Googs update

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:42
ThreadID: 5262 Views:2001 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everyone,
Got back this afternoon from a week in the scrub. Had good weather and great camp sites. Googs Track is firm and very corrugated. Many of the south side dunes have been scalloped out badly as drivers use incorrect tyre pressures. Measured one dune at 25 metres in height. I had 5 different maps of the area and each gave me a different distance. Anyway I measured Goog's Track from Ceduna to Malbooma as 208km plus 4% on account my speedo underreads by that amount. Camped one night along the track and one night at Goog's Lake. Saw only 3 vehicles along the track but they did not see us. Ran tyre pressures at 20psi. Drove up the little jump-up at Mt Finke. No, did not climb it for health reasons. Decided to re-inflate tyres to 30psi at Mt Finke thinking that we were out of dune country. I was wrong as the dunes to the north of Mt Finke are quite soft. Two dunes stopped me as I was too lazy to drop the pressures again. The track along the dog fence is quite washed out in places. Road to Tarcoola had some severe bulldust patches.A few things rattled loose and fell of the truck. No fuel at Tarcoola or Kingoonya. Nice run south through station country past lots of woolly nags, to the PAR at Lake Gairdner. (Camped there and went for a short walk on the lake).PAR has extreme bulldust patches. Road corrugated most of the way. After Mt Ive Station(fuel and camping available) the road improved to Iron Knob. Saw 2 vehicles from the end of Googs to Iron Knob.
Googs has some nice Mallee scrub and Black Oaks. A lonesome dingo howled for an hour one night. Birdlife included Mallee Ringneck parrots and a variety of Honeyeaters.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:16
Willem,

Could you please do me a favor and cut and paste this into the Trek Feedback section for the Googs Track Trek Notes please. I ask you to do this as the system know who you are and makes the update flow through the system correctly.

Just so you all know we periodically roll the trek feedbacks into the base trek notes. In this way the notes are as up-to-date as possible. This way everyone can partipicate in helping to keep the notes correct.

I can see that it appears you had a good time away.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 21755

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:44
Done !Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 14193

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:49
ThanksRegards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 14194

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 15:55
A little more (early May) info on the Googs track from a friend (modified Subaru H6)

"While in Lincoln I did Goog's track with the local 4WD club in the Outback.
The track is in the main very easy corrugated sand like the Canning with a
couple of larger sand dunes which were not greatly challenging going south
to north. I reckon if you came the other way that they may start to be
interesting. We took 2 days to go up and is a pretty easy pace with time to
stop and look at the views."

To add to this (old info!) - we watched the Eclipse Dec 2002 from Lake Everard and the tracks in this area were in good condition - Kingoonya to Ceduna and also Kingoonya to Port Augusta.
Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything - weight is ! -
AnswerID: 21844

Reply By: Member - Howard- Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:51
Willem,
did Googs over easter .
have to agree about scenery but apart from lizards and birds,and in th ewords of my 16yo son the" total wildlife sighted consisted of 1 dingo and 1 rabbit which were hardly compatable as a conservation policy"
Must say didnt experience any probs at all with the dunes although there was a few cracker ruts along the dog fence after 12 mile gate.
You've got some good tracks in SA.I think I will venture back for a few of the pay to go drives in the Flinders come sept hols.
Howard
AnswerID: 21882

Sponsored Links