Yengo National Park This weekend

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:53
ThreadID: 5075 Views:1931 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and guyesses....heading up to Yengo this weekend...anyone want to join me? Not into 'extreme' stuff...bloody wagon cost too much...but into having good time...leaving Friday night...first stop Mogo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:03

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:03
We were up there a month back but spent the time on Big Yango (an old cattle stud recently purchased by NPWS) in the middle of YNP. I can recommend the time in there. There is a locked gate and you can get a key from Jeff Beddington (Beddo on this forum) who works from the NPWS office at East Gosford. His baby is Big Yango and he does a lot of good work up there, if you give him a phone he may be on Yangpo over the weekend. There are some great tracks in that area.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 20793

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:06

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 18:06
Thanks for the reminder, I spoke with Jeff a couple of weeks ago and must agree he is totally committed to Yengo area. I will send him an e-mail 2 night and see if I can get key and see what he is up to this week end. Sounds like a top bloke
FollowupID: 13373

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:03

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:03
T, welcome "home". How was NZ and the party? Can't do the weekend but I'm getting fidgety so a day run on Sunday could be on the cards. Probably do The Old Settlers Track east to west, or do the track I sent you (Yengo Trek 2) in reverse.

What's your "itinerary"?

I wasn't aware Jeff (Beddo) was "the man". Now we know who to call on to find all those less-travelled tracks that no-one else knows about.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20809

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:38

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:38
Rohan

All went well...daughters 21st was great...I will be doing the "Yengo Trek2" route that you sent me. Will start at St Albans and have first nights stop at Mogo on Friday night and work through to Finchley Sat night then Garlan soome time Sunday. I will use your route and your waypoints
FollowupID: 13396

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:41

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 22:41
Rohan

I will keep the UHF on channel 12 all weekend. maybe we can link up on the Sunday?
AnswerID: 20816

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:06

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 09:06
OK. If not, have a great weekend. It looks like the weather god is on your side (this time).Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13413

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:21

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:21
Bummer. Looks like the weather god changed her mind. How were the tracks?Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13555

Reply By: roscoe - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:31

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:31
Sorry Kiwi, I'd love to go, but have to work this weekend. Next time maybe. Have fun out there. Seeya, Roscoe.
AnswerID: 20825

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 15:06

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 15:06
Rohan and Roscoe

Just got back from my Yengo trek (Yengo2) goodtime, bit cold at night but no rain. Got overtaken by a Forby and a twoby and sure enough 20 minutes later I was flagged down by female asking if I could winch the Toyo off the side of a drop. The rain had made the Yengo track really slippery at the part just before it branches off to the Howes track. Slept Sat night 1/2 way along Howes and finished it off this morning. Rohan the last bit of Howes as you come down off the mountain before you reach the fire trail gate is awesome...best part of the trip.I turned right from thr gate headed North to the waypoint you show, couldnt see anything other than a cliff off to one side and a locked gate! Did I miss something? Called in at petrol station at Garland for a milkshake $2.75!!!!
Rohan your waypoints were all spot on, Had gps linked to laptop and moving map was great...thanks for the info...we should do another one together.
FollowupID: 13560

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:22

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:22
Sounds great. You were lucky with the rain - it didn't stop all Sunday here. I chuckled that the tojo got into trouble but the 2x2 didn't. I agree with you about the track. That last bit is the most fun. BTW, how was the little creek crossing just before the exit onto Putty Road.

You didn't miss anything at that last waypoint. That's meant to be the entry to do the Old Settlers Track from west to east. We weren't sure when we got there (and were running out of time) so didn't do it. When I do that track, I'll do it east to west and see if we pop out there.

Yeah Garlan Way is a bit exy.

Glad it worked out. The wife and kids have me tied up for the next couple of weekends but let me know your plans - I'd (we'd?) love to hook-up for a run.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13636

Sponsored Links