Off track in Simpson Desert

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:42
ThreadID: 5194 Views:1411 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
If you want to go off the designated tracks in Simpson Desert, e.g. to follow the Madigan Line, or to go to the geographical centre of the Simpson Desert, do you need a special permit other than the normal desert parks pass?
Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, May 30, 2003 at 21:47

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 21:47
Different requirements for different states.
In the NT as long as it isn't Aboriginal land it is ok at the moment, parts of the Madigan line in NT pass through leasehold (no go unless permission is given) and the same applies for Aboriginal land.
In QLD definitely no off track access in the NP but outside of this and leasehold it is ok.
In SA no off track in NP or conservation reserve, in fact if the track is not marked on the Westprint map provided with the parks pass for public access you are in trouble and will be fined if caught.

Peter
AnswerID: 21485

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:45

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:45
I use to live in Tibooburra - off road tyre marks in the sandy areas last for years. In WWII a lot of the fighting with Rommel, Patton etc was in the deserts, I believe from the air you can still see the tyre / tank marks left back then.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
FollowupID: 14062

Reply By: jeff - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:51

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:51
SIMON,
I'M THINKING OF DOING A SIMILAR TRIP NEXT JUNE. TURN NORTH OFF THE FRENCH LINE UP TO OLD ANDADO ACROSS TO FINKE AND MT DARE DOWN TO DALHOUSIE THEN ZIG ZAG ACROSS THE RIG RD BACK TO BIRDSVILLE. I HAVE NOT COMMENCED ANY RESEARCH AS YET, THAT WILL WAIT UNTIL I GET BACK FROM 'ALICE' IN JULY I SUPPOSE A CALL TO THE VARIOUS N.P. PEOPLE BUT I DONT EXPECT THEM TO BE VERY HELPFUL.
AnswerID: 21574

Sponsored Links