Trip from Perth

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 23:03
ThreadID: 5321 Views:3422 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day one and all...

I am a newby to the 4x4 world and have bought myself a 98 GU ST Patrol 2.8TD and have played around a bit with it but am now wanting to go exploring and maybe do a day or weekend trip but would like to go with someone... anyone interested?

Have not really looked too much into it yet.. but hopefully some of you guys might have some ideas...

Look forward to hearing from ya.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnad - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 00:51

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 00:51
Troy, unfortunately I live in Melbourne but the best advice I could give is to join a club. I too have the 2.8 GU Patrol and I love her soooo much. Im a member of the Nissan 4wd club of Vic. The benefits are; free driver training (excellent), discounts at most 4wd accessories (goodies) stores, organised trips with people who have years of experience. And many more.....

But be warned, 4wd'ind is extremely addictive (more so than cigarettes) and once you start, its not easy to quit......and they dont make patches for giving up 4wding.

As for servicing, I change my oil every 5000kms and filter every 10000kms. I only use Penrite oil, and I get it serviced by a reputable diesel mechanic. Try Brunswick diesels, ive heard they have a good rep, or they may refer you to someone, they are in WA.

All the best
john
AnswerID: 22012

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:03

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:03
Hi we run a friendly 4x4 group out of York with regular day and weekend trips no fees no bush bashers , I also have some trip notes for day trips and overnighters out of York if you want a copy send me your email address and I will send a couple of to you .We are also having a BBQ in the bush next saturday night all are welcome come and meet the group .The BBQ and campfire site will take you about 50minutes to get to from midland .I will email you my contact number if you want more info .Peter phewitson@westnet.com.au

Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 22023

Follow Up By: Hilly - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:05

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:05
Peter,

I wouldn't mind a few of your trek notes. hills1@iinet.net.au

My thanks in advance.

Hilly
FollowupID: 14490

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:06
Peter

Wouldn't mind some trek notes myself.Running out of new places to go on day trips .

Also you can email me if you have any trips planned.Maybe interestred.

Thankslive life to the full!!!!
FollowupID: 14593

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:06

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:06
Troy,
I'm a member of the 4WD club of WA check the web site out. Meets fortnightly on a Thursday at 20:00 hrs, Meeting next Thursday the 12th. I'm on the door, come along and see if it's what you want. We do day trips, extended trips, and are family as well as hard core fourby stuff orientated. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 22049

Reply By: Rob from Land Rover Owners Club Of Wa Inc - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:34

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:34
Troy,
Check out http://www.nissan4wdowner.com.au
This is the web site for the Nissan 4WD Owners Club of WA.
They are having a mud run tomorrow (Sunday) however this is probably not the best event to introduce you to a 4WD club.
Look at the trips page so you can see whats coming up for the rest of the year.
I'm in the Nissan 4WD Owners Club and the Land Rover Owners Club.
If you really want to enjoy your fourby then join a club.
AnswerID: 22050

Reply By: Hilly - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 04:49

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 04:49
Troy,

There is a small sized mag called Western 4WDriver that released a set of trip notes, I think it's called "Day trips out of Perth" or similar. Costs about $8 or so I think. Very detailed directions for some great trips close to the city. Following the power line track up near Sawyers Valley is a great way to spend a day. Some tricky bits here and there if it's wet but most obstacles have a safe way around. You should find it in most large Newsagents and it's well worth the price. There's a second volume called weekend trips too if I recall correctly.

Enjoy.
AnswerID: 22104

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:32
Actually there are two mags that might interest you..."4WD Days out of Perth" and "4WD Weekends out of Perth". Well worth a read and a great introduction to 4WDriving around Perth.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 14574

Reply By: Hugh - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 23:59

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 23:59
Hi Troy,

I am in a similar position, having purchased a '99 GU ST 2.8 TD last Dec on our return from the US.

I've contacted the guys at Nissan 4WD club WA and they seem a nice bunch, though I've yet to go out on a trip. I was going w/e just been but the social director had made irreversible plans. My family and I have done a few of the day trips from Perth as listed in the Western 4WD magazines referenced by Hilly. These are a pretty good intro with good directions and reasonably safe, though from our experience probably better to do with others.

I saw your message above regarding a good mechanic. I can advise you to give the Nissan dealers a miss - after one bad experience never again.

I live NoR, if interested in getting together for some trips then contact me at carlislefamily@iprimus.com.au

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 22164

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:13
Have to second that hugh.

After buying Challenger from dealer NoR have noticed after they did Platinum plugs and time belt some of the bolts have been rounded and then 2 weeks later had to replace pully and noticed that it wasn't even square in line with belt.Most unimpressed.

And for the ridiculous price they charge!!

Now I take car to my regular mechanic who looks after my work vehcile.

My 2 bob worth live life to the full!!!!
FollowupID: 14594

Sponsored Links