Landcruiser 100 vibration

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:55
ThreadID: 5150 Views:4772 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently bought a V8 100 series auto and have noticed an exremely faint vibration through the accelerator between 1100 and about 1400 rpm. Only noticeable when cruising around at low speed. As car is almost ridiculously smooth over rest of range could just be me being hyper sensitive was wondering if anyone else had felt similar. or if could be problem in the making. When in neutral engine at same revs is smooth.
Many thxs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:51

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:51
dp,

Thought this may have been a harmonic vibration corresponding to peak torque of engine, but checked the specs, and V8's peak torque is at over 3,000rpm. Also the V8 would be "drive-by-wire" too, eh?

If it's only faint, then ignore it, or wear thicker soled shoes! Hooroo...

AnswerID: 21325

Reply By: colin - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 01:54

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 01:54
most vibrations through the drive line as minute as you say ar nothing let it develop which means it wont cost any thing till maybe 200,000ks,plus patrols have a vibration at under 1200revs when motors are under load but have not cost their owners any dollars well into the high k,s . 4x4s are very truck like big gears bearings housings and every thing that goes with these vehicles, so dont try and compare them with cars, also if you owned earlier 4x4s the tecnology wasnt there and yoy wouldnt have felt al these vibrations, now you have a quite 4x4 you will pick up any thing and make something of it. Col
AnswerID: 21350

Reply By: tristjo - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:18

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:18
Hi,

My Father owns a '96 Toyota Camry. He has a chronic vibration at a little over 2000rpm, no matter what gear, or what conditions the vehicle is being driven in. He has taken it to a couple of transmission speacilists, all of which agree that a lot of Toyota's have harmonic balance problems. He has not been able to rectify the problem. It was not there when he bought the vehicle, but has slowly developed. He has been informed that it will not damage the vehicle, but it is EXTREMELY annoying!!

Just my experience with this Tojo problem.
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 21379

Follow Up By: dp - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 12:02

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 12:02
thankyou all for your replies I suppose the trick is to head for places where the vibration wont show over the errr bigger vibrations

thx
FollowupID: 13982

Reply By: buff - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 12:46

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 12:46
Can I ask what the fuel use is on the V8? I'm tossing up between a GXL auto turbo diesel or a GXL auto petrol (V8). I want the power to tow a van as I plan to do a lot of travelling on and off road. My leaning has been towards the turbo diesel but I've been told that the V8 is very efficient and that the $10000 (or so) difference in price will buy a lot of fuel. Also that the servicing costs and frequency on the petrol V8 are less. My last cruiser was an '86 auto petrol which is still going strong. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Buff
AnswerID: 22066

Follow Up By: dp - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 15:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 15:54
I had exactly the same choice and opted for the v8 petrol on exactly the grounds you are thinking of (Servicing and price), although the turbo diesel is also brilliant. I use the cruiser for towing a horse float frequently with two horses and for work around town. I have only done about 3000 k so far and havent worked out the fuel figures towing. However I worked out on the last tank which was majority highway country/cruising between sydney and the southern highlands (about 120 -125 kph my missus has a heavy foot) and some city driving in between I returned approx 15.5l / 100 km. Before the cruiser I had a nissan pathfinder which supposedly gets around that, however I dont think I ever achieved it. I would only get 100 k more out of a tank in the country than city. Frankly I am extremely pleased with the cruiser and part of the reason for the good economy is I dont think I drive it anywhere near as hard as the pathfinder.....with that engine you don't need to.! I think if I kept the missus out of the driving seat I would possibly even achieve close to the Toyota quoted figures. Hope this helps
dp
FollowupID: 14502

Sponsored Links