Jayco 2006 17.55-4 Poptop

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 21:54
ThreadID: 53226 Views:5399 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Fellow Adventurers,
I have my heart set on buying a Jayco 17.55 - 4 PopTop - tandem van and was wondering if anyone is towing or has recently towed one of these. I would like to hear how they tow and the pros and cons of the design. I am particularly interested to hear how the shower/toilet feature stacks up and any other interior/exterior design features that you may have an opinion about.
I will have a travelling companion who has difficulty negotiating the step into a caravan. I need to come up with an easy extra step design preferably with handrails. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:37

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:37
I bought the outback version of the Jayco in June 07. So far it has been back for warranty work 5 times, some of it major. This does not include the repairs I've done myself. It has only done about 60km of dirt road all the rest has been on tar.
The battery charger didn't work, the floor ply was not joined on a beam and still has a sag in it after the repair, the seal around the ensuite was not done properly, bolts from the water tank were not put in, the floor vynal has a hole in it, the tank outlets were blocked up with glue, the pop top is not on straight (overhangs the side). The list goes on and on. Only some has been fixed. Things like the poptop were too difficult to repair, there was nothing their agents could do about it they said.
Would I buy another, no way, and certainly not out of warranty. Might even be selling mine soon and buying something else just to get over the frustration and anger.
AnswerID: 280389

Reply By: DeniseLH - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 23:10

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 23:10
Thanks Geoff,
Makes me think I should perhaps take a closer look at other makes with the same features. What would you recommend?
AnswerID: 280398

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:14

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:14
We were in the bind of wanting something that we could take down dirt roads but couldn't afford a proper off road van. We had a Jayco Freedom tandem which was very good and we did approx 70000km in without any problems so we thought this was the way to go. Unfortunately their quality control appears to be terrible. went into the local repair agents today to buy some parts and they offered to put me on electricity to the van out the front as its there so often. Still got 5 months warranty to go so hopefully we'll get it right.
Geoff
FollowupID: 544663

Reply By: Ozboc - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:52

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:52
Perhaps buying second hand is not a bad idea some times, The poster above has bought new and has had a lot of trouble , and i imagine by the time he/she sells it they would have fixed most of the major problems that could occur, and they would be selling it because of frustration and not wanting any more problems.

Something to think about when in the market for a van ....... New isn't always the best option

BOC
AnswerID: 280423

Reply By: TD100 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 20:48
Denise,

i bought a new 1755-5 in june last year,its not the best built van on the market but you get what you pay for.being lots cheaper than any other van of this style(bunks and double bed)i am happy with the purchase,being handy myself i can and have fixed many stupid things,bed not secured to wall,no screws in most of the panel joining blocks,wiring hanging out everywhere,cupboards not opening/locking properly,replace most internal lamps with decent quality ones(as for lasting from 10s to 5 mins before burning out) etc etc etc.now i have repaired 99% of the issues with it now and it is a brilliant van.have done about 10k with it and it tows very well with no load levellers or anti sways behind a landcruiser(tandem axle)all 4 wheels are braked which makes a huge difference.fibreglass outer beats ally hands down.as for the toilet etc cant comment as ours doesnt have one.if you like it buy it,i would buy a jayco again.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 280529

Reply By: bing - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:48
I purchased a Jayco 17-55-4 tandem pop-top in October last year. Have had quite a few problems, some small and some not so small. All put together, very annoying. Can't pump from front water tank, cupboard door need replacing and others adjusted to fit correctly,(have been waiting two months for the door), outside tap needed fixing, Microwave did not work, boot locks did not lock, shower rose jams against roof when pop-top down, screw covers missing, water backs-up into shower when full kitchen sink discharged and the shower door needed adjustment A lack of quality control the problem - very disapointing. Having said that, the van is very comfortable and tows very well. I tow with a Ford Futura AU111 Sedan.
AnswerID: 280671

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 07:56

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 07:56
I had the same problem with my water tank and eventually found the outlet of the tank was full of the red thread glue. Cleaned that out and it now works perfectly.
Also found the inline filter touches the underside of the floor and the vibration loosens the connectors. Simply fixed whenever I get air in the line but I now travel with the outlet taps and pump turned off. No faith.
Geoff
FollowupID: 545027

Sponsored Links