Nissan 2.8 TDI fuel problem

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 10:48
ThreadID: 5211 Views:1643 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anyone had what I feel is a fuel stavation problem with 2.8 TDI Patrol.
It appeass as jerky acceleration under heavy load in 2 nd & 3 rd, started after car was not used for approx six weeks. Similar thing occured at 35 k but dissapeared on replacing fuel filter. Have now done 50 k, changed fuel filter again and added fuel conditioner/ cleaner. It does not do it every time and varies in intensity. Can problems with electronic management manifest itself in this manner ???
I have a Motson chip fitted since 31 k which I dissconnected as a trial with no change. Hoping it would go away with more use as I am planning atrip to Innaminka next week. Any Idears out there.
Regards
Bob W
99 2.8 TDI, Mt Eliza Vic
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: athol - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:17
Bob, I had a simiar problem with my 2.8d hilux, for nearly a year it would simply stop. it was very intermitent and would happen at some very embarassing times. I tried changing filters regularly (expensive suckers for hilux to) all sorts of fuel conditioners etc. Finally bit the bullet and dropped the tank out to check condition of pickup strainer and guess what I found ? the entire pickup strainer assembly had fallen off and every month or so would suck up against fuel pickup line, and starve the thing. Now the strainer is firmly fixed. Afterwards I was telling someone about this and said they had a similar problem with an old torana but he found a bus ticket in the fuel tank.(the things you find ayy.)
AnswerID: 21560

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:30
Bob
I had a similar problem with my GQ 2.8td. Took me ages to find the problem. I replaced fuel lines and filters etc and checked the tank pickup but nothing seemed to make a difference. So last ditch effort I tried bypassing each part of the fuel pickup section in turn. eventually I isolated to a filter problem. It appeared as though the rubber seal at the top of the filter was not seating properly, even though I had tried a couple of filters, and it was sucking a little tiny bit of air.
Solution put plenty of diesel on the rubber seal before relacing filter and do up nice and firm, BY HAND.
Solved the problem for me, as no more probs since.
Hope this helps
PeteBush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
AnswerID: 21578

Reply By: Cobra - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:30

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 17:30
Bob, I have had the same thing on mine (with 80k). Mainly occurs on slow uphill work, low gears and either high or low range. Apparently caused by the drive by wire system. Solution is to quickly slip the clutch and it seems to disappear. Has also occurred a few times when I have been unfortunate enough to catch peak hour traffic through Sydney, seems as if the gear is either too high or low for the traffic crawl. Other than an annoyance, it has not caused any problems.
AnswerID: 21638

Follow Up By: Bob Walker - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 19:20

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 19:20
On fiddling around to-day I discovered the hose at the tee in the air line to the waste gate actuator was dissconected, the short section of hose had softened and become de-tached from the barbed tee -- this would effectivily dissable the waste gate. This tee was fitted when Motson power chip installed -- it has an adjustabe valve at the end of to alter boost pressure. Poor quality hose was used for the tee section as the original hose either side of tee was still fimly attached and not softened.
The waste gate was seized but able to be freed up with a spanner on the linkage, I tested actuator with air pressure from tyre compressor -- had to keep pressure low to prevent damage to diaphragm. If anyone tries this ensure linkage is free before pressure test of actuator. Unsure if I have cured problem -- maybe fuel cut out was operating due to high boost ?? The only manual I could find is for GQ 2.8 non-intercooled and mine looks different in a few areas, eg no blow off valve on mine, that I can locate anyway.
FollowupID: 14118

Sponsored Links