This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Some new pics loaded on my rig page. Hope you like them

Cheers

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 13:35
I have crossed the Pentecost River crossing 3 times now and never seen so much water as shown in your pic - good pics all of them
AnswerID: 279344

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 13:39

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 13:39
Have looked at them all now and my personal favourite is the "Bore Shower' one.
FollowupID: 543492

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:04
Thanks for your kind words Kiwi. Travelling solo. The Pentecost was open... but I had never seen it before. Figured that it must have been OKayed by someone who knew. So in we went from the eastern bank.

All was fine - straight down to cruise depth of about 85cm. Trepidation set in - biggest word I could find. Then she just went down and the rear wheels started grabbing at anything - for all of 10 seconds. It only got to 95cm. Then it was just a matter of driving. Midway there's easy driving - you pop out to about 40cm. Then it gets a bit deeper again on the way to the western bank.

Came back after visiting Home Valley which was closed for renovations. This time with gritted teeth - people on far bank taking pics. Wish I'd been calm enough to take my own from the driver's seat.

Later in May we camped above the crossing. Went down to watch some locals parked in the middle having a swim; a German female tourist without footwear gingerly making her way out into the deep; and a group of fishermen, a bit smarter, cooling off in the shallows.

Also saw a 100 series Britz fly through from the west. Top speed water crossing. He made it all the way. Must have had the willys when it submerged. Passengers must have felt like they hit a brick wall.

Came out with the number plate bent horizontal - yep pointing forward hinged on its top screws.

Must have generated some big forces down there

Best regards

Chris

We did a count back the other day and discovered we had done 16 deep water crossings (ie greater than 70cm) in 6 months in WA.
FollowupID: 543583

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:12

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:12
Fabulous photos Chris.
You have managed to capture some fantastic places well done.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279346

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:09
Thanks John. One of my great 'treats' was gaining the confidence of the perenti/goannas. That shot of the one digging at Mingol Camp was taken after about 30minutes of moving gently closer and then digging with a stick beside him/her. I ended up in the mud camera within 60cm as it went about its business.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 543588

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:46

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:46
Fabulous photos Chris, and a lot of out of the way places. Do you have a brief trip report of where you went?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279380

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:18
Hi Motherhen

Loved WA. Must go back to do it properly - now that we've discussed the 'if onlys'. Thanks for photo comments much appreciated.

My partner Dianne (seen in that shallow dive) also maintained a diary. I had hoped to have all the waypoints off my Garmin etrex - but stuffed up the transfer to home computer and lost the lot. Would have made better trip report with waypoints.

You've set me thinking.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 543591

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:08
Hi Chris & Dianne

I don't do the waypoint thing, just go sightseeing. I love seeing trip photos, including close up nature shots, and hearing of where travellers have been in this great wide open land. It doesn't need to be a day by day diary or route planner - just a description of where you went and the highlights you saw. Your touring looks fascinating.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 543624

Sponsored Links