Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 19:36
ThreadID: 5111 Views:1863 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Folks

I have finally convinced 'she who must be obeyed' (FOR ALL RUMPOLE FANS) that we tackle the CSR. We will be travelling on our own and intend to be prepared as best as possible. We have planned the trip in August 2004 which we hope will give us time to really get our act together.
We would like to here from anyone who has done the trip and can give ANY advice that may make the trip the adventure we hope it will be.
All advice re fuel, food, things to see, problems likely to be encountered etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D&G

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:28

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:28
Dave, There is currently a video available on the Canning but it is fairly old. In September this year on our trip down the Canning the makers of the video will be making a new video. There are about ten cars of assorted types and 2 quality camper trailers (Kimberley Kamper and Ultermate) The campers are being towed by a 100 series TD and a 100 series V8. The Video should show a good comparison of cars and more than likely why you should not take campers down the Canning. I would think it will be available around christmas.

Regards big John.
AnswerID: 21011

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:25

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:25
Big John this is big Eric they will need a wide angle lens for both of us .Have you got your steaks cut to size yet . Looking forward to seeing you both in the canning.
Dave we are doing the video in conjunction with life style video productins as John said you can get it around xmas.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
Eric 02 4294 3496
Pete 07 4094 1745Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 13674

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:37

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:37
Dave,

Go to my website www.kempen.id.au Go to 4x4 and once there click on Canning Stock Route. We did a solo/north south trek in 1994 and I have written it up in diary form. there are some pics as well.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 21012

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:50

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:50
We did the CSR last year with 3 other vehicles. as you not planning your trip til next year see if you can get a freind to come with you. It will make the trip much more fun and interesting and will be lot safer if problems occur.
Was one of the best trips I've done and would recommend it to anyone who is an experienced 4 wheel driver who is prepared to take the time to prepare themselves and thier vehicle.
Truly awesome country so take your time and enjoy the solitude and beauty of our outbackBush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
AnswerID: 21026

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 23:40

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 23:40
We are a couple of years away from the great CSR trek yet. But am gathering snippets of info that's going into the file. I am pretty sure David and Michelle of Explor Oz are doing the trip this year (shortly). Keep an eye out for her reports on this site as they will be up to date and she tells a great yarn. Check Treck Notes here.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 21035

Reply By: Darian - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 09:08

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 09:08
vks737.on.net have a link to the CSR page maintained daily by W 237. Info, contact numbers, tips and photos etc.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 21045

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:42

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 13:42
I'm planning on doing it in 2004 also (single vehicle if necessary) - I'd imagine that like me you are starting to read all the bits and pieces you stumble across?

Along with a couple of others, Australian Geographic put out a glossy book on the canning which I can recommend from a very general point of view.

I haven't done any more serious planning yet - all that to look forward to!

Cheers
AnswerID: 21072

Reply By: Member - Dave- Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:28

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:28
Thanks all for your help and advice. The filing cabinet is starting to fill up with all the info we can gather.
Hopefully meet some of you there.
Sure to ask many more questions before the big trip.

D&GDave
AnswerID: 21098

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:37

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:37
Petroglyph - Aboriginal rock art 'etchings' as opposed to painting. I believe most of the art in the Pilbara region are petroglyphs - they certainly are in the Marble Bar area.

We had our meat, fish and chicken vacumn packed by the butcher - there have been 'threads' here before about this , where/what to buy to DIY. Try a search on this site. On previous trips have had meat more than 3 weeks after defrosting but still kept cool in frig - only way to carry fresh meat!

Get yourself the Google search engine - it's free and I get good results with searches. Google site
Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
FollowupID: 13837

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:24

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:24
If you are going to tackle the CSR on your own, be warned at least about the following,

At Savory Creek, walk accross first and check for boggy spots, it is renowned for cars getting bogged half way accross.

Across clay pans, DO NOT deviate from the track, even the slightest.
I speak from experience, it took 6 hours to winch me out with a hand winch attached to 2 other cars.
The black mud seems to be bottomless

Have a enjoyable trip, it is worth doing

Cheers Just made it, King Edward River
AnswerID: 21110

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:44
Funny thing about Savory. We met 5 fourwheelers some kilometres away on the north side of the creek. They were mud bespattered with salt cakes hanging from the under bellies of the vehicles. They gave us a tale of winching and a dire warning to beware!!!!... as we were travelling alone. When we got to Savory Creek I noticed tracks coming in on the left but we turned to the right and followed the creek upstream for a few kilometres and crossed on a prefectly dry surface.

It still remains a mystery............

I can relate to your tale of the salt lake. I nearly came unstuck after attempting to cross just a small corner of one salt lake in the Simpson Desert. Had to redline the Suzki to get out of the mess.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 13686

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:34

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:34
We (3 Subarus) did the lower section in 2001 - from Newman through Jigalong Mission, across Savory Creek to Cannings Cairn (Hema have used our trip log and done a survey of this route). We then went from Durba to Calvert Ra then down to Well 5 and out west via Carnarvon Ra. Great trip over 3 weeks and didn't require fuel drop. Only big dune was the one at Lake Aerodrome. The only other section that required 'care' was travelling NE along the eastern edge of Savory - the rest was easy. Great art and petroglyphs at Calvert & Carnarvon Ra's. This route is a good option if you don't want or have the time/ resourses to go the full length of the CSR.
Permitt is required at Jigalong and fuel is available - check in advance if petrol is needed, diesel should be OK - they ran out of ULP the morning we arrived, even after we rang and checked the previous arvo!
We took a lot of vacumn packed fresh food - veges and fruit individually wrapped/packed in banana boxes. Baked fresh bread.
Water wasn't a problem - some water at Durba and Calvert - excellent water at Well 15 and Well 6 and good water at north Carnarvon Ra (Talbot WH).
AnswerID: 21185

Follow Up By: Member - Dave- Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 12:45

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 12:45
Thanks

Two quick questions.

1. Petroglyphs?

2. I like the idea of vacuum sealing food to keep fresh. Where can these be purchased.

Thanks again

D&GDave
FollowupID: 13747

Reply By: Member - Amanda - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:35
Hello Dave,

We also are planning on doing the Canning in Aug 2004, starting at the Wiluna end (we live in Kalgoorlie) so it seems the easiest end to start!, just a couple of questions.. how long are you thinking of taking .. we are looking at 3 weeks and doing a side trip to Ruddell River NP, which is around halfway (well 23) of the Canning. We have done a lot of extensive research on it, many books, maps etc. It was planned for this August but we are doing the Gibb River Road intstead.
We are also looking for travel partners, if you are interested in joining up, i will keep looking here in the posts or you can contact me via
wwch@bigpond.com hope to hear from you soon

Cheers
AnswerID: 23389

Sponsored Links