of out there !!!
FollowupID: 13386

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethefugawi - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:00

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:00
I know exactly what you mean Willem, but does it work?

I am in the refrigeration and airconditioning game and we use refrigerants which were safe but now ozone depleting and as such will affect us all if the industry kept releasing to atmosphere. but what do we do... keep poluting the environment knowing that it would be the opposite to what the law states (not with standing any other evidence)

As for pouring the oil on yourdrive way dont tell the EPA! they will have your guts for garters lol

Dont get me wrong willem but in absence of other info we must follow the law and code of ethics untill proven otherwise.
Richard
FollowupID: 13387

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:08

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:08
Justin
do your self a favour look up your local tafe college & sign up for a basic machanical course it will teach you all this & a lot more ,lets face it if you are into 4wding in any shape or form you will definatly need an understanding of at least basic machincal work & terms
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 20800

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:10

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:10
by the way its only a dumb question if nobody gives you an answer& if you dont ask you dont learn
FollowupID: 13383

Reply By: Peter L - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:15

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:15
Justin, as others have indicated it would be a good idea for you to watch & assist with the service the first time. You are obviously a newby (we all were once) and you may need assistance with other routine maintenance matters - e.g. checking coolant ,brake fluid, power steering fluid, automatic transmission fluid or gearbox oil, diff oils, windscreen washer fluids, fan & aircon belt tensions etc etc.
It could prove to be a serious error if you confuse the various liquids required, or over/under fill.
Also, with regard to oil, do you know what type/designation your motor requires: - Is your motor diesel or petrol? Does it have a turbo charger? Can you read the RELEVANT information from an oil container?

You'll feel much more comfortable withn assistance the first time.
AnswerID: 20802

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 20:33
Justin
If you're hanging round any motor workshops grab a couple or more, of used 20l plastic oil drums. Use one for your waste oil, take it to the tip recyclers when it is full. Cut the other one open to use as your drain pan, cut it just low enough to fit under you sump with hand room.This will be plenty big enough to take all the oil without spilling it when you take it out. Also, be prepared to make a bloody mess. The wind will blow or you will spill the oil out of the filters as you try to manoevre? them out of the engine bay and the drip drip will usually wind upnot in the drain pan. It's crap stuff to get off the concrete so, if you can, do it in your neighbours driveway. I also think you should change the filter with the oil. It seems a shame to run clean oil through dirty filters.
Allan
AnswerID: 20803

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:39

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:39
Hi Justin,

How come you don't know how to change the oil ?

I don't mean to be rude but im a bit shocked that you haven't done this before or even watched someone else.
You may be new to 4wheelin but you must of owned some other car of some sort, i learnt to drive and do basic maintance when i was only 8 years old and just thought every one knows how too, but some choose not to.

Its good you can ask and learn from others who know.

Just two questions,

Where did you grow up ? (the big smoke)
What did you do when you where young ?

AnswerID: 20806

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:41

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 21:41
Im asuming you are older than you may be !
FollowupID: 13390

Reply By: Janset - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:38

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:38
Hi Justinb

Most of the above is good info but a lot is still not answered. What about checking the drive train levels or the fluids under the bonnet. I own a 92 Troopie also, but I am lucky as I have a mechanial back ground.

My advice for what it's worth, go to you local Auto (Marlows or whatever) and order a Gregories Manual for the Landcruiser Diesel 1990 -1994 book Number 513.

All the information and photos are in there and written in a very down to earth manner.

I paid $30.45 in 1994, but the price has not gone up all that much the last time I looked.

When in doubt, go to the manual.

Regards
AnswerID: 20815

Follow Up By: justinb - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 14:04

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 14:04
Just ordered it today, certainly has gone up......now $60!!

Money well spent though I figure.
FollowupID: 13985

Reply By: Dozer - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 07:33

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 07:33
Hi If its a diesel try not to get too much oil on the driveway or your skin, as it can cause dermititis and mad wives' syndrome. It is black and crawls up under your armpits... like the diesel it runs on.
Andrew Wollongong
PS change oil as soom as you can after overheating, and the more you change the oil and filter, the longer the motor will last. The difference between a motor that lasts 150000kms and one that is still good after 400000 is the oil and filter change intervals.
If you are interested, the additive package in an oil wears out with temperature and time. Have you ever noticed the oil you drain is runnier than the same brand oil you are putting in ???

AnswerID: 20831

Reply By: justinb - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:39

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:39
Thanks everybody for your assistance and advice. I have been thinking about a basic mechanics course for a while (but then again I think about lots of things and never get round to doing it!).

I'll try and find the Gregory's manual, I've wanted to get one for a while but didn't seem to be looking in the right place. It may be obvious to those of you who have been in this game for a while but as a new 4wd owner it's a steep learning curve.

I also just have to answer Kev from Cairns in QLD. Actually Kev I was born in city and have lived my whole life in a city, though I have recently moved to a small town. Like 95% of the population my parents took our cars to the garage to get serviced and maintained. My father knew nothing about cars (he's a professional golfer so I can well understand his lack of interest) and consequently I also know nothing about cars. Sure I should have made an effort to learn and understand more about them, but then again, do you know how to fix a washing machine, or repair a computer or tile a roof or trade derivatives on the Sydney Futures Exchange or pilot an aircraft? Probably not, it's impossible to know everything about everything and I mildly resent your implication that I'm some kind of lazy idiot who couldn't be bothered to learn about cars.

For your information, I'm 28, this is my first 4wd and my second car. I bought it predominately to tow the horse float, going camping and chucking the dogs in the back. I'm unlikely to ever tackle the birdsville track, or circumnavigate Australia with an off-road caravan, though it's nice to dream about it and at least have the possibility of doing it.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive and encouraging advice. I'll by the Gregory's manual, investigate vehicle maintenance courses at Tafe and I'll probably have a go at changing the oil, because the only real way to learn is to do it yourself, as long as you learn from any mistakes you might make.
AnswerID: 20839

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 11:16

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 11:16
A case most eloquently stated.

Good luck Justin!Live today as if there may be no tomorrow
FollowupID: 13427

Sponsored Links