Unhappy with nrma service

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:13
ThreadID: 53197 Views:4667 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody.
Yesterday our 18 year old daughter made a poor judgement call and drove through water over the road, (she walked it first as she had been taught)this was her only way home after the ferry had been cancelled due to flooding of river. Well the car or she was not as good as thought and it stopped, couldnt get it started so pushed it out of the water and called the NRMA has Free to go service for 17 to 18 year olds. Told her somebody would come Ok she waited for three hours then rang her parents off we go in the cruiser to pick her up and deal with it. This road was a gravel road and between to twons rang to cancel and tell them will get it dealt with when the water subsides. The call centre person was not helpfull at all, was rude and informed us they had placed this request on hold but had not informed our dughter of this. So to have an 18 year old daughter caught in this situation was not good. I am not having a go at the servicemen just at having a call centre in Sydney or wherever instead of having the calls being dealt with by local people. There I have had my gripe. If we had not gone when we did it would have been a case of the SES being called out or her being isolated there for three or four days. Then I suppose I cant expect anymore when I rang to check on our coverage when going to the cape on of their call people did not believe me when I told her there would be no mobile coverage. Her comment was there would not be anywhere in Australia not covered by mobile reception.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:22

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:22
Glad everyone is okay.

I called RACQ when I was over at Stradbroke Island and was told sorry the guy is on leave and there's no one else on the island that we use.

Basically go away we don't want to know you

I was not happy
AnswerID: 280234

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:25

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:25
Hmmm,

It would seem to me that perhaps the NRMA has become a little too "commercial".

I thought these organisations were there primarily to assist members in trouble of some kind.
Maybe it's just the sheer size of the NRMA and the number of members to cater for.

I would have to say, on the rare occasions over the years that I have needed assistance from South Australia's RAA organisation, I have found them excellent.

As far as a "rude" call centre operator, this should be reported back to the association as being totally unacceptable, whatever the reason.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280235

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:18

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:18
I know the 'local bloke' !

I have always found RACQ excellent, even with recovery off Fraser Island.

There was a frustrating moment in my then fiances car a few years back where they insisted on a cross street on a very back road miles from anywhere... When I insisted that they log the call and then give me the number of the local operator, all was sweet...
AnswerID: 280240

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:25

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:25
I broke down on a Motorway, so got myself off onto a busy side road. I had no idea where I was, so rang RACQ and they said they'd come. Half an hour later I got myself mobile again and rang my wife to get her to inform RACQ and thank them for their trouble. Before she could ring, the patrol man rang me saying he couldnt find me, and was worried because of the busy road.
Both the patrol and the call centre thanked us for informing them that they were not needed.
Top marks to RACQ.
But had I shared your experience, I would have been ringing and writing to the top end of the greasy pole.
AnswerID: 280242

Reply By: Smudger - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:52

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:52
We broke down on the Hay Plain a couple of years ago - blown water pump. Called NRMA Plus on satphone.

Me - "Hi, we're broken down on the Highway exactly 55kms north of Hay." (I had set the trip meter after filling)

Call Chic - "What's the nearest crossroad?"

Me - "Er, there isn't one. This is the Hay Plain, there's nothing out here. We're exctly 55kms north of Hay."

Call Chick - "What's the most prominent landmark?"

Me - (After doing a 360 sweep) "There's nothing out here, we're in the middle of the Hay Plain. He won't have any trouble finding us, we're exactly 55kms ...."

Call Chick - "I need a nearest cross road or landmark sir."

Me - (Another depserate 360 sweep) "Oh yeah, OK. Tell him we right next to this Landrover Discovery with its bonnet up. There's a bloody big blue tarp set up of the side to keep the 44 degree heat of us."

Call Chick - "Sir, I must insist. I need some reference point for the driver"

Me - "@%&*8 ##@ ....exactly 55kms north on the only road that goes of Hay. How much more #**%#@ exact do you need it!!!"

Once we got past the Call entre, the rest was legendary NRMA service.

AnswerID: 280245

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:15

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:15
When researching RACQ Plus service I asked them if I'd have exactly the same problem. Not if you call the special number (direct) I was told.
Two days later I rang and asked the special number if they had a few remote but gazetted roads I knew of on their maps.
"Sure, where are you and whats the problem."
I joined :))
FollowupID: 544472

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:24

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:24
Its hard to believe that we pay for decent service and lots of people dont get it hen its really needed.

Personally never had a problem with NRMA except for when they refused to believe that an accident when I was 18 was NOT my fault, even thhough the other dirver admitted to being at fault!

Anyway, I suggest you ring the complaints section and write a letter too, let them know what happened and that you are considering going elsewhere if something cannt be worked out for the 'problem'

Good on ya Barbara, get it outta ya system!! Hope your daughters fine and not too peeved about the situation...

Laura
AnswerID: 280249

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 15:18

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 15:18
Kiwi,

Driving the 80 series into your parents garage door and having the door admit fault is what they were refusing to believe ha ha ha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544488

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:02

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:02
ha ha Kev!!

I aint talking about the 80 series!!!! Plus that happened when I was 25!!

Im talking about the bitsa bleep i colt I had, my first car, and leaving the carpark on my 18th birthday - had gone to get grog - at Bawley Point a car, driven by a member of parliament...no names...reversed into me.......damages were never fixed, infact the car should have been a write off!! (but that aint hard in one of those things....)

saw the old girl a while ago with the dings in her still but blowing a hell of a lot of smoke off the tyres....I mean exhaust!! driven by a P plater!!

have a good'n'

Kiwi

ps you'd be leaving out-laws real soon hey??!!
FollowupID: 544671

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:05

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:05
Less than 2 weeks to go, if I find a house :))

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544672

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:11

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:11
Barbara, don't be too heavy handed with your daughters decision. When I was on my honeymoon I made the bride cry because I took the Corona through the 74 floods at Taree. Luckily I knew to gun the engine and ride the clutch, but it was a close call. I don't think she's ever forgiven me.
Even a successful crossing of the Bloomfield with the family was not favourably looked upon, especially when the water got into the back floor. I opened the doors etc when we were across and water poured out, pretty normal I thought. She didn't think so for some reason.........
AnswerID: 280260

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:58

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:58
Thanks Footloose,
No I blame her father she loves going 4x4 with her dad, took her to Cape York when she was 13 when we got on the Telegraph Track told her she could sit in the cente of the back seat so she could see she then proseeded to tell us this was a pussy track. She is looking at getting her first car wants a fourby or a ute her father was determined not to raise a girly girl she even had to change a tye for a male friend of hers did she get some mile age out of that.
Luckily our car was on its last legs and this will force us to look for a new one for me to drive to work
Barb
FollowupID: 544477

Reply By: Member - Steve (Townsville) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 14:17

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 14:17
I've had similar troubles with RACQ, I broke down 120km out of Townsville on the Hervey's Range Rd, no phone service but someone stopped and I gave them my wifes number and said I needed RACQ or a car trailer, about half and hour later another car stopped I gave them the same details and they thankfully gave me some more water (was bloody hot). After 3 and a half hours I started to limp the car home and rang my wife as soon as I had reception.

Now from her end

She received a call at 9am to say that I had broken down, then rang RACQ only to be told that somewhere along Hervey's Range Rd wasn't good enough and they needed more details, upsetting for her because she couldn't call me, so my father in law goes to get petrol and head out to see where exactly I was and to bring water.

She gets the second call and is told that I've been given water and I'm 120km out, so she calls the RACQ and is told they will send someone out straight away. Tells the father in law not to worry driving out.

Then she gets a call half an hour later from a tow truck driver in charters towers on his way to pick me up, explains that we'll want the car in Townsville and he suggests she call RACQ back and organise another truck, so she does, and the RACQ call back to let her know a truck is on the way but will take around an hour to get to me.

Two hours later I call to say I'm nearly home, and she says I better call and cancel the tow truck, calls them up and the call centre lady says "That's great because we're really busy and that's one call we won't have to attend to!!"

The reason for the trip in the first place was to go and retrieve a doll my 5 year old daughter left at a roadhouse that we visited the day before, stopped 40km short of the roadhouse and still didn't get the doll.

And the problem with the car was the mechanic that serviced it over filled the auto and when the oil heated up it expanded and leaked everywhere and onto the exhaust creating a spectacular white cloud behind me. (once it cooled no exess oil left and was fine to drive)

Steve
AnswerID: 280268

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 15:14

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 15:14
In my many years of driving I have called the NRMA on a number of occasions, as have my family. I have received nothing but great service, except for those busy times when they were a little late getting there.

It used to be far better, but I believe they are contractors now ????

I wouldn't let it rest if my daughter was left on the side of the road and they didn't contact her...and didn't intend going..I would take it further with them so it does not happen to the next person.

AnswerID: 280277

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 21:28

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 21:28
Have been with them 23 years used them twice (luckily) once for a call out to replace battery 2 years ago the other was I ran out of fuel due to faulty fuel guage. One minute I hade 1/4 of tank the next I was sitting below empty warning light on and bells & whistles blaring. Told her I have ran out of fuel due to the above. Well sir if you know whats wrong then go and get some fuel and you will be going again. In no uncertain terms told her what I thought of her smart arse reply. She took my details of where I was stopped, as usual the bloke that come out was great and had 4 jerry cans on the back of ute. Took one look at the car,ah vx commodore eh, out of fuel dicky fuel guage, common problem on the vx,vy,vz. Gave him $10 as that is what he puts in the cans and off I went. Still have both cars covered. Have the prado in top cover the other just the basic. But agree with you in regards to your daughter, could have turned out she could have been in a dangerous situation with out your help. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 280364

Sponsored Links