Cape York Conditions............................

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:06
ThreadID: 5243 Views:2232 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I rang Archer river roadhouse this evening and asked them about the many creek crossings which are encountered on the way up the OTL and how threatening they are at the moment and there response was " the rivers and creeks on the way up the OTL are almost empty and the only deepish ones are the wenlock and the jardine which have a bridge and a ferry "....
I would have no second thoughts about going solo on this trip, but having said that i would be very self sufficient and carry a full recovery kit with plenty of spares, water, food etc...
A stranded vehicle would not wait long for the next 4x4 to come through at this time of year, but the recovery kit etc, is absolutely a must ...
I dont know about everyone else but it craps me to tears when you come across a stranded vehicle without a recovery kit and you have to use your own snatch strap and roll out your own 20mtrs of sling through the mud, etc..._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Reply By: rlbye - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:26

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:26
Tell me about it.....just in April was up at the Cape and on way back came across a young bloke , his wife , 11 month baby , and his mother , stuck on south bank of Cockatoo Creek , had been there two hours , no winch , no snatch strap ,cable or chain.....only a high lift jack ( that he had already knocked two front teeth out with when it slipped) and a shovel (that he had cut his eye with...could not leave him there all night so used my brand new winch and straps and shackles to get him out....was to late by then to go on so we went back to Elliot falls for the night...next morning when we went across cockatoo we staked two brand new tyres with the wood he had been piling under his wheels......tyres were useless , but what could you do...
AnswerID: 21670

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:30

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 21:30
It even craps you off more when they drive over your strap and bugger it after recovery. then say thanks and drive off leaving you to roll it all up.
AnswerID: 21671

Reply By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:38
Could not agree more, I am happy to give anyone a tow. However if they have no snach strap no tow!
AnswerID: 21739

Sponsored Links